GSWs (cops and .mil please don't answer)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    how many of you who are not in the business of dealing with victims of gunshot wounds have actually seen a person who has been shot? I don't mean the after effects at the hospital, but actually seen the wound pre-treatment. how did you feel? did you have a plan to deal with it? did you implement your plan? did it work?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    does an airgun wound count? there wasnt a chemical reaction meaning no "gunshot" wound, but it was a hole in a body none-the-less.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I saw one in clinicals. Was not allowed to help, only standby and observe. Already receiving some treatment, so I don't think I am who you are wanting to answer.

However, priority is still to prevent tension pneumothorax, adequate respiration, and stop bleeding as much as possible. Also pain management if available.

Why do you ask?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The first time I witnessed a gunshot wound was the only time the situation presented itself in a manner where I would have been able to provide aid.

At first, myself and everyone else present stood around waiting for a unicorn to appear and heal him with pixie dust. After a few moments I realized I should do something - but since the only thing I could think to do was apply pressure to the wound and tell him he was going to be "Ok", I was confused and rattled. I did so, but was not successful.

The silliest part is I am probably not any more prepared to handle that type of situation today.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I just pressed the jeans against it until it stopped bleeding. I was shot in the right leg with a .22, it wasnt a thru shot...more like a take out a small chunk and leave a short channel. Caught me halfway down the lower part of my leg on the back below the knee. Squirrel season. Still dont know who pulled the trigger. I was 15 or 16. Didnt go into shock and didnt even goto the hospital. It stung like %#^%#. Didnt even know i had been shot until my pants leg was being soaked by blood.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    No, and no I am not. This is one of the many things I need to get training in. I imaging that if there is much bleeding, stopping that would be my first priority, then getting them to medical treatment fast.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I can tell you I have seen someone shortly after being shot before they received treatment and I have seen Several people stabbed. Although then gun shot victims wasn't pretty...the stabbings were nasty. I didn't have to treat the gun shot victim...because he wasnt sticking around (a thug doing illegal stuff). Same for the stab wound victims except one...and I was very fortunate to have EMT to wasn't working close by that dealt with the situation.

Last edited:

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    It wasnt a gun shot wound. But my reaction to a bad head injury was to stand around like a dumbass trying to not throw up.

A Guy went joy riding on a stolen motorcycle. Ran a stop sign hitting an SUV which he went flying through and landed on the concrete curb with his head. Head was cracked open like a nut. nasty.

I always slow down at intersections now and look both ways. Doesnt matter if I my direction has a stop or not. That whole mess left a lasting impression.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Curious about the answering replies to VUPD's question.

Actually I was wondering about the question.

I was thained in first aid for trumatic wounds in 1973 in basic training. I have never been in the position to theat GSW. But have been first on scene at a serfious accident.

I am not aLEO or an EMT but I can take steps to keep someone alive until EMT's arrive.

May be vupd with the help of other LEO's and EMT's can start a truma tretment thread to try to inform and help us mere mortals (just in case).

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I was a kid, saw two women who had been shot. Both to the head, both very dead by the time I got there. One was seriously disfigured, the other, I don't even remember seeing any blood, she was just laying there, eyes opened, but dead. The shooter was a LEO, I think one of the women was his wife, or girlfriend, don't really remember what I thought, or many details, just remember them laying there.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    When young, the lady down the street was shot in the head (grazed) and then the assailant turned the gun on himself and blew a hole in his head. I did not see the shooting but did see the dead body of the shooter in the driveway where he bled out. I got a serious whooping over that one, but I was curious and young. The police showed shortly after and bagged the guys hands and covered the body. (No, I didn't walk into the driveway or disturb evidence even though I had no idea what it was at the time). When it all happened the hysterical friend who was not shot went running down the street to get help and we happened to be home. It was Summer and sweltering heat because I remember the IPD officer had a vest on and we was sweating pretty fierce since I grew up with no central A/C.

So, yes I've seen results pretty close but not seen the shooting.

Top Bottom