Got pulled over, informed officer that I was carrying.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    All right, I've got a jurisdiction question. Just a curiosity - I did not get a ticket; this is not a cop bashing thread.

I was driving westbound on County Line Road between Johnson and Marion County heading toward Meridian (SR135). I swerved a little as I picked up something I dropped. I knew I had swerved so that was no issue. I didn't know it was a cop behind me.

Anyway, I turned left heading south onto Meridian (SR135). The officer turned his lights on and pulled me over. I pulled into a parking lot so he didn't have to be in traffic. He came up to the car and did the normal spiel: license and registration. I was open carrying so I told him I have a LTCH and it's on my hip. His response: leave it right where it is. So, I gotta give em props for that. It was just that simple - leave it in the safest spot.

Anyway, he took a while and came back with a warning for "left of center". Never mind that I was actually right of center, swerved a little into the right lane. He wrote on the warning "SR135 at County Line". Now, he pulled me over AS SOON as I got onto 135. The swerving did not happen on 135. It was on County Line. He's a Johnson County Sheriff's deputy.

Does the Johnson County Sheriff's office have jurisdiction on County Line Road? I assume they do not, or he'd have written the warning truthfully.

Anyway, just curious.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    As far as I know, Johnson County starts just before you hit County Line, so he would have jurisdiction. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like he was just cutting you a break. I'll look out for that sign next time I head down that way, which should be tomorrow.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Indiana has something called statewide municipal police jurisdiction. Which means all officers and deputies have full police powers in all of Indiana. So it doesn't matter what side you swerved towards or what road you were on he can still write a ticket or arrest you even if he's 5 counties away from his employed county.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Indiana has something called statewide municipal police jurisdiction. Which means all officers and deputies have full police powers in all of Indiana. So it doesn't matter what side you swerved towards or what road you were on he can still write a ticket or arrest you even if he's 5 counties away from his employed county.

Interesting. I wonder why he wrote the wrong place on the warning.

It's not that big of a deal, and I'm not complaining. He was perfectly reasonable. Just curious.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I learn something new everyday.

Damn, just when I thought I knew EVERYTHING.:laugh:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Since it was a warning he was likely less careful in filling out the form. I highly doubt there was any intent to fill it out in an untruthful manner. Falsifying infraction forms is hardly worth an officers job but I have seen crazier things.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    He was bored, required to have so many "contacts" per month (Not saying they have a quota wink wink), you treated him with respect, he returned the favor. Yawn!

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    or you could say
    They do what they want !

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis

Now this is some useful information here!!!!!

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Interesting. I wonder why he wrote the wrong place on the warning.

It's not that big of a deal, and I'm not complaining. He was perfectly reasonable. Just curious.

I'm glad you were curious, I have always thought their police powers were only good in their county/city. There are 30+ more states that have this also.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    This would explain why the Lizton Town Marshall was out "patroling" I-74 a few years ago.:n00b: He pulled me over on my way home from Crawfordsville and claimed I was doing 85 mph when I had the cruise control set on 65.

I told him he's better get his radar checked, and he didn't push it further and told me to slow down and walked back to his car. Guess he was bored at 9pm on a Christmas night.:rolleyes:

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    "Does the Johnson County Sheriff's office have jurisdiction on County Line Road? I assume they do not, or he'd have written the warning truthfully."

You were on the north side of the road. Marion county LEOs service that side of the road, however like .40caltrucker said "Indiana has something called statewide municipal police jurisdiction"

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010

Just dont confuse the goof balls that work in the City/county Bldg in Indy that have no powers out side the bldg.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

does this also apply to county sheriff offices or only police departments?

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010

Yeap exactly correct. Most states are like this. Its not really to write traffic infractions but to encourage you to act if you witness a misdemeanor.

Also he was probably using E-ticket....You take this little dot and put in on where the infraction occurred (some officers put it on the location of the stop) Its easy to put the dot just a a 1/4 inch over which changes the location

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    does this also apply to county sheriff offices or only police departments?

As far as I can tell it applies to all deputies and city police in the state.

I have found it mentioned in quite a few police forums and other places but I can't find an IC on it.

Kinda weird though I live exactly .5 miles outside of city limits and our city police wont respond to my house, only the sheriffs dept will come out here.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Also, if you drive on county line road you have three opportunities to get stopped.

1. IMPD
    2. Greenwood*
    3. JCSO

*Greenwood loves County Line especially the school zone just west of Shelby St. and County Line.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I would really like to see the code on this. I have seen small town deputies a long way from their city limits running radar. I always wondered how they got away with it. My dad was a city policeman when i was growing up and i disinctly remember when he had to be deputized to assist the sheriff's deputies outside the city limits. They did it over the radio, but he did say that they had to do it.:dunno:

I am wondering if there is code on this or if it is just not been challenged.

PeaShooter

Top Bottom