• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I was thinking about getting one of these as a SHTF pack knife. Any idea on the difference between AUS 6 and AUS 8. The Seal Pup has the Aus 6 while the elite has Aus 8. Will i have to sharpen AUS 6 all the time?

Currently there are 4 different models of the Seal Pup.
    1. Aus-6A stainless gray powder coated blade. Sog #37037 & 99148 the only difference between these..is the sheath..Nylon or Kydex.
    2. Aus-6A stainless tiger stripe powder coated blade. Sog #99046 (MOLLE Nylon sheath).
    3. Aus-8A stainless tiger stripe powder coated blade. Sog #99149 (Kydex sheath).

Currently there are 8 different Seal Pup Elite models that all use Aus-8A stainless for the blades. The only difference between the 8 models is the blade finish and sheath options.

Aus-6A and Aus-8A are considered Japanese stainless steels, roughly comparable in carbon content to 440A (AUS-6, .65% carbon) and 440B (AUS-8, .75% carbon). Both Aus-6A and Aus-8A steels have some vanadium added (which the 440 series lacks), which will improve wear resistance and refines the grain for both good toughness, and the ability to sharpen to a very keen edge.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I carry my in a home made Merc-Harness and it is a great knife for cc, along with being able to hold its own in the field, I just wish my Pup Eliet was Seki Made not Taiwanese.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Just received a SOG Seal Pup made in Seki, Japan from eBay. The included nylon sheath is not the best quality but I understand you can get a better kydex sheath made by SOG for it.

I have not used the knife yet, but it feels well balanced and appears well made.

Thanks INGOers, this thread helped me to find the right knife. :yesway:

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, make sure you get the Kydex sheath with the slot for making cuts without unsheathing the knife, you can carry it anyway you like it and there is no way you are going to loose it.

Top Bottom