• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Has anyone ever concealed carry as a guest at someones home for a holiday, graduation, etc, and had the homeowner react negatively?

My mother-in-law noticed today that I carry a 3.5" knife and she reacted very negatively. I feel like I should tell her that I CC and have a handgun in her home while staying with her for several days over the holidays, but I expect it to go over very poorly.

Any opinions?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can't say as how I've ever notified anyone that I'm carrying (when concealed), whether it's a home or a business. I see no point in doing so.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Everyone that knows me, knows that I carry and in fact, most everyone that I know carries also. So I have never had a problem. I carry where ever legal, and no I don't broadcast that I carry to anyone not in the know.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I can't say as how I've ever notified anyone that I'm carrying (when concealed), whether it's a home or a business. I see no point in doing so.

Agreed. My guests that are actively Pro-2A - I would surprised if they *weren't* carrying. Those that do not - not.

This seems to me like needing to notify my host of my flavor of toothpaste, type of underwear in my bag, and whether there was a possibility that my wife and I might share some form of intimacy while we stayed in the hosts' guestroom. Out of respect for my guests, I don't *need* or require this information from them.

Small children in the house *and* if I didn't bring some form of safeguarding the weapon during sleep. Well, that might be different.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Those who know me know I carry. The others I may come into contact with will only know if they ask. I wouldn't lie to them, but like was said, concealed means just that.

I also don't expect those I invite into my home to tell me. If they choose to tell me, cool.

I hope they all carry, because I sure do.

Last edited:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Went to my mother in laws house today , walked in my brother in law showed me an add for a gun store in bardstown ky ,
    we talked guns for a few , after most everyone else left my mother in law showed me the gun she just bought a couple weeks ago , I raised my shirt and pulled out my CC piece to show it to her ..after un loading it ( of course ) i handed it to her she checked it out asked what it cost .
    Then told me if i ever see another like that at that price to let her know ...

so I guess in short Hell yes i carry to other people houses ALL THE TIME .
    not just on holidays ....:patriot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Figured Id get some flack over my answer but in the end my house my rules. Kinda like here if they dont like the rules dont come over :D

FTR, I'm not giving you any flak whatsoever. I just asked why that was your decision. I'm perfectly fine with that. If I went over to your house, it wouldn't occur to me to inform you that I was carrying, however if you asked me I would probably tell you.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Has anyone ever concealed carry as a guest at someones home for a holiday, graduation, etc, and had the homeowner react negatively?

My mother-in-law noticed today that I carry a 3.5" knife and she reacted very negatively. I feel like I should tell her that I CC and have a handgun in her home while staying with her for several days over the holidays, but I expect it to go over very poorly.

Any opinions?

I think Miss Manners nailed it with in the last few days. Don't know what day's paper it was but it applies here I think.

"In this age of electronic communication from email, texting and facebook, people have come under the mistaken impression that every thought or urge entering their mind is worthy of sharing with the rest of the world in the most available format."

May be not exactly but pretty close.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Three people CC at Turkeyday today . Mother in law ask to see mine first After she give me a big hug . Then promptly took it from me and put it in the Kitchen cabinet and said it did not go with my suit . Then my sister in law came across it about 15 min later and threw a fit . Mother in law told her to be quite , and that she always keeps her guns up there , did not have listen to the evils of gun ownership . God I love my mother in law
    she is the coolest.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I am not into frisking my guests as they come in the door....If they want to carry...I'LL leave it up to them, I will be carrying too...so it doesn't matter.
    Today was Thanksgiving....I had a dozen people over for dinner and I carried all day. I didn't notify them as they came in the door.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have stayed at lots of peoples houses while cc'ing. They never knew and I stayed safe, everyone came out on top. I just take it out of my pants and put it in my bag besides my bed to go to sleep.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I neither notify nor do I expect notification. If I wanted people to know I was carrying, I'd open carry. I expect the same from my friends & family. Someone that I wouldn't trust in my home w/ a gun is the same person I wouldn't trust in my home without a gun! :twocents:

On a side note; we usually have family get togethers @ a local church, due to the # of people. I noticed my nephews empty holster & commented that it looked like he last something. He said he left it in his vehicle b/c he didn't think he should carry into the church. My other nephew said that he probably should rethink that considering recent events. I agreed & said the only gun I left in my vehicle was my AR & the only reason was it was a little difficult to conceal!:D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Any opinions?

Great topic, and one i have thought about many times myself as a relativly new gun owner.

I am torn between telling someone out of respect, and not telling as to not open a can of worms. i have done both, lol.

The first time I carried to a friend's house they were totally cool with it. In fact, my friends wife said something that made me feel good: "I trust you totally Jim, so it's no big deal".

I visited a couple that are friends with my daughter. They are both LE and I informed them. The guy joked "That's cool, I am carrying too. My Blackberry. That's all I carry off duty". (personally, I think seeing what a cop sees every day would make me carry MORE, but...)

Now, when I go to my Mother in law's I don't say anything, as I figure some things, with some people, are better not discussed.

So, as you can see, I am not consistent on this subject.

Out of respect.

Respect...how?
    You carry, right? You apparently trust your friends, or they wouldn't be your friends, so...

I am just curious. Would you ask them to disarm upon entering? As others have said, this isn't meant as flak, just curious as to your reasoning.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Out of respect.

Please explain how telling you they are carrying is a show of respect. That makes no sense to me.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't allow anyone into my home that I wouldn't trust being armed. If I didn't think I could trust them being armed, I wouldn't want them around me.

Top Bottom