• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Strange question, but does anyone raise goats?

If so, would you be willing to sell a couple? Three, maybe four? Buddy and I are looking to put on a trauma management class for EMS folks, and we'll be needing a couple goats to kill for some skills practice.

Breed of goat is not important, and if you want the meat after we kill it, you can have it.

PM replies are fine.

Gracias.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I raise hogs, cattle, and sheep. There is a livestock processer locally that sells about 500 goats a week. Brewer Livestock phone number 812-873-7494. He is located in North Vernon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    When I was a kid our family raised goats and had around 10-20 most of the times. That has been a long time oh but I have recently thought about getting a few to clear some of our woods. I know at auctions they have been going for around $75-120 a head lately.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just curious, how do you plan to kill the goats?
    I'm going to guess by giving them a "wound" that needs to be treated... maybe an arterial bleed for tourniquet application, or deep laceration for combat-dressing type application. It is a fairly standard thing to use living animals to give a real, life-like medical training (life saving) oppurtunity. We watched videos of it being done for our medical training at work.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    I'm going to guess by giving them a "wound" that needs to be treated... maybe an arterial bleed for tourniquet application, or deep laceration for combat-dressing type application. It is a fairly standard thing to use living animals to give a real, life-like medical training (life saving) oppurtunity. We watched videos of it being done for our medical training at work.

Actually, we just pop 'em in the brain with a 9mm. Quick and (relatively) painless. Also makes for some "nice" airway trauma that the students get to deal with. :)

Doing what you mention requires that the goats be sedated, put under anesthesia, have all sorts of monitoring, a vet on-site, and a ton of other regulations. If we just kill 'em outright we don't have to deal with all that stuff.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Being a 1st Responder and then a EMT for almost 15 years I can honestly say I've never heard of using goats for a trauma management class....Almost sounds like we are in Kentucky

Top Bottom