• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Our 10-year-old el cheapo outdoor grill has finally given up the ghost. Rather than buy new burners for it and try to squeeze another season out of it, we went ahead and got a new one.

I read a couple of things that say to brush the grates down with vegetable oil, then close the lid and burn it on high for 15 minutes. Some folks think you should do this a few times before cooking on it, and I've done so. Anyone know of any other prep steps to take before slappin' down the steak?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    unless your grates are cast iron then it's just a waste of oil and gas/charcoal. everything else is either stainless steel or porcelain coated so no need to "season" it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Depends on the fat content of the items being cooked.
    I have "greased" the grill before but I found I get better results if I just make the food non stick.
    Burgers nothing.
    Chicken breast I will brush a little olive oil on the chicken
    before I put it on the grill, makes the breast brown nicely too.
    Brats - nada
    Pork chops - nada
    Steaks - light olive oil or if I marinade then nada.

Also, if you did not trash the old one remove the burners and use it as a charcoal grill.

You can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    unless your grates are cast iron then it's just a waste of oil and gas/charcoal. everything else is either stainless steel or porcelain coated so no need to "season" it.
    They're cast iron. Supposedly porcelain-coated, but I'll be darned if I can find any evidence of that. Looks more like my cast-iron frying pan than my porcelain coated roaster, let's put it that way.
    Also, f you did not trash the old one remove the burners and use is as a charcoal grill.

You can have the best of both worlds.

Been thinking about that, but it'll probably be put on craigslist for free without tank. Charcoal smacks of effort. :D

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    They're cast iron. Supposedly porcelain-coated, but I'll be darned if I can find any evidence of that. Looks more like my cast-iron frying pan than my porcelain coated roaster, let's put it that way.

:D

then yes oil them beotches up and crank the dial. you want it at least at 500 degrees for anywhere between 30-60 minutes, then you should be good, but I would do a second round personally.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Turn the grill on, cut an onion in half and run it back and forth for awhile. If the onion gets cooked, use the other half and do the same. Back and forth, back and forth. Will season it nicely for next use.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Turn the grill on, cut an onion in half and run it back and forth for awhile. If the onion gets cooked, use the other half and do the same. Back and forth, back and forth. Will season it nicely for next use.

more info please? it just doesn't make sense to me.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Coat grates with veg oil, heat till it just starts smoking, then continue to brush oil on, untill it quits drying out and maintains the wet sheen, then close the lid and keep the heat on till the smoking stops.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Our 10-year-old el cheapo outdoor grill has finally given up the ghost. Rather than buy new burners for it and try to squeeze another season out of it, we went ahead and got a new one.

I read a couple of things that say to brush the grates down with vegetable oil, then close the lid and burn it on high for 15 minutes. Some folks think you should do this a few times before cooking on it, and I've done so. Anyone know of any other prep steps to take before slappin' down the steak?

Olive oil and Pepper.

Top Bottom