• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Its paywalled so I can't see it. Does it name a company as an example?
    We may be looking at the end of capitalism.” Those words, from the pen of the loquacious Albert Edwards of Societe Generale, shocked the Wall Street analyst set last April and set Alberts on his way to becoming a financial press favorite for his witty turns of apocalyptic phrase. He was commenting on the phenomenon of “greedflation,” an economic bugbear previously beloved of progressive economists, not quite venerable 160-year-old French investment banks.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    We may be looking at the end of capitalism.” Those words, from the pen of the loquacious Albert Edwards of Societe Generale, shocked the Wall Street analyst set last April and set Alberts on his way to becoming a financial press favorite for his witty turns of apocalyptic phrase. He was commenting on the phenomenon of “greedflation,” an economic bugbear previously beloved of progressive economists, not quite venerable 160-year-old French investment banks.

Back to classic

2024 ELECTION
    The Yahoo Finance guide to the US presidential race

Fortune

‘Greedflation’ caused more than half of last year’s inflation surge, study finds, as corporate profits remain at all-time highs​

8287b22ae439471bab9334713b0351b8

Fortune· Getty Images
    Irina Ivanova
    Sat, Jan 20, 20245 min read

But after falling from its blistering pace in 2022, consumer inflation has gotten stubbornly stuck in the 3% range—rising unexpectedly for the last two months even as wholesalers’ prices stay flat or fall. That is greedflation’s music, offering a clear bit of evidence that excessive profit-taking is happening above the raw cost of goods. And yet another progressive economic study, this time from the Groundwork Collaborative, sheds light on the problem, arguing that more than half of the consumer price price increases in the middle of last year were due to excessive profits, according to the findings. Corporate profits, by the way, remain at all-time highs.

View this interactive chart on Fortune.com
    Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation during the second and third quarters of 2023 and more than one-third since the start of the pandemic, the report found, analyzing Commerce Department data. That’s a massive jump from the four decades prior to the pandemic, when profits drove just 11% of price growth.
    “Businesses were really, really quick, when input costs went up, to pass that on to consumers. [But] had they only passed on those increases, inflation would have been maybe one to three points lower,” Liz Pancotti, a strategic advisor at Groundwork and one of the report’s authors, told Fortune.

Less business, more money

In fact, corporate profits have been so good, companies may have backed themselves into a corner, Bloomberg Opinion columnist (and former Fortune editor) Justin Fox opined this week, citing Home Depot’s earnings, which saw an increase in dollar sales per square foot (thanks to rising materials prices) but also fewer transactions. Corporate profits have hit a new record in the most recent quarter, while the portion of national output going to workers is still below pre-pandemic levels, despite solid real wage growth.
    That high-profit, lower-volume dynamic is even hurting workers—who are being scheduled for fewer shifts to service fewer shoppers, who are themselves put off by ever-increasing prices, Bloomberg Opinion writer Conor Sen wrote. In the short term, that trend may manifest itself in some positive changes, like a four-day workweek. But in the longer term, companies will refuse to give up their fat profit margins without a fight, and will try to cut wherever possible. The tech industry, while a small part of the overall economy, is prime evidence of this dynamic, with Google, Amazon and plenty of smaller companies this month announcing plans to shed the less-profitable parts of their workforce as they pivot to the hopefully-more-profitable AI sector.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    McDonald's is an interesting example. If you look at their profits, they definitely started climbing quickly after Covid all the way up to almost 15B in 2024.

Trailing 12 month Profit
    1724679330366.png

It is interesting because while their revenues also climbed, it was still 2B shy of their highest revenue year of 28B in 2014 where gross profit was only 11B.

Trailing 12 month Revenues:
    1724679584861.png

So somehow they managed to eek out an additional 4B of profit with 2B less in revenue. Their margins have also steadily climbed over the years up to a whopping 33% which is freaking crazy high for a fast food restaurant.

For me personally, I just don't really go to fast food places anymore. Mainly because the **** is just so bad for you but secondly because it really has become pretty expensive. Maybe I will look into food producers and grocery chains today but I didn't think their margins were that high. Of course, this is all surface level data so who knows what is really going on underneath.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And here I thought that was called economics. Supply and demand determine the price.

McDonald's is an interesting example. If you look at their profits, they definitely started climbing quickly after Covid all the way up to almost 15B in 2024.

Trailing 12 month Profit
    View attachment 375718

It is interesting because while their revenues also climbed, it was still 2B shy of their highest revenue year of 28B in 2014 where gross profit was only 11B.

View attachment 375721

So somehow they managed to eek out an additional 4B of profit with 2B less in revenue. Their margins have also steadily climbed over the years up to a whopping 33% which is freaking crazy high for a fast food restaurant.

