Got pulled over, informed officer that I was carrying.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Kinda weird though I live exactly .5 miles outside of city limits and our city police wont respond to my house, only the sheriffs dept will come out here.

That has to do with the geographic location of the particular department you work for. The city police could come to your house to back up county or make an arrest, but it's not their responsibilty.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Dont get me started on police misrepresenting the location of an infraction. This instance doesnt sound dishonest, but I have been there. I got stopped for driving two over the actual speed limit. I pulled over right next to the sign for the next zone. I hadnt crossed it, and I was never in that zone. I got written up in the next zone, making my 2 over a 12 over, and a $150 fine plus three points. And I tried contesting it, and lost because the polite officer decided to testify that he witnessed me over on the OTHER SIDE, a block down, which is where he made the stop (in his mind). It was complete BS.

Anyways, no harm no foul. I dont care if it is a Michigan cop in Indiana, I slow down when I see that cruiser, and I pray he feels that I am not worth it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    That has to do with the geographic location of the particular department you work for. The city police could come to your house to back up county or make an arrest, but it's not their responsibilty.

This.

There are certain roads in the city where I work that are city on one side and county on the other. If you live on the "county side" then the county guys are supposed to respond. The way it usually works out is that they send us until they can get there and then they take any resulting paperwork. We also back up neighboring departments on certain calls and vice versa, so it wouldn't be unheard of to see one of our cars over at a call in the next town.

As far as the mention of officers working traffic well out of their area, it could be a special detail they are working. It's not all a sinister plot. :)

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    As far as I know, Johnson County starts just before you hit County Line, so he would have jurisdiction. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like he was just cutting you a break. I'll look out for that sign next time I head down that way, which should be tomorrow.

I think you had 5 jurisdictions that could of done something there (not counting dnr etc.)

1. Johnson county sheriff
    2. Marion county sheriff
    3. Greenwood police
    4. IMPD
    5. State

blake2981

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenfield
    As a deputy, I do know we write are warning's/tickets where the offense occured. I agree that in a warning it is not a big deal, but we need to be consistent with actions.

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Any and all state commissioned Law Enforcement can make an arrest for any crime or traffic infraction anywhere in the State of Indiana. So quit crying about what you didn't do wrong and consider yourself lucky.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Any and all state commissioned Law Enforcement can make an arrest for any crime or traffic infraction anywhere in the State of Indiana. So quit crying about what you didn't do wrong and consider yourself lucky.
    :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should re-read the whole thread, I don't think he was crying and whining about it. He had a legitimate question and some of us learned something new because of it. I sure didn't know anything about police and deputies having statewide authority before this, did you?

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    As a deputy, I do know we write are warning's/tickets where the offense occured. I agree that in a warning it is not a big deal, but we need to be consistent with actions.

Since your a deputy maybe you can point us to the IC on police and deputies having statewide authority, or is there an IC? I have searched and can't find it mentioned anywhere except for other police forums.:dunno:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Indiana has something called statewide municipal police jurisdiction. Which means all officers and deputies have full police powers in all of Indiana. So it doesn't matter what side you swerved towards or what road you were on he can still write a ticket or arrest you even if he's 5 counties away from his employed county.

OK, so if a Marion County LEO writes a ticket in Johnson County, for example, which county gets the ticket revenue?

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Since your a deputy maybe you can point us to the IC on police and deputies having statewide authority, or is there an IC? I have searched and can't find it mentioned anywhere except for other police forums.:dunno:

There is not IC code for it. Its sworn...Sworn to uphold the laws of the state of Indiana. Lots of people think troopers have the most authority. In actually it would be a town marshal. State law, +local ordinances.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    The state gets most of the money from the UTT. The remainder goes to the court in which the infraction is filed. Up to $3 per ticket can be used for department training...You have to jump through a ton of hoops to get it.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is not IC code for it. Its sworn...Sworn to uphold the laws of the state of Indiana. Lots of people think troopers have the most authority. In actually it would be a town marshal. State law, +local ordinances.
    what if the law being broken is a local law and the officer is out of his jurisdiction? I am thinking about a speeding violation on a county road, or inside a city, where the officer wasn't in that jurisdiction? Those would probably be county or city ordinances, correct? or would it fall under a state code of exceeding a posted speed limit? I just want to understand, as it seems that this is a newer development in the state.

Peashooter?

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    A law enforcement officer in Indiana DOES have statewide jurisdiction. The only catch is the person (s) who are arrested or issued a traffic citation must be cited into the county court in which the violation occured.

Example: If I catch you speeding in Henry county, you must be cited into a Henry county court.

As for the revenue question: The department that issues the citation recieves $3.00, that correct a crappy $3.00. It cost said department almost $1.00 to have the citations printed. The rest of the money goes to the county and state.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    what if the law being broken is a local law and the officer is out of his jurisdiction? I am thinking about a speeding violation on a county road, or inside a city, where the officer wasn't in that jurisdiction? Those would probably be county or city ordinances, correct? or would it fall under a state code of exceeding a posted speed limit? I just want to understand, as it seems that this is a newer development in the state.

Peashooter?

Lets say I work for Johnson County....I have no authority to enforce any Greenwood city ordinances. Cities big enough to have their own court will enact ordinances that mimic state code. So you get a moving violation under the city ordinance...if you want to contest it the city has its own court....and the city gets most of the money. Its not really a cash cow unless the city is big....You cant get a judge to put on a robe for under $80k a year.

When it comes to any type of driving infraction....if it is a local ordinance there is state code that is identical...Penalty may be different tho. If someone deserves a UTT but they have been respectful Ill write them for the $50 ordinance, no points, not driving record......People get nasty $165 bux.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

I always though CO's had the most authority because of how easy it is for them to do a search with no warrant (or so I've always been told, even in Hunter Ed class back in middle school...)

Top Bottom