• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My first thought was that this was like the one housing development somewhere out west. The GPS gives directions to drive right past the entrance, then up a guy's private driveway and through his yard to get into the development. Somebody clearly made a mistake. The bad thing is, they can change their GPS programming, but none of the existing GPS units will get updated until they manually update it.

Once I got through the story I realized that they sort of had it coming. If they chose the shortest route option they should've expected some back roads.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife got a Garmin for Christmas. We took our favorite short cut down to Holland, IN on Sunday, and I think we pretty well ticked off the lady reading us the directions. The "Recalculating" went from the normal cheery (but annoying tone) to a very frustrated tone.

In all seriousness, I think the quote from the GPS manufacturer sums it up;

"drivers must always remember that GPS provide route suggestions. They do not cause drivers to make driving decisions."

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So in other words, the GPS manufacture knows their products are defective and their disclaimer that the route is a "suggestion" makes it ok?

Yep, always be prepared with more than one way out.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    So in other words, the GPS manufacture knows their products are defective and their disclaimer that the route is a "suggestion" makes it ok?

The article does not say that the GPS was giving them a bad route; it could very well have led to the couple's house.

The GPS does not know the conditions of the road, just that there is a road.

I wouldn't drive the way my GPS suggested if there were 3 feet of water across the road. Eyeballs come in handy while driving.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The article does not say that the GPS was giving them a bad route; it could very well have led to the couple's house.

The GPS does not know the conditions of the road, just that there is a road.

I wouldn't drive the way my GPS suggested if there were 3 feet of water across the road. Eyeballs come in handy while driving.

You wouldn't do this?

YouTube - The Office- Michael drives into a lake!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    True story about young people and GPS: Had a younger fellow with me at work and we got lost while driving. So I pulled out the map and compass. The other guy asked me what I had. I replied a compass. "What does it do?" Tells me what direction is north. "Cool, like with GPS" Sure just like GPS.:rolleyes:

Funny thing is that I have a GPS in the truck, but I also carry a laminated map.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    maybe they should have joined the army and went through a land nav course and learned not relay so much on electronic gizmos . My Silva and topos hAVE NEVER LET ME DOWN . know where you are at

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm actually surprised that this sort of thing does not happen more often. As a climber, one of the first rules of navigation is carry more than one map/compass and know that a GPS is extra, not primary. Yes, driving down the road is a lot different than alpine mountaineering, but if Map Quest gave directions to drive over a fallen bridge...would you? Nope. If your GPS simply stopped working, shouldn't you have some other means of navigation? Yep.

I love the one in my vehicle and tend to use it a lot. I like most that it gives me updated ETA's that are nice if I'm calling ahead. It is not a primary navigation tool (that's what my DeLorme is for), but a nice one to have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I don't use it as my primary direction source, but I like mine with the traffic update feature. It kept me out of a couple of traffic back ups during my last trip North. That by itself is worth the $$$.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    They were very lucky. in addition to what others have said. I try to also keep other means of communication in a vehicle. A CB may have been able to get some where.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My Tom Tom 730 Go took me from my front door in Camby, right to the driveway of my son in Lake Worth, Florida. It navigated me through Atlanta very well when I had to get off the interstate due to traffic problems. However, as a backup, I did have a 1 gallon baggie full of every state map through which I was going to pass, just in case. I do not completely trust modern technology to not leave you stranded at some inopportune time.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    I have been directionally challenged my entire life and have had a GPS for several years. It has saved my butt on many road trips. That said, I have never allowed it to get in the way of good judgement or common sense. It is mearly a electronic device that indicates the best way it's little brain thinks it should direct you. It doesn't understand snow or bad neighborhoods, that's the job of the user.
    I grew up in the great Northwest and lived for ten years in Arizona. I know how quickly things can deteriorate when you decide to get off the beaten path in the snow or the heat. He is lucky he had some safety supplies to keep him going while he was stuck. Every year you read about people that just didn't understand how tenious there safety is outside a warm or cool running automobile. Once that life support system gives out.......all bets are off on how long you can survive.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    MUST READ!!

This incident happened a few months ago. It is a must read article. If you know of any young drivers, print it out when they give you the :rolleyes: about knowing directions, how to get help, etc..

Boy Stranded in Death Valley Dies

LAS VEGAS (Aug. 7) — An 11-year-old boy died in the intense heat of Death Valley National Park after he and his mother became stranded in one of the world's most inhospitable areas and survived for several days on bottled water, Pop-Tarts and cheese sandwiches, authorities said Friday.
    Alicia Sanchez, 28, was found severely dehydrated and remained hospitalized in Las Vegas a day after being found with her dog, her dead son and a Jeep Cherokee buried up to its axles in sand. She told rescuers in California's San Bernardino County that her son Carlos died Wednesday, days after she fixed a flat tire and continued into Death Valley, relying on directions from a GPS device in the vehicle. Sanchez told authorities she couldn't get a cell phone signal, and even hiked to the top of a peak to try. Authorities said the pair had no maps and quickly consumed the food and water they brought. Pennington said cellular service is spotty and global positioning satellite directions can be unreliable on unmaintained roads and open desert in and around Death Valley. "A GPS does not replace a map, a compass, checking in at the visitor center and letting people know where you're going to be," Pennington said.

I see more and more people using GPS as the _only_ way to know their way around. I have talked with people who have been driving to one location over and over, say 20 times, and their GPS is stolen and they have no idea how to get back home. I can't believe some folks are so focused on the GPS, that they can't even memorize street names, landmarks, etc.. Sad. Also, if you are going to remote areas like Death Valley, you _must_ have a way to contact people for help. The two main things, which most folks would pass on because of costs, are either OnStar or a Personal Locator Beacon. My personal opinion is to have both. OnStar can call for help if you are in some rural area and end up hitting a deer, swerve and hit a tree, then end up knocked out with an air bag deployment.

The mom in the above article actually understood the concept of radio signals. She failed to understand that in the middle of nowhere, it doesn't matter if you climb the highest peak, if there are no cell towers, there are no signals. With OnStar and a PLB, she could have hit a couple of buttons and had help on the way. Also should have had flares (get the kind that go the highest in the sky, then climb to the tallest point nearby and launch), signal mirrors, and strobe light.

Top Bottom