• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    amid concerns that taxpayers will be stuck having to pay millions of dollars to clean up pollution from spent bullets

Ah, well that seems reasonable. Taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing poor waste management practices for a range. I know we've got to scoop out the back stops and replace them every so often due to concerns of lead.

A Park district spokeswoman said no trace of lead has been found in the lake.

Ohhhh.... Nevermind. You're just making things up to justify it because you're anti-gun dill weeds. Disregard the reasonableness.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Really depends on who's telling the truth about lead in the water. We're not exempt from being responsible for our negative externalities.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Really depends on who's telling the truth about lead in the water. We're not exempt from being responsible for our negative externalities.

I've seen no evidence that there was range lead leaching into the water, only theoretical thoughts that maybe it might someday...perhaps.

Also, lead in water has a level above which it may be a problem, and a level below which there is no evidence it is a problem. The presence of lead, in and of itself, is not a health hazard...regardless of what the scared mommies think. Before they go shutting ranges down, I would think that the presence of an actual vs. a speculative threat should be found....unless the local government wants to pay market value for the business/property. Absent a genuine threat of some sort (actual and imminent versus theoretical and future), we get pretty close to a takings issue in this case.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Honest question: Even if the lake was lousy with lead, how would you prove it's coming from some particular place?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Groundwater flow mapping, lake water flow mapping, series of water sampling events at known/repeatable locations within the lake...

Sounds pretty involved and expensive. Reckon that council paid for that or would do so to arrive at the conclusion the lead is coming from that range?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    What about all the lead on the other side of the country... from the Cival War battles?

One would think that would be in the ground water and causing concerns by now.

Oh wait... that would put fact before anti-gun thought processes.

Baba Looey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Seems to me that law abiding gun owners should avoid spending money or visiting San Fran and the DPR of California but then again the citizens thereof shouldn't have followed along like blind sheep.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Seems to me that law abiding gun owners should avoid spending money or visiting San Fran and the DPR of California but then again the citizens thereof shouldn't have followed along like blind sheep.

I predict that within ten years, all public and private ranges on the Left Coast will be shut down due to "environmental" concerns. Only the government will be allowed to operate shooting ranges. Now pick up that can citizen, and pay your taxes with a smile. :nono:

Top Bottom