GSWs (cops and .mil please don't answer)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    does veterinary field count as in "the business of dealing with GSW"? i see gunshot wounds sometimes weekly (dogs mostly , but cats as well) , some fresh, some not so fresh .......... hate to say it but my staff knows how to immediately deal with them its become commonplace ........ that being said i know animal vs. human is different , but i feel moderately prepared if need be for a human

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    does veterinary field count as in "the business of dealing with GSW"? i see gunshot wounds sometimes weekly (dogs mostly , but cats as well) , some fresh, some not so fresh .......... hate to say it but my staff knows how to immediately deal with them its become commonplace ........ that being said i know animal vs. human is different , but i feel moderately prepared if need be for a human

Lots of overlap....after all we use animal tissue in training.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    I just want people (non EMS people) to know that they CAN use a tourniquet without fear of causing the loss of a limb and without fear of legal reprisals.

Oh I completely know that. Just up here(Adams Co and the surrounding Counties, well last I knew the surrounding counties) the TQ is a last resort..... that needs to be updated to the national standard.

A TQ is the most logical thing instead of doing a damn arterial pressure point.....

The logical choice isn't always the legal way for everyone.

gvonpaul

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    pressure to the nearest joint? could you elaborate on that?
    If you're talking about pressure points, it means go above the next proximal (closer to core of your body) joint and apply pressure to the artery there. For example, if you are bleeding from the wrist, go above the elbow and apply pressure to the brachial artery there. It requires having a rough idea of where the artery is located.
    We are taught that you can use a blood pressure cuff (inflated) to apply pressure there.
    Fun fact: I once controlled heavy bleeding from inside a guy's penis (I can say penis right?) by using an inflated pediatric BP cuff. Worked like a charm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seen more than a few and dealt with 2. Pressure to the wound to control bleeding until properly equipped and trained support on sight. Been a good while and if I never see this again I am OK with that.

Top Bottom