• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Netflix is a serious part of someone's monthly budget? If so, then that person might want to reconsider their priorities. I mean, my Paramount+ subscription went from $4.99/month to $5.99/month. That required some serious belt tightening in the budget!

I've looked at things like this in my own budget. The dollar amount is small, only $1, but the percentage increase is huge, 20%.

My insurance just went up from $87 / mo to $103 / mo. The dollar amount is only $16, but the percentage increase is almost 19%.

I understand that inflation is going to be high for the next decade or so. This is no ones fault. The baby boomers, our largest generation in history, are leaving the work force. Over 50% of them went into retirement last year. As they retire they are moving around their investments from higher risk items to much lower risk items. This is going to put a crunch on how much money companies have to work with. Their departure is also causing a massive increase in labor costs. As the largest generation ever they were the largest work force ever. Their population forced down wages as the herd competed for every job out there. The next generation, Gen X, is the second smallest generation ever. They cannot replace the boomers so the labor market for the first time in decades is being forced to pay more as the numbers are simply no longer there.

The problem with trying to understand it is that much of it is extremely complex and we all look at the problem subjectively, not objectively. And even if we are truly objective I don't believe that most of us, myself especially, has access to all the accurate data on all the variables that impact what affects our currant costs.

Regards,

Doug

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Nice try. You win a cigar.
    Energy........Energy.......Energy.
    Takes a serious amount of electricity to run those server farms, and AI hardware being added, to speed things up, will more than quadruple the amount of energy needed.

As an aside, all this AI stuff coming online is going to tax the grid in a major way. There are already three companies working to receive approval to market prebuilt miniature nuclear powerplants to specifically address this situation.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    But do not discount how much they pay the ISP’s …
    Oh, it's a cost. We pay about $1K a month for a 10G circuit to the Internet. They would have to have a lot of faster circuits all over the world.

If they have their own datacenters, they would have to pay for their own circuits. If they use a cloud provider, that is part of the service cost.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Nice try. You win a cigar.
    Energy........Energy.......Energy.
    Takes a serious amount of electricity to run those server farms, and AI hardware being added, to speed things up, will more than quadruple the amount of energy needed.

As an aside, all this AI stuff coming online is going to tax the grid in a major way. There are already three companies working to receive approval to market prebuilt miniature nuclear powerplants to specifically address this situation.
    Fallout here we come!
    1725018520343.png

Top Bottom