• ...and so much more!
  • furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    Quote:
    Sec. 6-331 Use of Firearms/Shooting of Birds.
    (a) No person, except a peace officer, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun
    within the City, or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control
    unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container

i think the other suitable container would apply to a holster. the code says it has to be broken down OR enclosed in a carrying case or other suitable container. i think some one is reading too fast

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    A cop doing what he/she gets paid to do is a D bag huh? And speeding in a "residential neighborhood" is alright with you? A Greenwood cop has been in my neighborhood pulling over people who run a certain stop sign. I must say that I do appreciate it.

AJB

if it TRUELY poses a safety risk then fine. but when its simply used as a revenue generator then its crap! your probly one of the ones who call them and complain and then make them come out. Im sure your neighbors appreciate the screw.

if it was truely about enforcing the law they would put up a bright orange sign that said cops enforcing speed limit ahead, and then the ones who didnt slow down after that get a ticket. to me that is fair and good police work. i think they should be legaly required to do it rather than hiding like common criminals and jumping out at you. and for the record.... NO, i did not get a ticket. I obey the speed limits 90% of the time, because you usualy get to where your going at the same time anyways.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    if it TRUELY poses a safety risk then fine. but when its simply used as a revenue generator then its crap! your probly one of the ones who call them and complain and then make them come out. Im sure your neighbors appreciate the screw.

if it was truely about enforcing the law they would put up a bright orange sign that said cops enforcing speed limit ahead, and then the ones who didnt slow down after that get a ticket. to me that is fair and good police work. i think they should be legaly required to do it rather than hiding like common criminals and jumping out at you. and for the record.... NO, i did not get a ticket. I obey the speed limits 90% of the time, because you usualy get to where your going at the same time anyways.

There's already a sign. It's not bright orange but more of a dark red which says STOP in white letters. The other sign is kind of a white on black, which is supposed to be high contrast and easy to see. Says "Speed Limit" followed by a number.

I'd like to think that a law-abiding man like yourself (90% of the time of course) and others who follow the law (the signs) wouldn't have much trouble from the boys in blue.

I don't screw the neighbors pal. We just watch each others backs and look out for the kids.

AJB

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We are just outside of Greenwood and there's a ballot initiative to redefine the City of Greenwood this fall to include our area. The whole firearms thing has me against it as does the idea of being policed by Greenwood's finest. Right now, we come under the Johnson County Sheriff and I'd be glad to stay that way. Every interaction I've had with the sheriff department has been a good one. I don't hear too much good coming from the Greenwood PD.

They do like to shake down the travellers on County Line Road quite a bit. I'm all for ticketing those that present a safety hazard, but County Line is the same speed limit now that it has 4 travel lanes, a center turn lane and wide shoulders as it did when it was a skinny two lane road with trees less than 3 feet from the pavement. I'm sure there are good folks on the force in Greenwood, but the tone of the department seems to be pretty chickensh_t.

Regarding the legallity of carrying in Greenwood: I think it's a pretty poorly written law. If held to the letter, my kids would be acting criminally by playing with airsoft guns in the backyard over there (I'm less than 50 yards from the Greenwood line). Unfortunately, it's written very vague and could be used to hold a person if that person ticked a GW PD cop off for some reason.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    We are just outside of Greenwood and there's a ballot initiative to redefine the City of Greenwood this fall to include our area. The whole firearms thing has me against it as does the idea of being policed by Greenwood's finest. Right now, we come under the Johnson County Sheriff and I'd be glad to stay that way. Every interaction I've had with the sheriff department has been a good one. I don't hear too much good coming from the Greenwood PD.

They do like to shake down the travellers on County Line Road quite a bit. I'm all for ticketing those that present a safety hazard, but County Line is the same speed limit now that it has 4 travel lanes, a center turn lane and wide shoulders as it did when it was a skinny two lane road with trees less than 3 feet from the pavement. I'm sure there are good folks on the force in Greenwood, but the tone of the department seems to be pretty chickensh_t.

Regarding the legallity of carrying in Greenwood: I think it's a pretty poorly written law. If held to the letter, my kids would be acting criminally by playing with airsoft guns in the backyard over there (I'm less than 50 yards from the Greenwood line). Unfortunately, it's written very vague and could be used to hold a person if that person ticked a GW PD cop off for some reason.
    i know someone on green wood pd and they say it has gone to hell in the past few years....

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    There's already a sign. It's not bright orange but more of a dark red which says STOP in white letters. The other sign is kind of a white on black, which is supposed to be high contrast and easy to see. Says "Speed Limit" followed by a number.

I'd like to think that a law-abiding man like yourself (90% of the time of course) and others who follow the law (the signs) wouldn't have much trouble from the boys in blue.

I don't screw the neighbors pal. We just watch each others backs and look out for the kids.

AJB

i do follow the law to the best of my abilities. i never had "trouble from the boys in blue", i have NO RECORD at all!!! nor have i been arrested or even had a traffic ticket in well over 5 years (or been stopped, for all those "you just got a warning" people). my trouble or lack there of is not the point of my arguement. thats good you look out for your neighbors and the kids. i do the same in my neighborhood. most of my neighbors are older and im younger and help them out a lot. Its good to help people, but the people getting ripped off by outrageous fines for not stopping or speeding are your neigbors too. if tickets were about enforcing the law then they would be a point on your license and $0. taxes cover the admin and officers pay. if you get too many points then you dont drive! for me I obey the law because its the right thing to do. sometimes i would love to blow down the interstate at 110 MPH to arrive early somewhere, but i dont, because i have common sense to stay alive more than anything. also i wouldnt want to hurt or kill an innocent person.

all im saying is that the enforcement is abused and its a money maker because the citys cant manage their budget so they send out the police to collect MORE money from the poor, like in robin hood.
    i know people who have gotten tickets for 1 MPH over the speed limit, and 1 MPH under it. its impossible to stay right on the number even if you use cruise control. tell me thats fair and just enforcement of the law. is that extra 5MPH gonna save a kid from being killed if the vehicle is already going lets say 25 MPH? NO

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

+1. Johnson County Sheriff is a very good LE agency. I hope you can avoid the hands of the Greenwood money grubbers and dumb laws.

if there is unjust carry laws in greenwood, i hope the residents will work to turn them over.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010

Don't pay any attention to his posts, AJB. Somehow, the paranoid-delusional always seem to manifest itself, anytime a poster advocates for the most basic and sensible of public safety enforcement.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    EVERYBODY TAKE A CHILL

The "law" everyone is pissed about is nothing more than a city ordinance. The city ordinance book is about the size of a phone book and most of them are horribly out of date. They are put in by past city councils and most are forgotten about. Please give us a (police) a little credit, most of us are smart enough to realize screwed up ordinances. No one here on this department is anti gun or anti citizen carry. Several of my buds here are staunch gun owners. I guarantee no one has ever been hassled based on this ordinance, we follow state law.

And for those critical (E5Ranger) of us running traffic....I ask you, how many traffic accidents have you worked that were cause by "little unimportant traffic laws" being broken? How many death notification have you had to make to families that there loved ones were killed in traffic accidents? Let me tell you it sucks azzz. And as far as the "generating money for the city" let me educate you , we get about $1.50 for every ticket. That is hardly worth the effort if funding is the issue.

I have said enough, peace out.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    EVERYBODY TAKE A CHILL

The "law" everyone is pissed about is nothing more than a city ordinance. The city ordinance book is about the size of a phone book and most of them are horribly out of date. They are put in by past city councils and most are forgotten about. Please give us a (police) a little credit, most of us are smart enough to realize screwed up ordinances. No one here on this department is anti gun or anti citizen carry. Several of my buds here are staunch gun owners. I guarantee no one has ever been hassled based on this ordinance, we follow state law.

And for those critical (E5Ranger) of us running traffic....I ask you, how many traffic accidents have you worked that were cause by "little unimportant traffic laws" being broken? How many death notification have you had to make to families that there loved ones were killed in traffic accidents? Let me tell you it sucks azzz. And as far as the "generating money for the city" let me educate you , we get about $1.50 for every ticket. That is hardly worth the effort if funding is the issue.

