• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Had some stuff I needed to do this morning but had to wait for one of the places to open so I went into a local gun shop {Red Ghost in Evansville} I took a peek at some of his 10/22s and seen he had a 10/22 sporter at a fair price..Ive been wanting this model rather than the carbine with the bbl band so I bought it:rockwoot: a few of us from here are going to whittakers gun shop Saturday and I had planned on buying a rifle then but didnt want to pass up the sporter and miss my chance of owning one since I rarely see them in stock anywhere. anywho...I topped her off with a 2-7x32 Nikon pro staff with over under rings,some 1.5" sling attachments and a G1 web sling and also have a VQ hammer and spring kit to install. also got 2 spare mags and about 4,000 rnds of ammo{wally world never has .22 ammo anymore but they did this morning so I bought it all} I spent enough money that Ill be in the dog house for awhile but I dont care:dunno: now Im ready to learn how to properly shoot this thing during this years appleseeds!:yesway::ar15:

DSCI0076.jpg

DSCI0081.jpg

DSCI0083.jpg

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    You might want to reconsider those over/under rings. I've taped foam on at least three butt stocks to get folks eyes up high enough to see the scope clearly once they have a proper cheek weld.

If you have a pair of low scope mounts, I would swap for those. Generally, the lower the better.

YHJ

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    You might want to reconsider those over/under rings. I've taped foam on at least three butt stocks to get folks eyes up high enough to see the scope clearly once they have a proper cheek weld.

If you have a pair of low scope mounts, I would swap for those. Generally, the lower the better.

YHJ

agreed. though I wanted the ability to use both iron sights and optics. I have a slip on comb riser that I will be putting on her so I can obtain a proper cheek weld. I have used O/U rings in the past and a couple of the rifles I used them on I had issues when it came time to zero in the scope so I had to opt for a base and lower rings...that may be the case with this rifle when it comes time to zero..if so then I will install a base with some weaver style rings.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    This is just *MY* opinion, but unless your eyes are a hindrance, I would lose the scope, and buy some thing like tech sights or similar.

IMO, you are better off learning to properly use iron sights, and progress to a scope.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Great purchase, I like the sporters and seldom see them at all.
    I don't prefer the see thru rings myself but give them a try, you may have better luck than me. One thing I did notice is that you may have to turn the front ring around so it goes forward and then you would be able to move the scope farther forward. Usually the scopes need to be as far forward as they can be with a 1022 especially with a tall person like yourself.
    Nice sling and swivels too! Talon swivels?

So when are we going to get together and put the trigger in and take out some redcoats? I have an extra Tuffer buffer or 2 laying around here.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Great purchase, I like the sporters and seldom see them at all.
    I don't prefer the see thru rings myself but give them a try, you may have better luck than me. One thing I did notice is that you may have to turn the front ring around so it goes forward and then you would be able to move the scope farther forward. Usually the scopes need to be as far forward as they can be with a 1022 especially with a tall person like yourself.
    Nice sling and swivels too! Talon swivels?

So when are we going to get together and put the trigger in and take out some redcoats? I have an extra Tuffer buffer or 2 laying around here.

I didnt even think about turning the rings around to get the scope to move forward more:n00b:..I bore sighted it a bit ago and realized it could be moved forward a bit. and also it seemed like I had to move the elevation knob down quit a bit...so Im hoping I dont have to much of a problem getting it zeroed,I may end up just buying a scope base and rings next week for it. and yes they are talon swivels,I really like them,they seem to have alot of heft to them. we can get together anytime you want. Im usually free most every Friday and Saturday and half days Sunday. I think I may try to put the trigger in later tonight,Ive watched a couple of videos on how to do it and it doesnt seem to hard...but we shall see :): what do you think the chances are of having another min appleseed in Feb?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    This is just *MY* opinion, but unless your eyes are a hindrance, I would lose the scope, and buy some thing like tech sights or similar.

IMO, you are better off learning to properly use iron sights, and progress to a scope.

I see what your saying. my eyes are horrible,even with my glasses on...and top it off Im color blind,certain colors tend to blend in with their background and it gets worse the further the target is...and of course red and green are one of those colors that do that{the color of the appleseed targets}:): correct me if I am wrong but I think the point of appleseed{the shooting part anyway} is to teach you to become proficient with any rifle/sight combo you may have..mine just happens to be a scoped rifle. they also teach everyone how both scopes and iron sights work and how to properly use them. Im confident that after I learn all there is to learn from appleseed Ill be able to pull that scope off and be just as effective with iron sights.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I see what your saying. my eyes are horrible,even with my glasses on...and top it off Im color blind,certain colors tend to blend in with their background and it gets worse the further the target is...and of course red and green are one of those colors that do that{the color of the appleseed targets}:): correct me if I am wrong but I think the point of appleseed{the shooting part anyway} is to teach you to become proficient with any rifle/sight combo you may have..mine just happens to be a scoped rifle. they also teach everyone how both scopes and iron sights work and how to properly use them. Im confident that after I learn all there is to learn from appleseed Ill be able to pull that scope off and be just as effective with iron sights.

yep we teach the shooter not the rifle. I have poor eyesight myself and after struggling at my first Appleseed with irons. I took a scoped 1022 to my second after practicing at home and scored Rifleman. I have since shot Rifleman scores with a scope and with iron sights both left and right handed. Persistence is the key. Once you have the Rifleman skills you will be surprised at how easy it is to adapt to other sights, rifles and weak side shooting. Scope, irons even red dots it doesn't matter.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I keep looking for the squirrel in that tree.:ar15:

A mini in Feb? I would like to but have a few things going on already. But we could get together and go shoot one weekend if not feb maybe early march.

Thats cool. Im up for just some shooting as well:yesway: hopefully Ill have another rifle in a few weeks..Jclark has a nice lever action 22wmr I wanna snatch up before he gets tired of holding it for me:):

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    oh! and I turned the front ring around...mucho better! the cross hairs are "rite there" every time I shoulder the rifle..I dont have to move my head back or forward to get a clear view. thanks for the tip!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    That is a very nice setup. It is going to serve you well this year! Can't wait to meet you on the trail. :yesway:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Feb 24, 2009
    Picked me up a 10/22 today. Guess I'll start ordering stuff for it Monday.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Picked me up a 10/22 today. Guess I'll start ordering stuff for it Monday.

cool beans!
    Ive pretty much given up on mine..I thought I had it working yesterday but now if I pull the bolt back all the way the trigger wont reset..Ive tried everything from putting the factory springs back in to taking it all apart and reassembling it to make sure everything was ok..everything seems ok and I can now take it apart and put it all back together in about 5min:): I cant figure out why the trigger wont reset:dunno: I need to shoot it to see if this happens when it shot or only when I manually work the bolt...either way it shouldnt do that:noway:

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Drop your trigger group back out, check hammer spring in proper place and ensure trigger resets when you manually cock the hammer (it should). If not you probably have a part installed wrong in the trigger group. :D

If everything works properly then ensure hammer is cocked and reinstall group. Dry fire and cycle bolt - checking for reset.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Drop your trigger group back out, check hammer spring in proper place and ensure trigger resets when you manually cock the hammer (it should). If not you probably have a part installed wrong in the trigger group. :D

If everything works properly then ensure hammer is cocked and reinstall group. Dry fire and cycle bolt - checking for reset.

Ive taken the assembly out atleast a dozen times now..watch every video on the net and studied every "how to" I could find..and it seems I have done everything correctly. when I first took it all apart the trigger and sear fell out on me and that little spring that sits on the sear fell out as well..I had a hard time getting it to stay in place when putting it back it...does this spring have anything to do with trigger reset? think maybe I messed that spring up? Im not sure how I could of but its the only thing I can think of:dunno: Ive also tried to "pre load" the plunger spring behind the trigger,I placed a small BB behind the spring thinking it would help push the trigger forward but that didnt help at all..just made the trigger feel a bit stiffer. the trigger will reset if I manually push the hammer down..but if I push it down past the point where it resets I have to manually reset it..and when I manually work the bolt it seems to push the hammer past that point. I have to pinch the trigger and pull it forward.
    one other thing I might of done wrong...that little "C-clip" that holds the hammer spring on..does that have to go a certain way..is there a top and a bottom to it? if I had that turned wrong would that cause any problems?

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Boy, without looking at it I'm not sure what to tell you, however would suspect a problem in the hammer/hammer spring area. Should be an easy fix though :dunno: Sometimes you can look, look, look & look but not see the problem, then kick yourself afterwards. Don't ask me how I know!

Suggest having Mudcat take a look at it when you guy's get together. There, I volunteered him :rockwoot:

Top Bottom