• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    ahhh...I searched and now i get it....because I hope in the end a drug dealer goes to prison, that makes me a troll?

First, the war on drugs is crap.

Second, if it takes letting a drug dealer off the hook to preserve my liberty, I'm all for it.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I can handle inherently flawed. What I can't handle is a system that encourages and fosters abuse and refuses to institute the proper checks on itself as well as sufficient oversight to see that the limitations under which it is supposed to operate are working properly.

What kind of checks and oversight would you propose? I'm not sure how the system encourages and fosters abuse, since an honest person will not abuse his or her authority no matter what the system is, and a dishonest one will fine a way to abuse any system.

I don't think that things are getting worse, either. If anything, you see more dirty cops and judges being exposed and punished now than ever before. Not too long ago, back before anyone ever heard of Miranda rights and when cops could legally shoot you in the back for fleeing, the potential for abuse was much greater. I have an acquaintance who was a cop back in the early to mid 70's, and from his stories, cops today are far more restricted.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Some of you guys crack me up. First off if you had a covert GPS unit on your vehicle very few people would ever find it. Even if you knew it was there and you were looking for it. With most people, if they found it they wouldn't even know that they found it. Espicially so with the ones the government use's. I would not be surprised if some of the very people on this thread has one on their vehicle. Just saying.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What kind of checks and oversight would you propose? I'm not sure how the system encourages and fosters abuse, since an honest person will not abuse his or her authority no matter what the system is, and a dishonest one will fine a way to abuse any system.
    I don't think that things are getting worse, either. If anything, you see more dirty cops and judges being exposed and punished now than ever before. Not too long ago, back before anyone ever heard of Miranda rights and when cops could legally shoot you in the back for fleeing, the potential for abuse was much greater. I have an acquaintance who was a cop back in the early to mid 70's, and from his stories, cops today are far more restricted.

What restrictions existed on the cop who exited his vehicle with firearm drawn and at the low-ready who shot and killed the pedestrian without just cause? What restrictions existed on the cop who shoved a man into a brick wall so hard that said man may never wake from his coma (last I heard about this story anyway)? What restrictions exist on departments to conduct no-knocks on petty drug dealers that get innocent people killed because somebody didn't triple-check the address once they got on scene? The guy who was shot and killed with a hose nozzle? And those are only the ones Rambone finds for us.

I'm sorry. We'll just have to agree to disagree. This isn't about individual cops. This is about systemic-wide policies that practically guarantee immunity for the LEO. This is about "officer safety" justification for illegally restraining a person or illegally confiscating his property. This is about having near blanket protection to do whatever under the authority of acting in an official capacity. The face of LE has change, all right. But I hardly think it's more restrictive.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

So there I was driving around this morning for work with this lovely board to think about when it struck me, what if...;

What if a Guy with one of these on their vehicle found it. Knowing the elderly couple next door loves to hit garage sales every weekend slips it on their car Friday night. Saturday morning the Guy drives to the nearest Starbucks and plants himself in front of a security camera ALL DAY drinking coffee and flirting with the girls! Then, Saturday night goes and retrieves his little GPS and puts it back on his car. The Guy does this for about four (4) Saturdays or Sundays in a row.

Come time for trial he could present reasonable doubt about everything the GPS recorded. Right...?

Regards,

Doug

PS - The kid down the block that does pizza delivery would work great too!:D

PPS - Who's car would you stick it on???

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Honest people can abuse their constitutional authority if they are blind enough to believe that they are actually on the side of good. But the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I'm sure a lot of "honest" people are manning the checkpoints that are appearing all over America. But they will be shown to be on the wrong side of history.

Some of you guys crack me up. First off if you had a covert GPS unit on your vehicle very few people would ever find it. Even if you knew it was there and you were looking for it. With most people, if they found it they wouldn't even know that they found it. Espicially so with the ones the government use's. I would not be surprised if some of the very people on this thread has one on their vehicle. Just saying.

Why would you not be surprised? Because of our free speech? Are you against these things or what?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Honest people can abuse their constitutional authority if they are blind enough to believe that they are actually on the side of good. But the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I'm sure a lot of "honest" people are manning the checkpoints that are appearing all over America. But they will be shown to be on the wrong side of history.

Why would you not be surprised? Because of our free speech? Are you against these things or what?

I would not be surprised because there are a lot of people on this site. Some are vocally radical and that could bring attention to one's self.

As far as being for or against covert GPS units I honestly don't know much about the reasons why certain agency's decide to track a persons travels and places they frequent. I suppose it could provide valuable lead information.