For me personally, I just don't really go to fast food places anymore. Mainly because the **** is just so bad for you but secondly because it really has become pretty expensive. Maybe I will look into food producers and grocery chains today but I didn't think their margins were that high. Of course, this is all surface level data so who knows what is really going on underneath.
    That makes them "greedy"?

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    And here I thought that was called economics. Supply and demand determine the price.

That makes them "greedy"?

I think you may be misconstruing my intentions. The dems keep touting greedflation but never give specific examples or even define what 'greedy' is. I am just trying to look into the data. I am by no means advocating price controls.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Trailing 12 month Profit
    View attachment 375718

View attachment 375721

Closed dining rooms due to covid and labor shortages greatly helped profits of the individual franchisees.

Covid bucks helped the lazy consumer spend much more at McDs and let's be honest, most don't like to cook.

Keep in mind, McD makes their money off Real Estate and royalties, NOT the burger you buy...

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Closed dining rooms due to covid and labor shortages greatly helped profits of the individual franchisees.

Covid bucks helped the lazy consumer spend much more at McDs and let's be honest, most don't like to cook.

Keep in mind, McD makes their money off Real Estate and royalties, NOT the burger you buy...

That's a good point. It looks like the profit margin for an individual location averages around 10% which still seems pretty good for a restaurant but not "greedy" :)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Back to classic
    2024 ELECTION
    The Yahoo Finance guide to the US presidential race
    Fortune

‘Greedflation’ caused more than half of last year’s inflation surge, study finds, as corporate profits remain at all-time highs​

8287b22ae439471bab9334713b0351b8

Fortune· Getty Images
    Irina Ivanova
    Sat, Jan 20, 20245 min read

But after falling from its blistering pace in 2022, consumer inflation has gotten stubbornly stuck in the 3% range—rising unexpectedly for the last two months even as wholesalers’ prices stay flat or fall. That is greedflation’s music, offering a clear bit of evidence that excessive profit-taking is happening above the raw cost of goods. And yet another progressive economic study, this time from the Groundwork Collaborative, sheds light on the problem, arguing that more than half of the consumer price price increases in the middle of last year were due to excessive profits, according to the findings. Corporate profits, by the way, remain at all-time highs.

View this interactive chart on Fortune.com
    Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation during the second and third quarters of 2023 and more than one-third since the start of the pandemic, the report found, analyzing Commerce Department data. That’s a massive jump from the four decades prior to the pandemic, when profits drove just 11% of price growth.
    “Businesses were really, really quick, when input costs went up, to pass that on to consumers. [But] had they only passed on those increases, inflation would have been maybe one to three points lower,” Liz Pancotti, a strategic advisor at Groundwork and one of the report’s authors, told Fortune.

Less business, more money

In fact, corporate profits have been so good, companies may have backed themselves into a corner, Bloomberg Opinion columnist (and former Fortune editor) Justin Fox opined this week, citing Home Depot’s earnings, which saw an increase in dollar sales per square foot (thanks to rising materials prices) but also fewer transactions. Corporate profits have hit a new record in the most recent quarter, while the portion of national output going to workers is still below pre-pandemic levels, despite solid real wage growth.
    That high-profit, lower-volume dynamic is even hurting workers—who are being scheduled for fewer shifts to service fewer shoppers, who are themselves put off by ever-increasing prices, Bloomberg Opinion writer Conor Sen wrote. In the short term, that trend may manifest itself in some positive changes, like a four-day workweek. But in the longer term, companies will refuse to give up their fat profit margins without a fight, and will try to cut wherever possible. The tech industry, while a small part of the overall economy, is prime evidence of this dynamic, with Google, Amazon and plenty of smaller companies this month announcing plans to shed the less-profitable parts of their workforce as they pivot to the hopefully-more-profitable AI sector.
    I thought there were supposed to be specific companies/examples? All I'm seeing is the same BS word salad the progs use to "define" greedflation along with unknown measurements like "dollar sales per square foot".

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The Martin Shkrelis of the world unfortunately support the Slats Grobnik suspicion there's no such thing as an honest price increase.

But INGO is waaayy off-form here. You're supposed to be saying this is Joe and Cackles' fault, right? Saying "Itz tha free Market" may be technically correct, but doesn't exactly help the "Free Minds and Free Markets" crowd win the election.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I thought there were supposed to be specific companies/examples? All I'm seeing is the same BS word salad the progs use to "define" greedflation along with unknown measurements like "dollar sales per square foot".
    you're not familiar with the phrase? or you'd like a breakdown by retail firms?

Top Bottom