• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Where the hell did you guys go to college? I go to Indiana State and I'm a Criminology and Criminal Justice major. I got rid of all my puff classes my first semester. Now its just all me working my a** off to graduate in 4 years. how much fun

RBJ13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    I go to Purdue, and I'm a Political Science Major emphasizing in International Relations with a minor in German.

Fits in with my poli. sci. needs, especially since it fits my emphasis of IR.

I was going to go to UNC for their Peace, War, and Defense major but went to Purdue instead...

I saw the book for the wine tasting class while picking up my books yesterday! :yesway:

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I went to Western Kentucky University. I checked their academic website. They no longer allow shooting. They have an indoor firing range underneath the parking garage but they shut it down. They claimed that the lead content was too high but I have always been under the impression that it could be cleaned. We shot at the local National Guard Armory when I was in school 5 years ago. They still offer Rappelling.

I also took a fly fishing class during the summer. On second thought, that might have been the single greatest class ever! There is nothing like fly fishing out in a stream in the middle of nowhere with 12 classmates and the teacher and getting credit for it.

And no I'm not still paying interest on these loans. In the words of Terrel Owens, "Straight Cash Baby!"

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Where the hell did you guys go to college? I go to Indiana State and I'm a Criminology and Criminal Justice major. I got rid of all my puff classes my first semester. Now its just all me working my a** off to graduate in 4 years. how much fun
    That's where my fiance went. They had the walking course that she was going to take. Maybe you just aren't on the right academic track.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why do people put up with all of these classes that have nothing to do with your major or career field that you are seeking? The only reason they require these bs classes is job protection for idiot professors. How are universities any different than our government bureaucracy?

How did your walking class further your career? How much sooner could people finish their degrees if they were only required to take courses that are relevant to their career choice? How much less would a college degree cost if you didn't have to take these bs classes?

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Why do people put up with all of these classes that have nothing to do with your major or career field that you are seeking? The only reason they require these bs classes is job protection for idiot professors. How are universities any different than our government bureaucracy?

How did your walking class further your career? How much sooner could people finish their degrees if they were only required to take courses that are relevant to their career choice? How much less would a college degree cost if you didn't have to take these bs classes?

It makes for a "well-rounded scholarly intellect" so 1 out of 10,000 may become a sociological contributer... :rolleyes:

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    You have a good point hornadylnl. I felt the same way. I had about 17 hours to fill with BS (Bull stuff, not Bachelor of Science) classes because I was able to get all of my gen ed, core, and specialized classes done. I was 17 hours short of graduating. So I took weight lifting, swimming for fitness (both on the same day back to back...ouch), an easy geology class and lab, fly fishing, intro to french and a few other easy classes to try and boost my gpa.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All of my 500 level botany and entomology classes at Purdue. Great professors and practical education.

I also enjoyed the golf class my last semester. 1.5 hrs, 3 days a week.

To the point of "Why spend all that time and money on things that don't relate to your job?. It isn't about the individual classes, it's about the degree. And that degree is nothing more than a statement, backed by the university, that I've done my time; that I've listened, learned, and applied. That statement is, to many companies, as good as a union card. It has allowed me (BS '98, School of Agriculture) to work in the insurance industry for a Fortune 100 company, provide a reasonable life for me, my wife, and family. My degree has paid off in spades.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana

Honestly I took some fun classes to breakup the monotony of a grueling 21 credit hour load. If that meant I had to pay for them so be it.

Most entertainment / hobby activities cost money and these were no different. I worked my butt off for 4.5 years to finish school. Kinda feel that a couple off "fun" classes were deserved and most were something I wanted to try or interested me.
    :)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Psychology of Women, it was a fantastic course (insert joke here) it was a full semester 3 credit class... with that said, I never took psychology of men... 1 credit 1/2 semester class, go figure.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I took Beer Science at Purdue. It was by far one of the hardest courses I had ever taken in college. It satisfied one of my science requirements as a PoliSci major. Big mistake.

First day, had some beer, learned the history of beer, etc. Second day, alkalines, organic chemistry. What? We actually had to study science.

I enjoyed it, but I would have rather taken marksmanship courses.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Why? To help diversify an otherwise single-minded thought train which is often developed through strictly core coursework; to address areas in which you feel you may be deficient; to take advantage of a set semester tuition and maximize learning while in college; to break up the monotony of more difficult classes, to name a few.

I've found those more well rounded in their studies tend to be much more open minded and far less bigoted. Additionally, in my own studies I've found that I tend to forget a great deal of the more difficult technical details covered in my core classes (which are more often than not even used in the workplace), while retaining many more of the lessons learned from "BS" classes.

It's unfortunate in today's society that the need to acquire a degree tends to trump the desire for education.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    IU had/has an awesome shooting range underneath the main union building. it is now used as storage! :xmad: Used to have a shooting team that was nationally ranked then they banned guns on campus, thus closing down the range.

The best class i have had here so far is Bass fishing techniques

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why? To help diversify an otherwise single-minded thought train which is often developed through strictly core coursework; to address areas in which you feel you may be deficient; to take advantage of a set semester tuition and maximize learning while in college; to break up the monotony of more difficult classes, to name a few.

I've found those more well rounded in their studies tend to be much more open minded and far less bigoted. Additionally, in my own studies I've found that I tend to forget a great deal of the more difficult technical details covered in my core classes (which are more often than not even used in the workplace), while retaining many more of the lessons learned from "BS" classes.

It's unfortunate in today's society that the need to acquire a degree tends to trump the desire for education.

And how many people do we have running around with degrees that aren't even remotely related to their jobs? I know a factory welder that has an associates, bachelors and a masters. He's still welding plus has $40k + in student loan debt. He always takes 2 classes so he can defer his student loan payments. If this is what colleges are churning out, I'm glad I didn't go.

Yes, I know this particular guy is an idiot and I hope an exception to the rule. It wasn't that long ago that those without degrees were making the average of what those with degrees make today. Once everyone has a degree, what leg up does that piece of paper give you? At 30 years of age, I had been a homeowner for 8 years and had $50k in assets over debt. All while never setting foot in a college classroom. How many people with degrees can say that?

I looked at taking some welding classes at Ivy Tech several years ago. I couldn't give a rat's rear end about getting any college credits for them. I wanted to take the classes to get better at stick and tig welding to be able to pass certification tests. Immediately, the lady was talking about working towards a degree and all the other bs classes that I didn't want. If I remember right, they would only let you take so many tech type classes without taking all the others.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    *Place marker for my story tommorrow on college an taking these "silly" classes. (im drinking right now...not carrying) These classes actually do make since...stay tuned.

Someone rep me for being inebriated an not posting a 600 word essay on my Engineering degrees and the walking class I took and how it all makes since....

:cowbell:

Top Bottom