• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    One of the things I truly miss about Indiana, is the abundance of gravel (river rock) and crushed limestone.

I had a quarry on my road up there. I could fill up my trailer for practically nothing.

Down here in East Texas, doing a gravel driveway would probably be similar in price to what I paid to have my driveway up there paved.

On the plus side, I’ll never have to pay for sand. I have that going for me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Paid near $600 for a triaxle of 53's delivered not too long ago. Nothing is almost free any longer unfortunately.
    I think what he’s saying if you go to buy it at the quarry and transport it yourself you’d pay very little for the stone relatively.

A few years ago I bought a pickup truck load of stone (500–1000lbs) and it was practically nothing. In fact I had to pay the minimum charge for it.

It might be different if you have to buy it from a landscaping yard vs a quarry.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I think what he’s saying if you go to buy it at the quarry and transport it yourself you’d pay very little for the stone relatively.

A few years ago I bought a pickup truck load of stone (500–1000lbs) and it was practically nothing. In fact I had to pay the minimum charge for it.

It might be different if you have to buy it from a landscaping yard vs a quarry.

This.

If you buy it directly from the gravel pit/quarry, it’s cheap. If you have them deliver it, it gets pricey.

If you buy it from a landscaping yard, that paid to have the material delivered to them, it’s expensive. If you have them deliver it to you, your paying the trucking fees twice.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are your horses going to be walking on it regularly?
    Around our barn we typically use #67 as the topper. Smaller stones and the dust helps make a more even surface for the animals to walk on.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

In the not to distant past we/I could get driveway stone for about 7-15 dollars a ton, using my own truck and or trailer. Now they have stopped allowing us to do that and will only allow commercial dump trucks. So…..that greatly increases costs.

Edit: I belive that’s an Irving Material or IMI outfit. Don’t know about others.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In the not to distant past we/I could get driveway stone for about 7-15 dollars a ton, using my own truck and or trailer. Now they have stopped allowing us to do that and will only allow commercial dump trucks. So…..that greatly increases costs.

Edit: I belive that’s an Irving Material or IMI outfit. Don’t know about others.
    The one at Mitchell is a Rogers Group operation. It’s been before covid that I did that DIY purchase. It could be by now they’re the same way.

Reactions: Mij

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are your horses going to be walking on it regularly?
    Around our barn we typically use #67 as the topper. Smaller stones and the dust helps make a more even surface for the animals to walk on.
    Part of the area they will be on daily.

Just looked and the plant I prefer doesn't offer #67's but they do have #73's which might work assuming it packs well.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Part of the area they will be on daily.

Just looked and the plant I prefer doesn't offer #67's but they do have #73's which might work assuming it packs well.
    We've used those as well depending upon the company we used and what quarry they went to.

We've also put ag-lime down over the top of some areas for the horses for some extra softening.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Appreciate all of the advice and comments.

Had a load of #73's dropped off this afteroon, cost me $564. I'm happy, I was able to get it from the IMI Pipe Creek Jr plant which I was tipped off to when I moved up here that they've got the whitest stone around. I was surprised as I called one of their closer plants first figuring it would be cheaper, not only did they not have #73's (had #53's) but they quoted $75 higher.

Really good lookin stuff. Got the aisle of the barn spread first then along this side of the new addition. Still gotta throw a drain tile in along the south edge of the building then it'll get the fresh gravel treatment as well.

d6V217Fh.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Appreciate all of the advice and comments.

Had a load of #73's dropped off this afteroon, cost me $564. I'm happy, I was able to get it from the IMI Pipe Creek Jr plant which I was tipped off to when I moved up here that they've got the whitest stone around. I was surprised as I called one of their closer plants first figuring it would be cheaper, not only did they not have #73's (had #53's) but they quoted $75 higher.

Really good lookin stuff. Got the aisle of the barn spread first then along this side of the new addition. Still gotta throw a drain tile in along the south edge of the building then it'll get the fresh gravel treatment as well.

d6V217Fh.jpg
    Your barn is looking good!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Your barn is looking good!
    Thank you. It was an absolute dumpster fire when we bought the place. 40+yrs old, brown metal which had been hastily sprayed red. I tore it off and did the very best "I'm not qualified and have no idea what I'm doing" attempt at replacing it all with grey steel from Menards. I successfully transitioned it from dumpster fire to depressing hot mess which is where it was until we hired an Amish crew who did an amazing job.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thank you. It was an absolute dumpster fire when we bought the place. 40+yrs old, brown metal which had been hastily sprayed red. I tore it off and did the very best "I'm not qualified and have no idea what I'm doing" attempt at replacing it all with grey steel from Menards. I successfully transitioned it from dumpster fire to depressing hot mess which is where it was until we hired an Amish crew who did an amazing job.
    Yeah, I remember. I was there when the Amish crew were working on it.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    How much cheaper is recycled asphalt compared to gravel?
    If you’re close enough to the road rehab job it can be free. Don’t know what resellers charge. Local, county, and state DOT’s must pay to dump it somewhere, so if they can give you 10 or 50 loads it costs them less. For them fuel and labor cost way heavy in there decisions.

Top Bottom