• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    No it's not, it's a ridiculous point if it's any point at all. In fact, and I'm TRYING to be polite about it, it's about the worst arguement there is considering how may times it's brought up over and over.

If a store doesn't want you to carry a paper cup of gasoline around their store does that mean they should accept responsibility for you while you push your car home? If they don't want you carrying a nail gun through the undies department are they any more responsible for the ceiling caving in on you than they would be any way? If they didn't allow shoe laces would it be their fault if some moron trips over his own feet and falls on his face?

There's a lot of idiots I wouldn't let in the house to use the phone if they had a gun but I'd let them come in and call a tow truck if they didn't. Doesn't mean I'm suddenly their mommy because I told them to leave the shot gun or what ever outside or even better in the truck. I'd have to give a few in this thread a second thought or more based on some of their posts I've read.

What extravagant silliness! We carry guns for our own defense. It is perfectly logical that whoever wishes to deprive us of that takes on the responsibility. The point exposes the pro-gun/don't bring a gun in my home hypocrisy. It isn't about the gun and it isn't about idiots. It is about the means to defend ourselves. It is despicable for any government or individual to deprive someone of those means.

However, this discussion is really mute. Most who carry a gun have made a decision to A.)not go where our guns are unwelcome if at all possible and B.) keep the presence of our guns to ourselves in the event we have to go where they are not welcome (where legal.) A home owner or business proprietor will never know if someone has a gun on them regardless of their feelings or preferences in the matter.

This topic actually hits pretty close to home for me. My in-laws have this same notion that it is disrespectful to want to retain my ability to defend myself in their home. So out of respect that they are my wife's parents I have agreed to never bring a gun in their home. Which also means I never go to their home as I will not be stripped of my rights. They, at least, have the excuse of being anti-gun in general. It is quite a shame that anyone claiming a pro-gun stance would share this same oppressive attitude.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think it all depends on how you view a gun. When I get out of bed, I put my gun in my holster and my cell phone in my pocket. I see no difference between the two - they are just tools that may or may not be used that day. I don't expect someone to tell me that they have a cell phone on them and I don't expect them to 'disarm' their phones when they come in my house. The same goes for a gun. If I can't trust them to be in my house with a gun, then they aren't coming in my house - gun or not.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My sister-in-law asked me not to carry at Thanksgiving. It was my moms house, mom never had a problem with it, so I carried. If someone forbids me to carry in their home, I respect that, just won't go there.

Wow! That sounds way too simple.

You wouldn't have a lawyer draw up a contract and ask them to sign it before visiting and expect them to provide body guards and post a bond to cover any harm you may incure while sitting around a table scarfing turkey?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think it all depends on how you view a gun. When I get out of bed, I put my gun in my holster and my cell phone in my pocket. I see no difference between the two - they are just tools that may or may not be used that day. I don't expect someone to tell me that they have a cell phone on them and I don't expect them to 'disarm' their phones when they come in my house. The same goes for a gun. If I can't trust them to be in my house with a gun, then they aren't coming in my house - gun or not.

Funny thing is, that's exactly all they are and many on this forum will make that arguement when it suits them. Then they'll later get all puffed up about how "special" guns are and they aren't just a tool, they desearve special "rights".

Kind of like this thread.

There are signs all over hospitals and many other facilities saying to turn cell phones off and no cell phone use. If they own the property, they have every right to set the rules, cell phone or gun makes no difference. They don't owe you free use of a land line on demand because they don't want to listen to your cell phone ring or they don't want it messing with their equipment and they don't owe any one some kind of hokey protection agreement because they tell you to leave your gun or stay off.

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    To the question of the homeowner guaranteeing someone's safety: The argument would make sense if the homeowner were forcibly disarming someone. That's not the case... certainly not in Jack's scenario.

If a reasonable homeowner suspects that someone might be irresponsible with a gun, it's certainly his prerogative to say "lock that in your trunk" or be on your way. Nobody is forcing this guy to come in. If this guy wants his assurance of safety, he can leave with his gun.

I think there are very few instances where a knowledgeable, responsible homeowner/gunowner would come across someone who is responsible enough to be in his house, yet not responsible enough to be trusted with a gun. Jack gave a good example (need to call a tow truck), but that's not going to happen very often. I rarely answer the door for strangers. They tend not to come with written assurances of my safety if I open the door.

The "in-law" scenario is much more common: non-gunowner, uninformed sheeple-type homeowner doesn't want such scary things around. In that scenario, I certainly understand and respect the attitude of "I will not go". I'm not in that group, but I do understand it.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel comfortable with Rhino or Kingnereli in my home without asking about whether they're carrying. It'd probably be no more dangerous than riding in a car with them. (No, I have no clue how you drive; that's just a generalization.) One look at my Glock wallpaper would send KN running, anyway.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wow! That sounds way too simple.

You wouldn't have a lawyer draw up a contract and ask them to sign it before visiting and expect them to provide body guards and post a bond to cover any harm you may incure while sitting around a table scarfing turkey?
    It IS simple, they dont allow guns, me no go. I waste enough money on lawyers fighting my ex wife, I wouldn't spend the money on one for this.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I got to say this is prolly on of the most interesting threads I have read here. I like reading everyones different opinions. Since I have personally carried myself. I still agree with the majority. If your CC than its no one elses business.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel comfortable with Rhino or Kingnereli in my home without asking about whether they're carrying. It'd probably be no more dangerous than riding in a car with them. (No, I have no clue how you drive; that's just a generalization.) One look at my Glock wallpaper would send KN running, anyway.

I'm pretty safe when it comes to guns.

Driving? Well, maybe . . . not so much. The left side of my truck is a testament to my driving "skills." I'm okay when I'm in traffic, but you don't want me creeping around a parking lot near your parked vehicle.

The natural conclusion is: do not let me bring my truck into your house for Thanksgiving dinner. If I try to bring it inside, insist that I leave my truck outside, locked inside of my . . . truck. If I bring it inside with me, it's inevitable that I'm going to start driving around in there and any stationary objects are in jeopardy. That's going to ruin Thanksgiving dinner quicker than burnt gravy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino can carry in my home but I will not be a passenger in any vehicle he is driving.

Bad memories. :laugh:

Hah! My current group of cronies and associates have NO IDEA of the treatment I gave you years ago. I should be ashamed, and yet . . .

Is it too late to apologize again? I'm sorry!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Let's see...any of my friends or family whose house I've been to have already known that I carry and had no reason to bring it up (except for those who I talk guns with anyway, and they probably carry). I've never had anyone ask me not to bring a gun into their house. I don't think that it's any more necessary to tell them that I have a gun in my possession than it would be to tell them about any martial arts training, or that I have cash in my wallet.

I am considerate of the homeowner when I am a guest in someone's house. I don't shoot holes in their ceiling or cut up their furniture with my knife. I expect the same when they visit my house. I don't ask them to inventory their pockets/purse or to state their beliefs on government/rights/politics/religion upon entering.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Let's see...any of my friends or family whose house I've been to have already known that I carry and had no reason to bring it up (except for those who I talk guns with anyway, and they probably carry). I've never had anyone ask me not to bring a gun into their house. I don't think that it's any more necessary to tell them that I have a gun in my possession than it would be to tell them about any martial arts training, or that I have cash in my wallet.

I am considerate of the homeowner when I am a guest in someone's house. I don't shoot holes in their ceiling or cut up their furniture with my knife. I expect the same when they visit my house. I don't ask them to inventory their pockets/purse or to state their beliefs on government/rights/politics/religion upon entering.

This sums it up for me.

Top Bottom