I have said enough, peace out.
    I appreciate you coming in and sharing your mind on the matter. However, as with any law on the books, this could be pulled out at any time and used against us. If you are against this law, then please go to the Greenwood council and start a repeal campaign.

I call on all Greenwood citizens to do the same. No need for a defunct old law to trip someone up.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I hear ya Protest, but I just want to reiterate that no one here enforces that ordinance. Heck I didnt even know of it. It is kinda of like those "blue laws" like sodomy being illegal, even if it is on the books it is not enforced. This is just a none issue really, somebody had to really dig deep and blow the dust off the page to read that ordinance LOL

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    somebody had to really dig deep and blow the dust off the page to read that ordinance LOL

Not sure that it is really obscure, but it is ill thought out and written. It is part of the laws that Greenwood residents should be educated on. Just another example of the maze that the law abiding have to try and navigate. Reading this info (especially if you live in Greenwood) is just due diligence for a gun owner.

Here is a link to the equivalent code for Indianapolis/Marion County: Municode - Search The key point is very clear and includes both self-defense and practice, though apparently not a Don's Guns :nono::

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.

(a) Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I hear ya Protest, but I just want to reiterate that no one here enforces that ordinance. Heck I didnt even know of it. It is kinda of like those "blue laws" like sodomy being illegal, even if it is on the books it is not enforced. This is just a none issue really, somebody had to really dig deep and blow the dust off the page to read that ordinance LOL

and some police dont know its legal for us to open carry. whats the gubments favorit term when boning us in the ass??? ingnorance of the law is no excuse. << yeah I think thats it.

like protest said, all it takes is someone to use it as a tool and screw us (doesnt have to be a cop, it could just be a dick prosecuter reading your incident report, and happens to notice the citizen was carrying and they wanna get re-elected as a libtard or make the news, or seek higher office). just saying, stranger things HAVE happened.

also GPD177, i have close LEO friends who have had plenty of experience with death at accidents and death notifications. so i see where your coming from and i sympathize. your department might only get $1.50 of that ticket, that wasnt my point. the city and state gets the rest, they are the ones wanting it as a revenue generator. sorry i didnt make my point clearer.
    Also i understand that your hands as an officer are sometimes tied by the crooked politicians and supervisors that send you to accomplish their personal flawed agendas, and you have no choice sometimes. i dont fault you. i do think some of your "brothers in blue" enjoy harrassing citizens whenever possible, but it sounds like you do not. and for that, i commend you. stay safe.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Thank You E5Ranger, I appreciate that. I hope I didnt sound too harsh in my earlier post. Most of the guys I work with do try to do things the right way. And, please believe me on this, I for one am very concerned for our rights and do not want to go down the road that some of these libtard statist might want. We have vigilant people from the citizen side and trust me on this there are a lot of people with your "views" on this side of the blue line, if you follow my drift.:patriot:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Thank You E5Ranger, I appreciate that. I hope I didnt sound too harsh in my earlier post. Most of the guys I work with do try to do things the right way. And, please believe me on this, I for one am very concerned for our rights and do not want to go down the road that some of these libtard statist might want. We have vigilant people from the citizen side and trust me on this there are a lot of people with your "views" on this side of the blue line, if you follow my drift.:patriot:
    10-4

also you didnt seem harsh at all. i made a blanket statement that i shouldnt have, and you simply corrected me. I appreciate honesty more than anything. I hate when people tell other people what they think they wanna hear. you Sir earned my respect by setting me straight!

We citizens appreciate your hard work to protect our constitution and us. Especialy because I've heard some of the things you officers have to deal with, even in your inner circle, and i think the preasure from the inside would just be misserable sometimes. Keep up the good fight Sir!! I SALUTE YOU :patriot:

all out of rep but i will get it to you eventualy i promise.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I appreciate you coming in and sharing your mind on the matter. However, as with any law on the books, this could be pulled out at any time and used against us. If you are against this law, then please go to the Greenwood council and start a repeal campaign.

I call on all Greenwood citizens to do the same. No need for a defunct old law to trip someone up.

Many such ordinances have been otherwise preempted by state law, despite not being removed by the city.

Top Bottom