• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I will personally make the cc decision based on the situation. Kid, location, crowd, dress, etc.

If someone did not want me carrying in thier house I would respect thier decision.

I do believe that the key to cc is concealed. I do not have the duty to inform and if it is concealed it should not be questioned.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    How did the person notice the knife?

My knife-carrying brother-in-law noticed an unfamiliar knife clip on my pocket and inquired as to what kind of knife I recently purchased. I showed it to him, and while passing by, my mother-in-law scolded me for being "dangerous" and made a joke that she already has a knife to carve the turkey and I didn't need to bring one... The mother-in-law knows that I always have a knife on me, and has asked to use it on occasion, but apparently 3.5" is past her "acceptable length" for carrying.

It made me wonder how "dangerous" she would think a loaded gun is, since she is the type of uninformed person that assumes it is illegal for anyone other than a LEO to carry.

WOW! I never expected to get this kind of reaction to my question! :popcorn:

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    I carry EVERYWHERE, my friends/family know i carry and have no problem with it. As far as people coming over, if i don't trust you to have enough sense to carry safely, i'm not hanging out with you anyway.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I can only speak for myself but I would expect any guests that enter MY home if they were carring to notify me.

Its none of my business who is or isn't carrying at any time. I assume if you are carrying or have a gun in public its not my business unless I actually see them become threatening towards someone else and only then if I believe their intention is harm.

I get a tad ticked when people get a little bit self-righteous about what others should do and act.

BTW, do you inform everyone that you are carrying when you go to their house?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    It seems obvious to me that a person has the right to set whatever rules he wishes in his house. I think what set people off is the assumption that not informing the host, whether asked or not, is a sign of disrespect. Certainly if the host asked, and the guest lied, that would be disrespect. Also, if the guest carried concealed after being asked not to do so, that would be disrespect. Simply to carry and not inform cannot be looked at as disrespectful.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It seems obvious to me that a person has the right to set whatever rules he wishes in his house. I think what set people off is the assumption that not informing the host, whether asked or not, is a sign of disrespect. Certainly if the host asked, and the guest lied, that would be disrespect. Also, if the guest carried concealed after being asked not to do so, that would be disrespect. Simply to carry and not inform cannot be looked at as disrespectful.

:+1:

Very well said!

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Out of respect for my family, I did not smoke while I was at my Grandmothers on Thanksgiving. Because I knew that I would end up rolling around on the floor with the wee ones I decided to leave the sig in the car. example

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Its none of my business who is or isn't carrying at any time. I assume if you are carrying or have a gun in public its not my business unless I actually see them become threatening towards someone else and only then if I believe their intention is harm.

I get a tad ticked when people get a little bit self-righteous about what others should do and act.

BTW, do you inform everyone that you are carrying when you go to their house?
    <---:D Ive said my peace. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wish I could be as picky when it comes to the type of people in my house. Unfortunately, my sister's daughter is someone that frequently attends family functions and is the sort that I would not allow to carry in my house.

For the most part though, I trust those I keep close and would not have an issue with them carrying in my house without informing me. I wish they would, as it would open the discussion up on the issue somewhat but if they don't want to and it stays out of site, then I have no problem with it.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Has anyone ever concealed carry as a guest at someones home for a holiday, graduation, etc, and had the homeowner react negatively?

My mother-in-law noticed today that I carry a 3.5" knife and she reacted very negatively. I feel like I should tell her that I CC and have a handgun in her home while staying with her for several days over the holidays, but I expect it to go over very poorly.

Any opinions?

I did a couple of years ago at my unknown to me at the time anti-gun sisters house.She tried to throw a fit but I explained real quick it was my right as an American and my duty as a husband and father to protect my family. I also told her that is such an extention of me that the only time I notice it is when it isn't there. She agreed to disagree and went on, I haven't been to her house since and probably won't ever go again unless she changes her views.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I had a concealment fail during this Thanksgiving as a guest at not the most gun friendly family. Only 2 people seemed to notice and they are pretty neutral, so, no big stink as of yet.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I understand the views on both sides of the discussion. I don't, however, understand how any of us could logically deny firearm possession or insist on its foreknowledge in our own home but will complain about "gun-free zones" or willfully CC into an establishment with first notifying the owner. Things certainly get more personal when we are talking about our own private residence but if any of us are going to take a hard-line pro gun stance it has to be consistent.

With that said, when I OC everybody know and when I CC nobody knows. I don't feel the need to inform out of respect and I don't expect it in my home. I also have no desire whatsoever to be somewhere that doesn't respect my right to carry. Respect goes both ways.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    There are very few people I would disarm for. I wouldn't be a guest in the home of someone that wouldn't allow me to carry.
    I had this same thought the other day. If someone that knew I carried invited me to their home with the condition that I come unarmed I would decline and tell them why.

I have two cousins in Utah that I plan on going to visit after I move back to CO. The fact that I would be carrying hadn't even crossed my mind until I read this thread.

If I was just going over there for a meal I would probably just CC. But since I will most likely be staying a few days I think I should inform them that I carry all of the time to see if it is going to be a problem with them.

I know that one of my cousins and her husband are both shooters but I don't know their stance on carry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are very few people I would disarm for. I wouldn't be a guest in the home of someone that wouldn't allow me to carry.

Agreed.

It was implied to me in the past (not knowing I always carried) by someone that they wouldn't allow guns in their home, but I don't go there anymore. That's just one reason, but they're all related.

I'm curious if those who could deny access to their home solely because of someone being armed, will they assume full responsibility for that person's safety and the safety of the disarmed person's family while on their premises? Probably not.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Agreed.

It was implied to me in the past (not knowing I always carried) by someone that they wouldn't allow guns in their home, but I don't go there anymore. That's just one reason, but they're all related.

I'm curious if those who could deny access to their home solely because of someone being armed, will they assume full responsibility for that person's safety and the safety of the disarmed person's family while on their premises? Probably not.

Excellent point.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Excellent point.

No it's not, it's a ridiculous point if it's any point at all. In fact, and I'm TRYING to be polite about it, it's about the worst arguement there is considering how may times it's brought up over and over.

If a store doesn't want you to carry a paper cup of gasoline around their store does that mean they should accept responsibility for you while you push your car home? If they don't want you carrying a nail gun through the undies department are they any more responsible for the ceiling caving in on you than they would be any way? If they didn't allow shoe laces would it be their fault if some moron trips over his own feet and falls on his face?

There's a lot of idiots I wouldn't let in the house to use the phone if they had a gun but I'd let them come in and call a tow truck if they didn't. Doesn't mean I'm suddenly their mommy because I told them to leave the shot gun or what ever outside or even better in the truck. I'd have to give a few in this thread a second thought or more based on some of their posts I've read.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My sister-in-law asked me not to carry at Thanksgiving. It was my moms house, mom never had a problem with it, so I carried. If someone forbids me to carry in their home, I respect that, just won't go there.
    My sister-in-law is an anti and there is 30 years worth of bad blood betwixt the two of us, so her opinion means nothing to me, but I always found it funny that when shes not around, my brother starts asking gun questions and wanting to see my gun. I've asked him to go shootin with me many times, he just dont have the nuts to tell his ol lady he's gonna do it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Just got back from NW Indiana and I CC during my stay up there. Family knows and never says anything. I would not feel comfortable going up there without a weapon. My family knows that and respects my feelings.

Top Bottom