I did recover one from a vehicle for a certain federal agency at their request. According to them they are quite expensive. I was told where to look on the vehicle and what I was looking for actually looked like. Had I not been I would have never guessed in a million years that it was in fact a GPS tracking unit. They are very clever designs.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Ok, let's be honest now. How many here has crawled under their vehicle and checked for a GPS? ;)

I havent nor do I care to. I have nothing to worry about. If being "radical" like j706 said, means that I speak up about injustices that my government is involved in then whatever. Thats patriotic to me. Im not a terrorist nor am I a criminal, I think certain parts of the govt are the terrorists and that most of the law enforcement side of the federal government is for a revenue generator and a job generator at a lot of (not all) innocent citizens expense. why are they arresting people for possession of a joint when they dont even stop illegal criminals at our border? then they give them guns to kill our own people with, what the hell?

also j706, I do know what some of these devices look like as I have used them before in my old job. So yes I do know what to look for. Im already aware that they can listen in on your phone track you with your cell phone and everything you say on any phone or device is being recorded all the time anyways, that goes for EVERYONE. we have no privacy anyways. The least they could do, if they wanna listen in on me and my wife having sex is shout out an ada-boy or something. also if they want you bad enough they will get a rubber stamp warrant or none at all, they will just call you a terrorist. the only difference between today in America and in colonial times is the standing armies of the evil empire dont wear red coats, they wear suits and raid gear.

P.S. J706, that wasnt a gps device that "agency" had you retrieve. they dont make them look like coffee cups. that was just them making you their coffee ***** and tricking you to like it. lol

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I havent nor do I care to. I have nothing to worry about. If being "radical" like j706 said, means that I speak up about injustices that my government is involved in then whatever. Thats patriotic to me. Im not a terrorist nor am I a criminal, I think certain parts of the govt are the terrorists and that most of the law enforcement side of the federal government is for a revenue generator and a job generator at a lot of (not all) innocent citizens expense. why are they arresting people for possession of a joint when they dont even stop illegal criminals at our border? then they give them guns to kill our own people with, what the hell?

also j706, I do know what some of these devices look like as I have used them before in my old job. So yes I do know what to look for. Im already aware that they can listen in on your phone track you with your cell phone and everything you say on any phone or device is being recorded all the time anyways, that goes for EVERYONE. we have no privacy anyways. The least they could do, if they wanna listen in on me and my wife having sex is shout out an ada-boy or something. also if they want you bad enough they will get a rubber stamp warrant or none at all, they will just call you a terrorist. the only difference between today in America and in colonial times is the standing armies of the evil empire dont wear red coats, they wear suits and raid gear.

P.S. J706, that wasnt a gps device that "agency" had you retrieve. they dont make them look like coffee cups. that was just them making you their coffee ***** and tricking you to like it. lol

Hey man I have no doubt that you are NOT a terrorist or a criminal. I also did not imply that you were.

As for the device I recovered it was in fact a tracking device. It was outside of the vehicle and there is no way it could have recorded cell phone conversations or any conversations at all. This thing was 3/8 OD and 1/4" tall with a very, very strong unidirectional magnet(Magnetic all around the thing). It required the use of a leatherman tool to remove due to it's small size and powerful magnet. The magnet is powerful enough that it does not have to be placed on the vehicle directly. It can be placed on the ground in the path where the target vehicle will drive over it. No kidding it is that strong. This one had been on the vehicle for over one year and was loosing transmit power.

They didn't trick me. I was merely returning a favor for some work they had done for me. Work that got a once convicted gun carrying murderer back where he belonged (Federal Prison) for a VERY long time.:yesway: I will be long retired when this POS gets out.

By the way, a warrant for phone type taps ect. is very hard to get from my understanding. But that type of stuff is way above my little insignificant peon status.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Technology is blurring the line. I like to play "Devil's Advocate" so here I go. A GPS device will tell LEO's where the vehicle is at all times. Is that any different than an officer "tailing" a suspect or any other visual tracking? As long as the officers are observing the suspect from an area they are allowed to be, that is quite legal, albeit expensive. GPS is a cheaper form of "tailing". The officers could very well plant the device while it was parked on a public street or other location that was NOT the vehicle owners property, again, in a place they were allowed to be. Just food for thought.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was told where to look on the vehicle and what I was looking for actually looked like. Had I not been I would have never guessed in a million years that it was in fact a GPS tracking unit.

Do tell. Seriously. What did it look like and where did they stash it?:popcorn:

also j706, I do know what some of these devices look like as I have used them before in my old job. So yes I do know what to look for.
    See above.
    Technology is blurring the line. I like to play "Devil's Advocate" so here I go. A GPS device will tell LEO's where the vehicle is at all times. Is that any different than an officer "tailing" a suspect or any other visual tracking? As long as the officers are observing the suspect from an area they are allowed to be, that is quite legal, albeit expensive. GPS is a cheaper form of "tailing". The officers could very well plant the device while it was parked on a public street or other location that was NOT the vehicle owners property, again, in a place they were allowed to be. Just food for thought.

The GPS will also tell exactly where the vehicle is, when it is someplace a LEO could not legally go without a warrant to tail someone. A guy might have a 1000 acres of land and be driving around on it, sure they could use a helicopter or plane to track them, and yes it would be much more expensive, but I like that idea. The more it costs the less likely they will use it.

And yes they could plant it when the vehicle is on a public street or such, but the vehicle itself is private property. Heck I don't like it when they touch my tail light, it could be that they are planting evidence. :):

Top Bottom