chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Welcome back home!

You may find Indiana gun rights to be better than you're expecting. The licensing process is easier than in Louisiana (no training requirements), and when you pay $125 here, your license is good for life - unlike Louisiana, which is only good for 5 years. Also, "no firearms" signs do not carry the force of law here. And unlike Louisiana, Indiana is not a "must inform" state.

About the only downside is that you'll lose a few states' worth of reciprocity - but Indiana has no control over that. Unlike Louisiana, Indiana honors licenses issued by every state.

burnettjm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2015
    Greenwood
    Welcome back home!

You may find Indiana gun rights to be better than you're expecting. The licensing process is easier than in Louisiana (no training requirements), and when you pay $125 here, your license is good for life - unlike Louisiana, which is only good for 5 years. Also, "no firearms" signs do not carry the force of law here. And unlike Louisiana, Indiana is not a "must inform" state.

About the only downside is that you'll lose a few states' worth of reciprocity - but Indiana has no control over that. Unlike Louisiana, Indiana honors licenses issued by every state.

I had an Indiana permit years ago, but when my residency changed, I had to relinquish it. I do like the fact that Indiana is cheaper (though, I believe that one shouldn't have to pay to exercise a right). However, Louisiana just implemented a lifetime permit as well...to the tune of $500 ($250 for vets). I also like the fact that Indiana isn't a "must inform" state, however, out of respect and mutual safety, I would more than likely inform the officer that I am carrying anyways. As for the signs carrying the force of law, that isn't what you are typically charged with. Any business owner has the right to ask someone to leave or they may face trespassing/staying after forbidden charges. I also don't like the fact that I have to have a permit to carry a handgun period. Louisiana is an open carry state and does't require a permit to carry openly. Ideally, we wouldn't need to pay for that right at all (Constitutional Carry), but that isn't the reality that we live in. lol

I am in a bit of a pickle now because when I move to Indiana I will eventually get an Indiana ID. This will mean that my Louisiana carry permit is no longer valid and there will be a period in-between where I will not be legally allowed to carry the same firearm that I have been carrying for the past 11 years. I am trying to find a workaround, but so far it looks like I will not be able to exercise my rights for several weeks.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Louisiana is an open carry state and does't require a permit to carry openly.

True, but Indiana does not have the swarm of gun laws that Louisiana does. I.e., under Indiana's preemption statute no grandfathering is permitted.

Southerners always think that all of the North is Illinois or New Jersey. You are in for a pleasant surprise.:D

This will mean that my Louisiana carry permit is no longer valid and there will be a period in-between where I will not be legally allowed to carry the same firearm that I have been carrying for the past 11 years.

Perhaps, all the more reason to apply for your Larry as soon as you can. The wait times are down now, likely until November of 2016.

One could carry a blackpowder or pre-1899 pistol before you get your Larry (just print out the statute so you don't have problems).:D

I'll give you guys a bit more information about what I have in mind and what I would like to get organized.

I like the cut of your jib. Check us out at Indiana State Rifle & Pistol Association: ISRPA

We are on Facebook too.

burnettjm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2015
    Greenwood
    You can also have your roscoe in a place of worship or a place that serves alcohol.

Exactly, we only recently got that changed down here. You can now carry in church with an additional 8 hours of tactical training and in restaurants that serve alcohol. Although, proper bars are still a no-go.

There is still some gray area on OC in Church that we are trying to get straightened out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom