• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Skype is pretty decent VoIP on the cheap. For about $60/year, you can get both inbound and outbound calling anywhere in North America, and really cheap rates to EU.

GVoice is nice for me because I have several phones (work, home, cell, work cell) and I can just hand out one number to everyone, setting up ringing hunt-groups depending on who's calling (if it's a work number calling, it won't ring home, for example).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the help guys. I read some bad voodoo about MagicJack so I am leery, although at this hour I cannot remember what the complaint was.

Skype is an option I didn't really consider but my in-laws have been bugging me to get it set up to webcam, so maybe I will go that route and drink their kool-aid.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Skype is pretty decent VoIP on the cheap. For about $60/year, you can get both inbound and outbound calling anywhere in North America, and really cheap rates to EU.

GVoice is nice for me because I have several phones (work, home, cell, work cell) and I can just hand out one number to everyone, setting up ringing hunt-groups depending on who's calling (if it's a work number calling, it won't ring home, for example).

and if it's his wife, he can set it up so that it won't ring at all so he can honestly say he didn't get the call. :)

+1 for skype too. I use it when I need to make long distance calls from my home office. I hate talking on my cell phone and I get decent reception on skype.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Magic Jack? Not the same, but it's cheap.
    Magic jack is cheap because they monitor all your surfing activity and try to target you for advertising. (Ok if you don't care about your privacy)

I like Google voice because my family can make free long distance phone calls on my local only phone connection. My kids can call my local google number from school in the office and get my company cell phone which is long distance. I also use it working from home when calling customers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So it appears that with Skype there is no cheap way to plug in a stand-alone phone. I was hoping there was a USB to RJ11 adapter and bada bing bada boom I'd be in business. I read a review on one such device, but it still required a land line dial tone, at which point you'd initiate skype for your long distance calls, etc.

Again, my point is to have dirt cheap home phone, but having to use a headset through the computer won't work. I need to be able to plug in a standard, run of the mill phone. I don't mind the USB cordless phones but they start at $150, which sorta defeats the whole point.

Suggestions?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes sir. Vonage looks like the best option now. Plan is $10 a month, turns out to be 16.11 after taxes, round number $200 a year. That's not a problem, but I'd rather not sign a one year contract, I'd like to try it for a month or two before I commit. Looking for other VOIP as we speak, Qwest is the same price per month. I don't recognize any of the other carriers. My google-fu is a bit weak tonight.

So, Vonage is $200 a year with a 1 year commitment, or $150 for a phone that will work with Skype but has "free" service.

Top Bottom