• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    So here we go again. Our wonderful legal system makes a criminal out of a law abiding person. While at the same time, we take "illegal immigrants" and make them immune to our laws. Our system must change.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It sucks that you got your pistol confiscated, but you really should have just waited until July 1, or until you got your LTCH. You took a risk and got nailed for it.

^^^This right here.

You shouldn't have taken the chance.

Just count yourself lucky that it wasn't worse than what you received.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    It sucks that you got your pistol confiscated, but you really should have just waited until July 1, or until you got your LTCH. You took a risk and got nailed for it.
    I don't think the OP is a good enough psychic to have known in March that the transportation law would pass and go into effect in July.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm curious here. . . .

If we've come to the conclusion that the OP was indeed on the wrong side of the law in this particular case, then how was the CO "abusing power" and "screwing" him? It sounds like he did exactly what we pay him to do-- enforce the laws.

:dunno:
    The biggest part I have a problem with is the fact that the OP was singled out. The other range patrons weren't even checked due to one being a woman, the other being a child. If this is the case, he could argue profiling. Long shot, but y pick on 1 guy?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The biggest part I have a problem with is the fact that the OP was singled out. The other range patrons weren't even checked due to one being a woman, the other being a child. If this is the case, he could argue profiling. Long shot, but y pick on 1 guy?

Um, because it was a wife husband and kid?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Devil's Advocate here. . . .

If the CO pulls up and sees Dad, Mom, and lil' Timmy shooting guns, and Dad has an LTCH, then he assumes all is well.

Then he sees two other guys, both carrying handguns on their persons, in the other lane. He asks to see their LTCH's. One guy has his, the other guy doesn't.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Of course, my making those assumptions is tough from a single post on the internet. I'm sure there is more information we are missing out on.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Nah that is the whole story. I was not belligerent in the least. I did not know the new law was going to go into effect either. I actually shoot and hunt thier frequently and have never had a problem. I shot my friends pistols all the time. I was informed by the co that even that was illegal you can't even touch a pistol without a ltch. This made me the most irritated because if that was the case then once again the others on the range should have been ticketed whatever the situation. I was informed by the prosecutor that I would be lucky to get my firearm back because the jasper county judge rarely releases them. That in itself is bs because it is personal property imo. The reason I didn't lawyer up is because my wife is an attorney and there was nothing she could do. I don't know I just feel singled out more than anything I have never even had a speeding ticket.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    its a downward spirial . before long you'll be seen jay walking , tearing tags off mattresses , or even worse , reproducing without the expressed written permission of major league baseball

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I don't think the OP is a good enough psychic to have known in March that the transportation law would pass and go into effect in July.

Well I guess he should have just waited until he got his LTCH then. :dunno:

Here is the problem as I see it. The OP OWNED the firearm in question. He even stated the the CO asked if it was his and he was honest and said "yes". If the OP had just been shooting his friend's guns, there would be no problem. The reason the CO did not confiscate the little kid's guns is that he did not own them. It was likely that the kid's dad owned the gun, and the kid and wife were just shooting them.

Its not rocket science here. The OP took HIS GUN to the range which is clearly against the law as it was written at the time. Whether we agree with the law or not is not relevant. The CO ENFORCED THE LAW as it was written, even giving the OP a break by not arresting him for illegally carrying a firearm. (which would have been a JBT thing to do, but still well within the scope of his responsibilities) The OP was not screwed, or treated unfairly. He took a chance and got nailed.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Going by what the CO said, anyone without a LTCH can't touch one at the gun store or gun show.

The OP had his gun on a table not on him.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm curious here. . . .

If we've come to the conclusion that the OP was indeed on the wrong side of the law in this particular case, then how was the CO "abusing power" and "screwing" him? It sounds like he did exactly what we pay him to do-- enforce the laws.

:dunno:

I'm not sure that the OP was on the wrong side of the law.

Let's set aside the OP allowing his LTCH to expire &/or when he renewed it, the simple fact that his range companion had a valid LTCH & when questioned by the CO, claimed to be the lawful transporter/possessor of the handgun(s) for the duration of their range session together, that should have ended the inquirery right then & there.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think the problem is the OP was *carrying* his firearm.

If it had been on the bench, then I dont think there would have been an issue, but since he was carrying with out a LTCH, he was screwed.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Expired LTCH? Did it lapse or u renewed within the 30 days prior to it expiring? This will/would make a difference as well.

No I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express, either. If u received it 2 days later, then sounds like u renewed within the window. If that is the case, and u plead guilty, what recourse do u have since there would be no crime IF those are the circumstances.

What's the date of the incident? What's the date o the issue on LTCH?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    So here's my story. Back in March I purchased a new m&p 9mm and had the itch to shoot it. A buddy of mine who has ltch decided to go to jasper pulaski to shoot his newly built ar and a variety of pistols including my new one. My ltch had expired and I had been waiting for a new one for four weeks. I thought, no big deal my buddy has his so he is transporting it for me. It was in its case new and unfired. So we were at the range for about 2 hours were just finishing up and packing things in. Up pulls a CO. He walks up behind us and asks to see our ltch. Were using the same bench and hadour hardware laid out. He asked if the pistol on my side was mine. I answered honestly "yes sir it is". I explained to him my situation regarding my ltch and even should him the paperwork from l2 and the city regarding my permit. He then informed me that I could not legally take the pistol out of my house and that he would have to confiscate it. At this point I pointed out that my friend was transporting it for me. It didn't matter. I then asked him why the minor children as well as the man's wife next to us were allowed to shoot with no ltch. He informed me it was a judgement call by him to not do anything about it since the father had one and he was teaching them to shoot. I stated but my friend has one and he was monitoring my gun use. Again it didn't matter to him. I was issued a citation for possesion of a firearm and away it went. He then stated that the local judges would like him to arrest for this offense but he wasn't going to. My wife who is an attorney knows the jasper county prosecutor and I thought okay good. Boy was I wrong. By the way my ltch come in the mail 2 days later. The CO told me all I should have do is show it when it comes in and it should he dropped. Wrong again and he knew that. So now I had to plee guilty pay a 250 dollar fine and go through a six month differment. Which means I won't get it back until November. What sucks the most is that as of July 1st this would have been fine. I feel as though I have been screwed.

If it had been on the bench, then I dont think there would have been an issue, but since he was carrying with out a LTCH, he was screwed.

The OP didn't mean that the gun was on his hip. He meant that the gun was on his side of the table. He wasn't carrying it. But once again, he owned the gun. He took it to the range, even if his friend had a LTCH. Granted, it would have been nice of the CO to give him a warning in view of the new laws going into effect or because the OP showed his application for his LTCH. The OP took a chance and got nailed. (I think I read that before somewhere)

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Its not rocket science here. The OP took HIS GUN to the range which is clearly against the law as it was written at the time. Whether we agree with the law or not is not relevant. The CO ENFORCED THE LAW as it was written, even giving the OP a break by not arresting him for illegally carrying a firearm. (which would have been a JBT thing to do, but still well within the scope of his responsibilities) The OP was not screwed, or treated unfairly. He took a chance and got nailed.

Please post the law that says someone else can't take you and your gun to the range.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    If you renewed before your license was expired, you are still good to go if you have your reciept showing renewal while waiting on your new license.

Second, since you were with a Licensed person, it should have been just fine. He has the LTCH, he can have as many as he damn well pleases. Doesn't sound like very good officer discretion me me.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon

Like has been posted, it was on the bench, not his hip.

Top Bottom