• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well, you said you don't shoot after 4 or 5pm, but went on to say you were out shooting "last night." Maybe all of you should get together to come to an agreement on what afternoon, evening, and night, really means.

I would just keep shooting if it is lawful in the area and during reasonable times. I say that because what would you do if one of your neighbors said to stop shooting at 4pm, seven days a week? I would make them bring the problem to me. I'm not going to search for someone to put restrictions on me. Good neighbors talk to each other. An anonymous note means nothing.

Nice summary of Que's post, Zoomie! :):

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What would you do?

Make a copy, file the original.

Run it up the flag pole and see who salutes.

Other than that I'd ignore it.

Make a list of all your neighbors and then go out and shoot. Mark off the ones who show up to shoot. Mark off the ones who invite you over to shoot.

I wouldn't write any notes or discuss it with any one else who's not shooting with you.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Make a list of all your neighbors and then go out and shoot. Mark off the ones who show up to shoot. Mark off the ones who invite you over to shoot.
    Neighborhood BBQ and shoot. That way even the timid may show. Watch he doesn't show or runs away in tears. Maybe they will man up when they see u and other neighbors talking and enjoying life. And start a neighborly conversation and ask for a compromise.

And don't fret the vanilla scent. Vanilla is a (most) male's aphrodisiac. Use it to your advantage when needed.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would Probably just ignore the note and keep shooting. It sounds like you are already being pretty considerate. If it is bothering this neighbor that much he will eventually man up and come talk to you in person and then you can work something out. Until then I see no reason to change.

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    Josh,
    In my opinion you are not out of line with your shooting times and as long as you are safe they have nothing to worry about.

Now the folks who think that you should be able to shoot whenever until whatever hour. That is your right but you also have neighbors that you have to live next to. I have been experiencing a neighbor that would start shooting after 8pm with large bore guns. My 2 small children get up very early for the bus so they are in bed by 8pm. I asked them if they could call it a night because of my kids and they complied.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I think you handled it the proper way. Being anon, note, I would doubt if the neighbor would own up to if asked anyway.
    I would follow up with the neighbors so you can show or demonstrate that you attempted to comply with the considerations of your neighbors.
    But your times are not extreme at all.
    I also have a private range, no neighbors really close, but lots of bikers and walkers sometimes. They just routed a marathon past it last Saturday. Kind of muddy then with all the rain and flooding.
    Also have a winery that located about one mile from it, and the closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile.
    I respect others rights and expect them to respect mine.
    But I still do not shoot to early or late.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Not a big fan of tannerite. I like explosions to mean something! :D

What I did today, and will be doing from now on, is affix the bayonet to the 91/30 and carry it to get the mail and whatnot.

I had my neighbor staring at me as he drove past... the intent is to make folks unsure about guns see that there's nothing to worry about, not to intimidate anyone.

Last time I did this, it was with a "black" shotgun. I had seen a suspicious vehicle along the road for a few days running, and decided that a passive show of force would be a good idea.

The neighbor's (the ones I dislike) house got broken into, instead. I watched the whole thing, in fact. I thought they were just moving. Got to give a description though -- white panel van. (This was a few years back).

I've been through the county ordinances -- all of them now -- and can find no mention of shooting a specific distance from a dwelling or outbuilding. The only thing I can find is Indiana code, and it regulates guns with regards to schools (1000ft) and roads, and I'm well away from both.

Josh

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I look at it kinda like this. Josh seems to be a reasonable man and is acting reasonably for the rural area in which he lives.

I see no reason for him to bend over backwards to accommodate or attempt "to comply with the considerations of (his) neighbor" who is making ridiculous and anonymous complaints.

Even if this person had the stones to confront Josh in person, Josh would have been within his rights to say, "Thanks for your input," and then gone about his business.

My neighbor...yes...THAT neighbor...knew from the moment he moved in that I work nights and sleep during the day...from late afternoon until about 10pm. Yet, at least once a week, he would fire up a gas-powered weed eater or a leaf blower right outside my bedroom window as I tried to sleep.

My solution? Chalk it up to my neighbor being an inconsiderate dick-head, say nothing further to him about the noise, and run a fan full-blast in my room to drown out the outside noise.

My neighbor also has about a half-dozen cats he allows to run loose all the time. These critters tear up my flower beds and gardens, roost on my vehicles and scratch up the paint, and use my property as their litter box.

One day a few years ago while I was scooping cat feces from my flower beds, I noticed my neighbor nearby and asked him if he could please keep his cats off my property.

He replied snottily, "Well...I guess I could just kill them all."

It was at this point that I concluded that my neighbor was a certified, loony old coot with whom I could not reason. I never said another word to him regarding his cats.

My solution? A few years later I DID shoot one of his son's Rottweilers.

Surprisingly, my neighbor's house is up for sale now.

Won't you be my neighbor?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I look at it kinda like this. Josh seems to be a reasonable man and is acting reasonably for the rural area in which he lives.

I see no reason for him to bend over backwards to accommodate or attempt "to comply with the considerations of (his) neighbor" who is making ridiculous and anonymous complaints.

Even if this person had the stones to confront Josh in person, Josh would have been within his rights to say, "Thanks for your input," and then gone about his business.

My neighbor...yes...THAT neighbor...knew from the moment he moved in that I work nights and sleep during the day...from late afternoon until about 10pm. Yet, at least once a week, he would fire up a gas-powered weed eater or a leaf blower right outside my bedroom window as I tried to sleep.

My solution? Chalk it up to my neighbor being an inconsiderate dick-head, say nothing further to him about the noise, and run a fan full-blast in my room to drown out the outside noise.

My neighbor also has about a half-dozen cats he allows to run loose all the time. These critters tear up my flower beds and gardens, roost on my vehicles and scratch up the paint, and use my property as their litter box.

One day a few years ago while I was scooping cat feces from my flower beds, I noticed my neighbor nearby and asked him if he could please keep his cats off my property.

He replied snottily, "Well...I guess I could just kill them all."

It was at this point that I concluded that my neighbor was a certified, loony old coot with whom I could not reason. I never said another word to him regarding his cats.

My solution? A few years later I DID shoot one of his son's Rottweilers.

Surprisingly, my neighbor's house is up for sale now.

Won't you be my neighbor?

I would gladly be your neighbor sir:D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Ummm. Psst. Sherlock? I don't know why you dislike them, but my detective skills tell me this is your anonymous note-writer. ;)

I don't like them because he let his dogs onto my land a few years back and I had to shoot at 'em.

I love dogs and hate irresponsible owners.

His dog charged me on my property again as I was trying to get firewood. I drew and held my fire as I saw it be stopped by a very long chain.

Owner comes over telling me to stop pointing my gun at the dog. I ordered him to call it off. He told me that if I shot his dog, I'd have to shoot him. I told him to call it off. After a few times of this, he called his dog off, I holstered, and walked away and reported it.

Dog and I are now friends and the neighbor is still a dick.

Josh

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Take note, make target out of it, shoot target. Send a letter of thanks to all neighbors for whoever sent letter now made target.

Seriously though, I think you've handled as ideally as can be. Good job and keep shooting:rockwoot:

Top Bottom