• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This is why you never send your paperwork off till you get the lower engraved first...

:+1:

And another reason why I always use an outfit with a well-established reputation for doing quality work in this area. The one time I had a lower done locally, it was jacked up (not something as bad or obvious as the OP, but still). Since then, it's been all Orion all the time for me.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Did you have these guys do it?
    shcool.jpg

In all seriousness, that blows.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Couldnt a fella take an endmill to the area they misspelled your name in make a small slot directly over & removing the misspelled name, then restamp it, in the endmill slot ??
    That does suck, hope it works out for ya !

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well, since it's an engraving, the only way to "remove" it is going to be to remove enough metal from the entire area to make the engraving disappear.

Now we're talking about, IMHO, compromised lower that needs to be refinished.
    Compromised? How so? A misspelling does not make it anymore weak.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I know ATF requires Name, city and state to be engraved. Is last name sufficient or does it need to be the full name or first initial and last name. Also abbreviations ok? Such as W. for west or IN for Indiana. Thanks.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    That might be worse than a mis-spelled tattoo...:D
    I believe so too! Are they going to buy you a new one of find a way to fix it? I would be soooooo mad! Cant they read paperwork?

They should do that for you! When you call ask to talk to Paul he is the head cheese there at Spikes. Just explain the situation and he will get ya straightened out. Make the company that screwed up pay for it too!

Last edited by a moderator:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Compromised? How so? A misspelling does not make it anymore weak.

Grinding off the misspellin :):

Thereby removing material, although minimal, would still be removing material
    from an area where there is supposed to be material.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I'm hoping, for the sake of simplicity, I can send the lower to Spike's and they can destroy it and serialize another one with my serial number.

I think this will be a problem. I don't think ATF will allow a company to manufacture and report another firearm with the exact same model, caliber, and serial number. I understand that one would be destroyed but I still don't think ATF will go for it.

If you have already sent in your Form 1 and cannot mill off the mistake and re-engrave it then I think you are going to have to cancel your Form 1 , request a refund due to it not having been manufactured and file another Form 1.

My :twocents:

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with Corey on this one. I am almost 100 % sure they can't re-issue an already used serial number on a firearm.

I am pretty sure some companies back in the early 80's got into trouble when they were doing this on M-16 registered recievers. Olympic maybe?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I think this will be a problem. I don't think ATF will allow a company to manufacture and report another firearm with the exact same model, caliber, and serial number. I understand that one would be destroyed but I still don't think ATF will go for it.

I would def. contact both the NFA branch and also the manufacturer. Although we have not done this for a NFA item, we have sent a Ruger SR9 back to for service and the frame was replaced with the old serial number. In the box was even paperwork from both Ruger and the BATFE concerning the new frame with old serial number, and the old one being destroyed...

Again this is just from what we have had happen with a non-NFA firearm, so this may not work for something NFA...

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Just lightly sand it down, and have it refinished and have it engraved correctly. Situations like these are why I ALWAYS have the customer look over my shoulder and approve it before I press play. If you run into a stumbling block, contact me.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    This is why you never send your paperwork off till you get the lower engraved first...

I agree 100%, but I find it funny that you would give that advise... :popcorn: :): :D

Couldnt a fella take an endmill to the area they misspelled your name in make a small slot directly over & removing the misspelled name, then restamp it, in the endmill slot ??
    That does suck, hope it works out for ya !

I am a machinist and have engraved lowers for people before, and I agree that this could be done very easily and not compromise the strength of the lower.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I agree 100%, but I find it funny that you would give that advise... :popcorn: :): :D

I am a machinist and have engraved lowers for people before, and I agree that this could be done very easily and not compromise the strength of the lower.

My engraver is darn good at what he does. Misspelling... Not in a million years... Dildo with wings.... That might be a concern..

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

If you have already sent in your Form 1 and cannot mill off the mistake and re-engrave it then I think you are going to have to cancel your Form 1 , request a refund due to it not having been manufactured and file another Form 1.

My :twocents:

I know that this has and does happen with at least pistols. It occurred with mine. Not sure if Class 3 affects it.

Top Bottom