• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I am just curious here. I grew up understanding that if a someone gave you a knife as a present you give them a coin so the knife can't cut the freindship ( superstitious I know ), What do you give someone that gives you a gun as a gift?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You do the best you can to return the friendship that had to exist for them to give you the gun in the first place.

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I am just curious here. I grew up understanding that if a someone gave you a knife as a present you give them a coin so the knife can't cut the freindship ( superstitious I know ), What do you give someone that gives you a gun as a gift?

That's an interesting concept. Where did you grow up? Sounds like something we would do in Mississippi (where I grew up), but I've never heard of this specific scenario. As for what you would give to someone that gives you a gun; I would buy them a knife and give them a coin. =)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's an interesting concept. Where did you grow up? Sounds like something we would do in Mississippi (where I grew up), but I've never heard of this specific scenario.

Very old English tradition and thus superior to everything in the world.

A gift of a knife was believed to sever the friendship, so you "paid" your friend for the knife.

Just don't ask me to explain why it is unlucky to sharpen a knife after dark.:D

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I haven't ever been given a gun as a gift, I know several people that have given/received them in the past. so I was curious.

as far as where I grew up. I have to say the Us. I was born in Bryan Ohio and lived in and north of Fort Wayne for a time I have lived or worked all across this country and am growing up all the time. I have family all over Indiana, Ohio and michigan.

That particular deal with the coin was first presented to me by my grandfather on my dad's side in Ohio who grew up in Michigan. and I really didn't see it again till 13grade when freinds of my Mothers visiting from Baton rouge gave me a knife and one of his friends explained it to me again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom