Guess who walked into Don's Guns today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Don's sells guns? I thought it was just a range that stays open late...

As much as their reputation sucks, and their gun prices ridiculous, they have always treated me well with their range. The one time I saw unsafe activity on the range, I complained and the guilty parties were promptly removed. Is Don a shyster SOB? Yes probably, but some of the people that work there are descent. If there were other options, I would probably use them, but there currently are not. When I do go there, I treat it as an indoor range and nothing more.
    ^^THIS^^
    Last time I checked, he wasn't pointing his KelTec at people and ordering them to buy his guns at inflated prices.

The man knows his clientel. His business model targets the first-time gun buyer who knows little or nothing about guns. Just like the used car dealers that pop up around military bases, he has no intention of follow-up business, customer loyalty or developing a solid reputation within the community. Guess what...his business model works.

I have no problem dropping $20 there for a Friday night shootout with my wife. It's cheaper than taking her to a movie. I also have no problem with folks who would rather not patronize the place. Just don't tell me where to go and I'll give you the same respect.

If you feel soooo strongly about how the man is doing business, there's PLENTY of commercial property available right across the street. Put your money where your mouth is and take on Don at his own game in his own backyard. If you have a heated, indoor range that's open late, 7 days a week, you'll get my $20 from time to time.

(and whomever complained that his place was filthy...it's cleaner than Bradis! (and I buy all my guns from Bradis))

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON

If you feel soooo strongly about how the man is doing business, there's PLENTY of commercial property available right across the street. Put your money where your mouth is and take on Don at his own game in his own backyard...

Myself (or anyone's else) feeling strongly about a douche bag gun dealer that does MUCH, MUCH, more harm to gun owner's rights than the good of providing you with a late-night shooting range doesn't require me to become his business competitor. If a brain surgeon does a bad job and my loved one dies, it is not necessary for me to become a brain surgeon to complain. Rationalizing Don's abhorrent behavior and supporting it with your money is simply wrong, no matter how you try to paint it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Myself (or anyone's else) feeling strongly about a douche bag gun dealer that does MUCH, MUCH, more harm to gun owner's rights than the good of providing you with a late-night shooting range doesn't require me to become his business competitor. If a brain surgeon does a bad job and my loved one dies, it is not necessary for me to become a brain surgeon to complain. Rationalizing Don's abhorrent behavior and supporting it with your money is simply wrong, no matter how you try to paint it.

iagree.gif
    Absolutely, supporting a place like Don's in anyway is negative action towards both law abiding citizens and the stability of the 2A.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Don's Guns

Believe me if Don of Don's guns was doing anything illegal he would already be shut down. If anybody remembers the (break in at his greenwood store). That was Law Enforcement gaining unlawful enrty to his safe. They thought that something in the safe would send Don to the Big House. Well Don didn't go anywhere except to the bank when he won a lawsuit. It is getting harder defending Don but i will try. If you don't like the place just drive on by.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Believe me if Don of Don's guns was doing anything illegal he would already be shut down. If anybody remembers the (break in at his greenwood store). That was Law Enforcement gaining unlawful enrty to his safe. They thought that something in the safe would send Don to the Big House. Well Don didn't go anywhere except to the bank when he won a lawsuit. It is getting harder defending Don but i will try. If you don't like the place just drive on by.

We know this. The majority of common complaints regarding his establishment are in regards to suspect straw sales - a gray area. Most of the shops I frequent are willing to sniff these out and risk losing the few dollars of profit they make on the sale. Don's will happily sell a 21 year old woman with a baby on her hip three matching Glocks while her boyfriend and his compadres wait out in the parking lot.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    We know this. The majority of common complaints regarding his establishment are in regards to suspect straw sales - a gray area. Most of the shops I frequent are willing to sniff these out and risk losing the few dollars of profit they make on the sale. Don's will happily sell a 20 year old woman with a baby on her hip three matching Glocks while her boyfriend and his compadres wait out in the parking lot.

She can't legally buy handguns as she needs to be 21 to legally do that. So if Don is truly selling handguns to 20 y/o's, he can get in trouble for that.

Now I know what you're getting at, it is well believed that his staff does nothing to try to stop straw purchases. I have no clue as I don't go in there. Haven't visited a Dons since he was just off 96th st on the North side.

kennys_67

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Owen County, Indiana
    As a person I like Don, (an old gorilla for some people) drives his lil vette in greenwood all the time. He just sells to anyone and has the highest prices in the midwest, but if you have dumba** people pay those prices, that should be on the purchaser. If I have a rifle worth $200 and I ask $1200 and someone pays that price, Thats just a time when two idiots meet. Personaly I would not buy anything from his store. There are quite a few dealers out there that barley make ends meet and I rather see them get my money. Pops guns are $19 a half hour and get a buddy in there for an extra $5. They are more plesent to deal with also.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    ^^THIS^^
    Last time I checked, he wasn't pointing his KelTec at people and ordering them to buy his guns at inflated prices.

The man knows his clientel. His business model targets the first-time gun buyer who knows little or nothing about guns. Just like the used car dealers that pop up around military bases, he has no intention of follow-up business, customer loyalty or developing a solid reputation within the community. Guess what...his business model works.

I have no problem dropping $20 there for a Friday night shootout with my wife. It's cheaper than taking her to a movie. I also have no problem with folks who would rather not patronize the place. Just don't tell me where to go and I'll give you the same respect.

If you feel soooo strongly about how the man is doing business, there's PLENTY of commercial property available right across the street. Put your money where your mouth is and take on Don at his own game in his own backyard. If you have a heated, indoor range that's open late, 7 days a week, you'll get my $20 from time to time.

(and whomever complained that his place was filthy...it's cleaner than Bradis! (and I buy all my guns from Bradis))
    Yes, but that's because the prices are better, and the staff is much more knowledgeable

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    People the BATF does send field agents out to area gun stores. And the purpose is to make sure all sales are legal. If Don's Guns was making illegal sales his business would be shut down.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    People the BATF does send field agents out to area gun stores. And the purpose is to make sure all sales are legal. If Don's Guns was making illegal sales his business would be shut down.

Indeed ! We all know the the ATF is "Practically perfect in every way." :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Come on people! Please! Nobody is saying that Don Davis does not run his shop to the letter of the law! He wouldn't be in business if he didn't!

The main argument is that his shop employees do not exercise their own judgment and discretion to weed out straw purchases - nothing more.

No one is saying they're selling guns out the back door to gangbangers. Every thread that gets started about Mr. Davis and his shop degrades into the same argument with the same facts and the same stories.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Took a friend to shoot at Don's Guns today-- word had it a guy could shoot for $10 there.

Surprise!! $15 per lane for half an hour & even though I would just be coaching my pal, I hadda pay $10 to be on the lane with him.

Hate surprises like that, but had to follow through with my word to get my pal some trigger time.

So we finish & are shoppin' a little & guess who the heck walks in...

Don Freakin' Davis!!! In all his glory!

Indianapolis, Don Davis LIVES!!!!

Very personable guy. Showed us his carry gun (any guesses on what he carries?) and later brought over a new Bersa 9 mil to show off.

Still can't believe that I got outta there without buyin' anything besides range-time... What a salesguy Don is!

Was glad to meet him & it was a kinda cool for my pal to get the perk on his first trip to the range.

Almost surreal to see Don walk in, though. Was sure he was livin' big in Shangri-La somewhere.

What a character! Nice guy, though.
    Sorry about your luck.

Top Bottom