• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Would you let your little one take the stick?

[video=youtube_share;GjmNjbkKaPk]http://youtu.be/GjmNjbkKaPk[/video]

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was feeling good about it until the last two seconds...

From a guy who let his Kindergartener pilot a 42' sailboat for an hour or so on the ICW past multimillion dollar yachts and commercial tugs moving barges as the only human on deck.

(yes, I and another adult were VERY close by if needed. But the captains of the other vessels weren't always aware of that fact)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No. Even if we survived the ride, I'd not survive the night after he told Mom about the cool thing Dad let him do today.

I never put my son on my bike. I don't have an issue with those who do, but I didn't feel safe doing it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    OK, I'll be the bad dad. I would and have done exactly that. A bike is quite stable at high speed because of centrifugal force acting on the wheels, and shifting your weight exerts as much control as the front wheel does.

You have already committed the deed just by letting the child ride at all, the extra danger of letting him take the bars is minimal. You are right there after all.

The greatest danger is when mom finds out afterwards! Never film these shared moments of machismo, It's difficult to minimize the event when mommy is looking right at it!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    OK, I'll be the bad dad. I would and have done exactly that. A bike is quite stable at high speed because of centrifugal force acting on the wheels, and shifting your weight exerts as much control as the front wheel does.

You have already committed the deed just by letting the child ride at all, the extra danger of letting him take the bars is minimal. You are right there after all.

The greatest danger is when mom finds out afterwards! Never film these shared moments of machismo, It's difficult to minimize the event when mommy is looking right at it!

This was my thought. The video has gone viral on some motorcycle forums and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the commenters go to blows. :):

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Nope. All it would take is one hard tug on a handlebar and all three are sliding down the road. Countersteering produces a lot of lean, and it is done with the handlebars. And I would never, ever, let a kid ride a motorcycle in anything less than a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, knee/shin guards. You could disfigure a child for the rest of their life in the blink of an eye. That should be a choice you make for yourself, not for your kid.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've gone miles on roads like that without touching the handlebars. The kid had very little input on where the bike was heading. Was more of an optical illusion then a 5 year old riding a motorcycle. Only difference is I would of put long pants and a jacket on the kid.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    BTW, pretty sure they shared a big ole heaping helping of bacon after that ride, pork bacon, not that sissy turkey bacon!!:p

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have a friend whose son was riding in motocross competitions at the age of 6...
    I've known MANY children who were capable of handling firearms safely and accurately engaging their targets at age 6...

I can't believe there are people that think a 6 year old is incapable of taking the handle-bars of a motorcycle for a few seconds on an open, flat road, with no other traffic... oh wait, this is INGO... nevermind, I would believe it...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    It's in the PERCEPTION of danger, not the actual danger itsself. We wince to see this video, but will gladly send that same kid out to stand next to the road trusting that he will get on the right bus and will be gone incommunicado 8 hours until he appears again on the side of the road that evening.

In both instances there is a small but definite aspect of danger. Both has an adult in ALMOST complete control. Both includes the possibility of an intentional act by the kid or of several accidental scenarios resulting in serious outcome. We don't worry much about the school bus though because everybody is doing it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom