• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Usually I'm with you, but I haven't seen anyone saying that the four rules don't apply or are old and antiquated or anything of the sorts. I would say all, or maybe I just have a bad memory, INGO posts that I have seen lately are right there with you that the rules are important and we should all follow them.

We have INGO members saying that pointing guns at people is perfectly safe.

We have INGO members wanting to re-write the Four Rules because they do not follow them.

We have INGO members saying that it doesn't matter where you point a gun in a bathroom stall, afterall the bullet certainly wouldn't ever penetrate a stall wall.

Gun owner, heal thyself! These people betray themselves as having no experience with firearms, they must be taught and taught correctly.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    We have INGO members saying that pointing guns at people is perfectly safe.

We have INGO members wanting to re-write the Four Rules because they do not follow them.

We have INGO members saying that it doesn't matter where you point a gun in a bathroom stall, afterall the bullet certainly wouldn't ever penetrate a stall wall.

Gun owner, heal thyself! These people betray themselves as having no experience with firearms, they must be taught and taught correctly.

AS I said, I have not seen these posts. Maybe it's my slowed presence on here, but I must miss them. I will say though, for the most part it seems that we have a pretty good group who understand the inherent dangers and seek to mitigate them to the best of their abilities.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    AS I said, I have not seen these posts. Maybe it's my slowed presence on here, but I must miss them. I will say though, for the most part it seems that we have a pretty good group who understand the inherent dangers and seek to mitigate them to the best of their abilities.

That is because nobody has made any of those types of alleged posts. Closet thing we have on these boards is an argument over Cooper's rule #1. Same discussion that has been hashed out a hundred times before in Internet forums. So a Google search and you find these discussions.

The gentleman in Greensburg obviously did not follow "the four rules" or "NRA 3 rules" or Canadian gun safety rules or ............. Obviously he pointed a loaded gun in an unsafe direction and pressed the trigger. Simple as that really. Nothing accidental about it, pure negligence. His negligence and ignorance resulted in another person being injured.

Last edited:

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I am relived that so far no one has come out with the "it could happen to anyone" BS.

It happens to people doing something wrong, period.

The guy should be charged with something.

I am sure someone is calling "1-800 sue my neighbor" about now, or at least they should be.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    What an idiot! Just like the idiot who was taking the selfie with a pistol and blew his brains out. I just don't understand how some gun owners can be so absolutely stupid. I guess you just can't cure stupid.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Hey, I always clean my firearms by pulling the trigger first to discharge it. It cleans out all of the large particles out of the barrel. It makes for easier cleaning. Then, I look down the barrel and make sure that it did it's job. (Yeah, yeah, I shouldn't have to say "purple implied.")

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That is because nobody has made any of those types of alleged posts.

Sushi dinner on that?

You take common sense and safety. I'll take recklessness and Beard Logic. I like eel, collar tuna and temaki.

AS I said, I have not seen these posts.

It's not many, but just start a Four Rules thread. They will be there like a moth to a flame, arguing that they can point guns at people and that all guns are not loaded.

Sushi dinner?:D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That is because nobody has made any of those types of alleged posts...

Ahem...

You guys do realize firearms cannot fire without ammunition in them, right?

It's perfectly safe to do whatever the hell you want with a gun once you've unloaded it and verified it's clear. In every single case of ND (or AD) there's ammunition present. Simply removing the ammo will stop every single ND. In cases of ND (or AD) someone failed to verify the ammunition was removed.

I'll take it a step further. If your finger is off the trigger the gun won't function either. (Ammo present or not.) Waving around a loaded firearm with your finger off the trigger is no more dangerous than waving a wizard's wand.

The common denominator in what makes those situations "dangerous" is when a person fails to exercise the proper safety procedure. Since humans invariably forget to do things or do things wrong sometimes there's really no situation that "always" keeps us safe. Like all other things in life it's up to individuals to take responsibility for their own actions. Calling people morons for forgetting to do something or having a momentary lapse in judgement is way more detrimental to the cause of safety than demanding we apply unconditional rules to all gun owners.

What kind of world would we live in if we couldn't coonfinger our guns around our buddies? That would suck!

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

If memory serves Mohawks quote was from one of those out of control threads where somebody was arguing about the wording of rules. Pretty sure there was more to that discussion. I have never met the guy but I didn't get the impression he runs around pointing guns at everything. But yes Burl you would be correct that particular quoted rant supports your position.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Now, do the one where he said it was safe to point guns at people...

... I have never met the guy but I didn't get the impression he runs around pointing guns at everything...

It's right here for all to read, including the gun store the gent works in and the organization where he instructs novice rifle shooters:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iscussion/400602-do-4-rules-always-apply.html

... I think fanning people with unloaded guns is OK.

Guns don't work without ammunition. If you have some type of scenario set up where you and your buddies want to play force on force and you've cleared all your guns, more power to you. You're adults. Do whatever you want. It's not for me or anyone else on the internet to decide. Nor is it something that's any more unsafe than pointing bratwurst at each other.

...The 4 Rules do not always apply and there are situations and scenarios where it's OK to break them.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If memory serves Mohawks quote was from one of those out of control threads where somebody was arguing about the wording of rules. Pretty sure there was more to that discussion. I have never met the guy but I didn't get the impression he runs around pointing guns at everything. But yes Burl you would be correct that particular quoted rant supports your position.

I have... And he doesn't.

Top Bottom