• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    That's the sort of comment you should color purple, lest you lead people to think you are an idiot.

Why? It might be mythical from a production standpoint... but I don't see why a scientist couldn't really make a 100% plastic gun if they wanted. They have been developing plastics/composites that are 5, 10 even 15 times stronger than steel for awhile now.... There may not be a market demand for it right now... but that doesn't mean its impossible to do

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Nice toy, but unless it can make me something worthwhile, it's useless to me.

Can it make me lunch? or dinner? or donuts? :dunno: Mmmmmmmm - Donuts.....

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I think the Lego group is also scared buy that. :):

12375606131972403652pitr_lego_smiley_-_scared-svg-hi.png

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I think the Lego group is also scared buy that. :):

The LEGO factory in Denmark is one of the most advanced manufacturing facilities on earth. They ain't scared. They may be planning ahead, but not scared.:D

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Of course we all know that Glock could produce 100% plastic guns if they wanted to but as a concession to get all that police handgun business, they buried the technology. That infamous "Glock 7" that can slip through airport metal detectors with ease.

So I've got one of these 3D printers on order and should have it by the end of the month. I'm going to start "printing" plastic guns for a small service fee. Any takers?

I'm KIDDING of course. I could print a plastic gun but it would be about as deadly to the shooter as it might be to anyone downrange. Plastic in general, and the specific and very weak plastic that these 3D printers print cannot handle the pressures or temperatures developed by even a .22 LR round. The barrel would burst, likely the bullet would lodge in the barrel as it melted a wave of plastic in front of itself, and most likely only the shooter would be injured.

If governments are "afraid" of these 3D printers it's only because they are totally ignorant of the technology. Not that this is any surprise!

Now when 3D METAL printing becomes available, there might be reason to worry.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Now we have LEGO nazis? :D

I think I need to send these guys to visit you.
    4772474405_619f6a5dba.jpg

The general is not pleased with your comments.
    article-1091862-02AF689A000005DC-56_224x423.jpg

Perhaps some time here will make you change your mind.
    libera3.jpg

5.jpg

LEGO_small_v3.jpg

lego-kz1.jpg

That is the guy, Zbigniew Libera, who created those 'custom' LEGO sets from LEGO bricks donated by The LEGO Company. TLC did not know what the 'art project' was for BTW. More info on the sets here:
    Konzentrationslager

The LEGO factory in Denmark is one of the most advanced manufacturing facilities on earth. They ain't scared. They may be planning ahead, but not scared.:D

^This! TLC factory in Denmark is 90% completely automated. Robots handle just about ever aspect of the making of the bricks. LEGO bricks are made via molds with plastic "hot & liquid form" injected into the molds. Actually TLC does use 3D printers for rapid prototyping of new brick elements and has for several years now. Once the final design of the new element is approved it goes on to become a mold (very expensive) to be used to create millions of that part.

While someone at home could, in theory, make the individual bricks it is going to require a lot of time and the element files. The LEGO community does have a CAD-like program called LDraw (LDraw.org - Home) which does virtual LEGO designs now. That library could be used to export to a 3D printer and start the production. The issue then would be one of quality.

You can get cheap Chinese knock off bricks or MegaBlock but the quality of that plastic vs the quality of a LEGO brick is very noticeable.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Government's are trembeling? Nope, not at all. They have nothing to worry about. The NRA will do all the GOV's dirty work without them even having to ask. 3D printing of guns will be lobbied right into severe restrictions.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What the hell happened to my thread?

I got INGO'd!!!

And I have been hearing for over 20 years that this technology would make my job as a mold maker/designer obsolete. Sure, It has improved, both in price and quality, but it does not yet rival a traditionally manufactured plastic component in terms of durability.

Besides, anything we do without explicit .gov permission scares the hell outta them. Why should this be any different?:dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    By NRA you mean SAF, right?

Both could apply. But what I'm getting at, is that there's a group that fears the idea of 3D printing more than the government... they're called Ruger, Daniel Defense, S&W, Remington, Magpul, and any other company that manufactures firearms or accessories. That's a multi-billion dollar industry. Surely no one is so naive to think that they wont be ok with people printing up AR lowers or Pmag clones in their basements? Of course they won't... and they'll call in a few favors from the NRA or whomever, and have 3D printing curtailed, if not completely prohibited, at least as far as firearms go.

I think it's doomed from the start, which I'm not sure isn't a bad idea. 'Cause if most of reputable companies fold, then the price for a quality firearm will be driven up, or you can buy a 3D alternative, which I imagine would vary greatly in quality depending on the printer, program, and design.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    they're called Ruger, Daniel Defense, S&W, Remington, Magpul, and any other company that manufactures firearms or accessories.

Yes, I concur, laws are about building fences or seeking economic rents.

Heck, it was JFK that carried the water for Smith & Wesson in attempting to cut off Sam Cummings surplus train in the late '50s.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, I concur, laws are about building fences or seeking economic rents.

Heck, it was JFK that carried the water for Smith & Wesson in attempting to cut off Sam Cummings surplus train in the late '50s.

Exactly, there's one hell of a battle on the horizon...

One thing I didn't think of, is what implication this would have on gun registration. I think it's conceiveable that the gov would require arms created by a printer (and the printers capable of) to be documented through them in some way, and non-transferable unless again documented... which in effect would make those weapons leppers to many enthusiasts.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Needless to say there's going to be a TON of new laws concerning this. Kirk you might want to get a head start now, before TF starts appearing on TV, adding to his vast govt-supplied fortune, lol

Top Bottom