Grocery stores are moving to digital price tags, good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grocery stores are moving to digital price tags: are they harming consumers?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm sure this is just another innovation brought along to benefit the consumer.

Do we have any members here old enough to remember when companies were proud to announce changes which would benefit the consumer? I think that died out along around the time Little House on the Prairie stopped making new episodes.

Reactions: Leo

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I'm fine with it.

There are two grocery stores in Crawfordsville, Walmart and Kroger are across the street from each other and compete hard on pricing. Aldi plans to build a store just down the street from Kroger's. These are low-margin businesses and surge pricing isn't going to change the market dynamics for these companies.

And if toilet paper goes up to $10 a roll during the next pandemic, fine, at least the shelves won't be bare.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Being retired lower weekday prices would be good for me because I try to do most of my shopping then to avoid crowds. Now Menard's is about 35 miles away and I shop there a lot for home projects. There is a local hardware store a mile away and small lumberyard about 12 miles. If I am gathering materials for a project I will head for Menard's but if I just need a couple pieces of lumber or hardware to finish something I go local. I pay more but don't have to take more time and gas money to get the cheaper price. Jim.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Who wants to work weekends in a grocery? It costs more to staff for weekends, why shouldn’t weekend shoppers pay more for the privilege of shopping weekends?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    what about Stock in hand ?

Store has 100 boxes of ammo bought in 2023 which are priced at $20/bx

Should they be able to UP the price because someone buys 5 boxes and it now becomes Surge pricing?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    "Should they be able to..."

Yes. The answer is yes. Information and choice are in the consumer's toolbox.
    I was under the impression there were two business models ...

1: Charge your Profit on what it cost you to Purchase Stock

2: Charge your Profit on what it WILL Cost you to Replace Stock

or is that just on "Price Controlled" items ( Gas ? )

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This will be the new norm. https://prospect.org/justice/2024-01-19-dollar-general-overcharges-customers-lawsuit/

"Oh, your receipt doesn't match the price on the shelf? We're sorry but a goat was sacrificed in Vietnam last Thursday so the price of your bamboo shoots tripled six minutes ago."

It'll create just enough nonsense for the government to eventually step in and take control of the situation, "for everyone's benefit".

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    what about Stock in hand ?

Store has 100 boxes of ammo bought in 2023 which are priced at $20/bx

Should they be able to UP the price because someone buys 5 boxes and it now becomes Surge pricing?
    Economists have repeatedly found that what folks call gouging is in reality a conservation mechanism that results in more even distribution of scarce resources.

After a hurricane generators quadruple in price, yep it sucks to pay $2000 for a $500 generator but it keeps a guy with $2000 from buying four of them, another guy from buying 100 cases of water at ten times the price.

I remember a hurricane in the south there were no generators available so a couple of guys rented a truck in KY, went around and bought every generator they could in southern Indiana and KY, took them to where they were desperately needed only to be arrested for gouging. Think anyone will ever do that again? Nope.

Anti-gouging laws are to stifle competition with the government…

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I was under the impression there were two business models ...

1: Charge your Profit on what it cost you to Purchase Stock

2: Charge your Profit on what it WILL Cost you to Replace Stock

or is that just on "Price Controlled" items ( Gas ? )
    That is very simplified. Supply/demand play a big role, as does the cost of keeping inventory on hand.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    An item should cost the same no matter what day of the week it is ........A lot of people`s schedules aren`t flexible .
    I think it opens up the door for gouging when convenient and profitable for the store .

I miss the days when this is how you changed the price of things ............
    Used one at our local IGA back in the "daze" ............
    View attachment 374457
    Yep, worked with those in my youth at first store job. Then it was barcodes. Now, who knows what they use? App on your cellphone and snap a pic or scan. Hope they refund 10% doing all their work for them. Grab a coffee, sit in break room, chat among the employees on breaks. Hell, you should be offered stock options too in company!

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Yes sir! I also can negotiate around a doc fee on a car purchase too.
    I never negotiate anything on a vehicle. Never enter a dealership until the deal is made either.
    I sit in my comfy chair, with a beverage of choice, and do my shopping.
    I present my OTD price that I'm willing to pay and either they accept or decline. There are other dealers.

Top Bottom