Got pulled over, informed officer that I was carrying.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    There is not IC code for it. Its sworn...Sworn to uphold the laws of the state of Indiana. Lots of people think troopers have the most authority. In actually it would be a town marshal. State law, +local ordinances.

^^This.

Town marshals actually do have the entire state as "jurisdiction" even though there's no such thing as jurisdiction in IN. They have the same authority as State Troopers. A town marshal can pull you over in a county half a state away from his local beat and write you a ticket. While other police and sheriffs have this authority in IN, generally they'll inform the local dispatch that they're performing their duties as a courtesy, and they'll request a local unit for the actual infraction or arrest or they'll just have local units backing them up anyway.

I know of a town marshal that has to work in two counties thanks to the town being split by the county line. They'll not only patrol the town but also run traffic on the interstate between the two county seats and will back up the county or state officers if they're close enough.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Lets say I work for Johnson County....I have no authority to enforce any Greenwood city ordinances. Cities big enough to have their own court will enact ordinances that mimic state code. So you get a moving violation under the city ordinance...if you want to contest it the city has its own court....and the city gets most of the money. Its not really a cash cow unless the city is big....You cant get a judge to put on a robe for under $80k a year.

I know a small town that does something along these lines, but doesn't have it's own court. The officer will write you up under the local ordinance, but if you choose to contest it they will amend/change/whatever it to a ticket under county court. Or at least that is what the officer told me.

I know of a town marshal that has to work in two counties thanks to the town being split by the county line. They'll not only patrol the town but also run traffic on the interstate between the two county seats and will back up the county or state officers if they're close enough.

Similar story here, my cousin was a deputy in two counties at the same time. And he was actually a town cop. :n00b: This was in LoFS, back in the late 80's early 90's if I remember right. The town had unarmed security, and wanted them to be armed they worked out a deal with the two county sheriff depts. to have them deputized for liability reasons I think.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Johnson Co. sheriffs don't need no stinkin' jurisdiction. I had one follow me over 3 miles into Marion Co. before stopping me (right about the same area) and when I asked what he was doing in Marion Co, he started getting loud and obnoxious....called for backup....quickly cuffed and stuffed me......then they all high tailed it back into Johnson Co VERY proud of themselves for evading procedure. Ultimately it was okay though because I was MUCH happier in Johnson Co jail than I would have been in Marion Co.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I work on near 135...its not uncommon to see metro 5..6 miles past co line. So you got cuffed and stuffed for asking questions?

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    No, FTA warrant. Apparently I had an unpaid ticket.

You dont get an FTA warrat in Indiana for an unpaid ticket.........maybe a Summons, which is dispensed like a ticket but is actually an arrest (as in could have gone to jail at the time of the incident).

Not bashing you, questioning you or anything like that..........just putting that info out there.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    ETA: Post removed. Not worth my time.

I said right in te post I wasn't bashing you or questioning you..........just only saying you don't get arrested in Indiana for FTA on a ticket (as in infraction).............I don't personally see a need to edit anything, I can have a rational discussion.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    .....just only saying you don't get arrested in Indiana for FTA on a ticket (as in infraction)......

My ex-wife was lucky enough to be arrested and put in jail for a FTA on a bounced check after getting pulled over for speeding... So it can happen.

Mark

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    There isn't a I.C. granting officers this power. It was a House Bill passed about 5 years back or so. It was about the same time a House Bill was passed that protects volunteer Firefighters and E.M.T's. from losing their job because they responded to call rather than reporting to work. It may of even been the same House Bill but I don't remember for sure.

Last edited:

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    My ex-wife was lucky enough to be arrested and put in jail for a FTA on a bounced check after getting pulled over for speeding... So it can happen.

Mark

Then your ex-wife was arrested for bouncing the check (which by the way I don't agree with being arrested for bouncing one check) not for failing to pay the speeding ticket.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I want to clarify my understanding of things and this is so far a good post.

As I understand it when the Indiana STATE Legislature passes a law it is a "Law" and is enforceable by any Law Enforcement Officer in the state. True?

Now when a city and/or county passes a rule it is an "Ordinance" and is NOT a Law, therefore you cannot be legally arrested for violating an ordinance, but you can receive a ticket by local authorities. True?

As an example Fort Wayne passed a "No Smoking Ordinance." Could a sheriffs deputy from a county outside of Allen County give me a ticket if I violated this ordinance?

Also, would the same apply to cities that set speed limits and/or traffic signs on their own streets?

I ask these questions because as I understand it the word "law" is being used without clarification.

Regards,

Doug

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Then your ex-wife was arrested for bouncing the check (which by the way I don't agree with being arrested for bouncing one check) not for failing to pay the speeding ticket.

That makes sense...

She needed it regardless, but it still didn't help, hence she is an ex... :):

Top Bottom