• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I totally get the desire to have the one can to rule them all (something I wish I had thought of before I got into suppressors, now that I have 5 of them), but you might just want to get a dedicated .22 can if you'll be doing a lot of .22 suppressed. I think you might be happier with the results.
    But five is so much better than one!

I just bought my second. I imagine there will be more in my future as well.

cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky
    Yeah that was a tuffy prior to buying my 1st, kinda wanted a multi cal can than liberty came out with the mystic-x which sounded like a perfect fit. I understand its a 30cal can but the extended it in length for more volume for the smaller calibers like the 22. I talked to them again yesterday and he claimed it should be quieter than what I'm getting so who knows.
    He wants me to send it in so they can check it out but if im getting what's expected I don't wanna waste anyone's time..

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Yeah that was a tuffy prior to buying my 1st, kinda wanted a multi cal can than liberty came out with the mystic-x which sounded like a perfect fit. I understand its a 30cal can but the extended it in length for more volume for the smaller calibers like the 22. I talked to them again yesterday and he claimed it should be quieter than what I'm getting so who knows.
    He wants me to send it in so they can check it out but if im getting what's expected I don't wanna waste anyone's time..

It's not a .30 cal can though. Most .30 cal cans have a bore diameter of approx .311". The Mystic-X is rated for .38 special which has a bullet diameter of .356" so the bore diameter of the Mystic-X is prob around .362". The problem with the Mystic-X is that they tried to make a do-all can that just has such a large bore diameter.

People complain about YHM cans because of they have a relatively large bore diameter for a .30 cal can. Granted it's only .318" but they say that's why they are slightly louder. I can't imagine how much they'd complain if it had the same bore diameter as the Mystic-X.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've not had any standard velocity .22lr go supersonic out of my rifles.

You must not be shooting much standard velocity .22 then. A very large portion of the .22lr standard-velocity market share has a muzzle velocity of 1100-1250 fps from a 16" barrel.

I shoot Federal bulk packs because they are closer to 1100. With my 10.5" .22lr AR barrel they go super-sonic 99% of the time, with my 5.5" Ruger 22/45 they go super-sonic ~30% of the time. I'm thinking about cutting my barrel back to keep them all sub-sonic...

Also of note, the speed of sound varies with atmospheric conditions (temperature is the main player) so there isn't a defined cut-off. You can also get a louder report without having the ammo go fully super-sonic; if the velocity is near the speed of sound (transonic) then you will still get a louder report, but not a full sonic crack.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You must not be shooting much standard velocity .22 then. A very large portion of the .22lr standard-velocity market share has a muzzle velocity of 1100-1250 fps from a 16" barrel.

I shoot Federal bulk packs because they are closer to 1100. With my 10.5" .22lr AR barrel they go super-sonic 99% of the time, with my 5.5" Ruger 22/45 they go super-sonic ~30% of the time. I'm thinking about cutting my barrel back to keep them all sub-sonic...

Also of note, the speed of sound varies with atmospheric conditions (temperature is the main player) so there isn't a defined cut-off. You can also get a louder report without having the ammo go fully super-sonic; if the velocity is near the speed of sound (transonic) then you will still get a louder report, but not a full sonic crack.
    What standard velocity are you shooting? CCI is listed as 1070fps. Aguila is 1085fps. I also use Remington Subsonic a lot, which is listed as 1050fps. Neither goes supersonic out of a rifle. I have fired thousands of rounds of CCI and Remington and never had a supersonic rd.

For comparison, the two bulk boxes I have on hand are
    Federal bulk 36gr is 1260fps
    CCI Blazer is 1235fps
    These are always supersonic out of a rifle, but do not go supersonic out of a pistol.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I like the CCI SV in my 10/22. I think most ammo <1100 fps is pretty quiet when suppressed. I made the mistake of buying a brick of CCI Quiet, which is listd at 710 fps. It is rediculously quiet, but won't cycle my 10/22, even with reduced power springs - guess I'll have to buy a FVSR!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I like the CCI SV in my 10/22. I think most ammo <1100 fps is pretty quiet when suppressed. I made the mistake of buying a brick of CCI Quiet, which is listd at 710 fps. It is rediculously quiet, but won't cycle my 10/22, even with reduced power springs - guess I'll have to buy a FVSR!
    I haven't seen quiet cycle any semi-auto. The thing is, it isn't really designed to be used with a suppressor. It is quiet without one. I use it for my granddaughters with their cricket and they don't need hearing protection.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What standard velocity are you shooting? CCI is listed as 1070fps. Aguila is 1085fps. I also use Remington Subsonic a lot, which is listed as 1050fps. Neither goes supersonic out of a rifle. I have fired thousands of rounds of CCI and Remington and never had a supersonic rd.

For comparison, the two bulk boxes I have on hand are
    Federal bulk 36gr is 1260fps
    CCI Blazer is 1235fps
    These are always supersonic out of a rifle, but do not go supersonic out of a pistol.
    Maybe we're having a little confusion on terms. I was under the impression that we were discussing standard bulk packaged rounds that are not listed as high velocity etc. Federal Bulk packs are my main ammo but IIRC Winchester and Remington bulk packs are in the same ball-park for velocity.

Top Bottom