• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Its an Ithaca Model 37 SE. Came with the shot and the slug barrel, with a parkerized factory finish. Bought it brand spanking new in 2004 from Gander Mountain, and was told it was a Gander Mountain Exclusive. Sweetest shotgun I have ever had the pleasure of firing.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Tomorrow we are gonna take my Ruger P95 to an indoor range for some target practice, be on the lookout for more pics tomorrow. I hope a 9mm is not to much to start her out with in a handgun.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    After she threw like 70 targets for me, I asked her if she wanted me to throw some for her. She declined having remembered how her shoulder felt after the last time I threw clays for her. But she did opt for some photos of her posing to be taken.

IMG_0653.jpg

So go get her a Mossberg Youth 20GA. From the looks of this pic it would help a bunch. Or even a pump or single shot .410?

Take her with you to see what fits.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    So go get her a Mossberg Youth 20GA. From the looks of this pic it would help a bunch. Or even a pump or single shot .410?

Take her with you to see what fits.

Well, as long as we're quoting photos. I think the rest of them deserve to be quoted on this page, too. Why should we always have to go back to the first page to see the pics, right? :D

Oh, and PS... on a serious note, why did you say that the youth model would help her a bunch?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Length of pull.

Part of the reason it hurts her shoulder is because it's too long in the stock and she can't shoulder the gun properly. If the photo is any indication the recoil is hitting her in the upper arm or right on the ball and socket, not in the "pocket".

Part of the reason is balance. If the gun is too long, you will have to lean back to counteract the long lever. You can't control the recoil of a shotgun if your leaning back to hold it up. You just have to stand there and let it hit you.

Part of the reason is that, target loads aside, a 12GA has a lot of recoil. A 20GA has 80-90% of the performance, but only 1/2 -2/3 of the recoil.

Also, you can't tell from the pic, but she probably needs to widen her stance, left foot forward, weight forward.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Length of pull.

Part of the reason it hurts her shoulder is because it's too long in the stock and she can't shoulder the gun properly. If the photo is any indication the recoil is hitting her in the upper arm or right on the ball and socket, not in the "pocket".

Part of the reason is balance. If the gun is too long, you will have to lean back to counteract the long lever. You can't control the recoil of a shotgun if your leaning back to hold it up. You just have to stand there and let it hit you.

Part of the reason is that, target loads aside, a 12GA has a lot of recoil. A 20GA has 80-90% of the performance, but only 1/2 -2/3 of the recoil.

Also, you can't tell from the pic, but she probably needs to widen her stance, left foot forward, weight forward.

Ohhhhh gotcha, yeah I see what you mean now. Cool. Learn something every day.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Length of pull.

The local Gander Mountain has a used New England Firearms single shot break open 20 gauge for like 135. Think that would be worth letting her look at? Maybe if i put a Limbsaver Recoil Pad on it?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You'll probably will have to cut the stock down to fit too. Sometimes it still doesn't work due to too much drop at the comb. (With a good cheek weld she should be able to look right down the top of the barrel. If you have to hold your head up off the comb to see down the barrel you'll have a hard time hitting anything. If the stock is too long it might be hard to tell if the comb is high enough for her. Also check what choke the barrel is. Full choke is not very practical for clay pigeons.

New price is $129 on GB. 72098 H&R SB1-20 Pardner 20 Gauge 26" BBL Wood : Single Shot at GunBroker.com

I doubt you can dicker at GM, but you might offer $100 and see what they say.

Last time I looked GM had the Mossberg Bantam Youth 20 GA also. Don't remember the price.

Here's a used one: Mossberg Model 500 Bantam Youth Model 20 gauge : Pump at GunBroker.com

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    yeah gander doesn't budge on there prices. but i did see a pink remington 870 pump that appeared to be a youth model. I think she will love that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom