• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    the best Italian in town now is called piloni's. North Lafayette, near fort Harrison, run by a guy who was trained by pino before he died.

I've been busy all day and just saw this, but I can give you recommendations for next time. I'd pass on most of the recommendations in this thread. Rick's is pretty good. Umi is great if you like sushi. Piloni's for Italian. Just say NO to chains.

Pass on Square Donuts? SQUARE DONUTS???

PHILISTINE!!

​rhino out!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Man, we were in that place so long I got a hunger migraine. I went to the hotel and went to sleep. I just woke up and went to Steak 'n Shake and Speedway for aspirin. Note to Rose-Hulman, put out some smacks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Man, we were in that place so long I got a hunger migraine. I went to the hotel and went to sleep. I just woke up and went to Steak 'n Shake and Speedway for aspirin. Note to Rose-Hulman, put out some smacks!

In their defense, R-HIT has come a long way in terms of food since they went coed.

In the mid 1980s, the food was incredibly bad. Boys eat more when there are no girls around, so the contractor didn't try very hard. I remember when my parents came to visit on parents day. The dining hall put out the absolute best they could manage. Even my father, who will eat literally anything and thinks complaining about anything except the price is a sign of weakness, actually said it was horrible.

It's not so bad now, if they actually serve you something that is. Heh.

​rhino out!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If you like sushi, the Umi Grill is the place to go. Best sushi within 100 miles, maybe more.

Moggers at 9th and Poplar is built in part of the old TerreHaute Brewery building. This place has tons of character. The entire building is just something to see. Lots of old brewing stuff, just a cool old place. The food is good as well. Im a big fan of their jalapeno straws and the buffalo chicken sandwich, but their beer selection is what many go for. One heck of a lot of different beers and a ton of micro brews.

Across the street from Moggers is Stables, which is a more upscale steak place, and pretty darn good. expensive.

J. Fords Black angus is top notch, excellent food, and probably one of the best places in town, but the price also reflects that. Its on 3rd street (main drag)

Homeys - best BBQ in town. Ricks is OK, but pricey. Ricks is a nicer place to go eat, but Homey's Q is just better food IMO.

Twiggys which features Sweet Lou's pizza. good pizza and its just down the street from Rose.

About all of the mexican places are good, and almost all owned by the same people it seems.

J Gumbos is pretty good. Its a chain, but a smaller chain. Cajun-ish food on like 6th and wabash.

Wise Pies, new york-ish style pizza, served by the slice. Love the white pizza, but everything I've had is good. Its like 5th and wabash.

Green Acres is good. Its a saturday afternoon type place. You know take a drive and get some ice cream. North end, very near me in fact.

Fifi's Lunch Box - one of my new favorite places in town. Pretty new, but good food, and BACON! They make/package/sell their own applewood smoked bacon, and its some of the best I've had. They also make multiple items with the bacon IN them, ie cookies, muffins, coffes, etc. All awesome! They are only open Tues -> Friday, 7 -> 2, but if your around and like bacon ;)

Pinos, pretty good, but pricey Italian. South 7th st.

Pilonis - very good, and very reasonable priced italian. North end on Lafayette. Used to be called Carosis, but was bought out by a chef from Pino's and the food is awesome.

The Bush near 13th and Locust has great cod fish and tenderloins.

Park Ave Diner on Park Ave in the north end is run by the daughter of the owner of 'The Bush', so they also have great fish and tenderloins, but their burgers are great as well.

Gerhardts Beirstube is a great german place owned by a german guy and his VERY german wife :) EXCELLENT food if you like all things german.

My favorite chinese place is China Wok in the north end. (NOT a buffet)

Here is a website with some places Ive yet to visit: Dr. Thom's Groovy Homepage of Peace, Love and Yogurt

Heading east on US-40 towards Brazil, IN is another great pizza place: Sweet Lou's. Great pizza and a pretty decent sports bar. They have good calzones as well.

In Brazil, IN is a place called Eddie's Sandwich Shop. They are famous for their 'slider' type burgers. They are bigger than a which castle, and more like a traditional hamburger. Very good burger, but very small building ;) Been in business since 1931 and worth the trip if your in the area!

Im sure there is more, but this is off the top of my head.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

That's what Rose was for me - a 4 year migraine. But I made it through.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Head back to indy on US 40 and stop at Kleptz's in Seelyville, about 5 miles east of Rose Hulmsn, awesome tenderloins.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you like sushi, the Umi Grill is the place to go. Best sushi within 100 miles, maybe more.

Moggers at 9th and Poplar is built in part of the old TerreHaute Brewery building. This place has tons of character. The entire building is just something to see. Lots of old brewing stuff, just a cool old place. The food is good as well. Im a big fan of their jalapeno straws and the buffalo chicken sandwich, but their beer selection is what many go for. One heck of a lot of different beers and a ton of micro brews.

Across the street from Moggers is Stables, which is a more upscale steak place, and pretty darn good. expensive.

J. Fords Black angus is top notch, excellent food, and probably one of the best places in town, but the price also reflects that. Its on 3rd street (main drag)

Homeys - best BBQ in town. Ricks is OK, but pricey. Ricks is a nicer place to go eat, but Homey's Q is just better food IMO.

Twiggys which features Sweet Lou's pizza. good pizza and its just down the street from Rose.

About all of the mexican places are good, and almost all owned by the same people it seems.

J Gumbos is pretty good. Its a chain, but a smaller chain. Cajun-ish food on like 6th and wabash.

Wise Pies, new york-ish style pizza, served by the slice. Love the white pizza, but everything I've had is good. Its like 5th and wabash.

Green Acres is good. Its a saturday afternoon type place. You know take a drive and get some ice cream. North end, very near me in fact.

Fifi's Lunch Box - one of my new favorite places in town. Pretty new, but good food, and BACON! They make/package/sell their own applewood smoked bacon, and its some of the best I've had. They also make multiple items with the bacon IN them, ie cookies, muffins, coffes, etc. All awesome! They are only open Tues -> Friday, 7 -> 2, but if your around and like bacon ;)

Pinos, pretty good, but pricey Italian. South 7th st.

Pilonis - very good, and very reasonable priced italian. North end on Lafayette. Used to be called Carosis, but was bought out by a chef from Pino's and the food is awesome.

The Bush near 13th and Locust has great cod fish and tenderloins.

Park Ave Diner on Park Ave in the north end is run by the daughter of the owner of 'The Bush', so they also have great fish and tenderloins, but their burgers are great as well.

Gerhardts Beirstube is a great german place owned by a german guy and his VERY german wife :) EXCELLENT food if you like all things german.

My favorite chinese place is China Wok in the north end. (NOT a buffet)

Here is a website with some places Ive yet to visit: Dr. Thom's Groovy Homepage of Peace, Love and Yogurt

Heading east on US-40 towards Brazil, IN is another great pizza place: Sweet Lou's. Great pizza and a pretty decent sports bar. They have good calzones as well.

In Brazil, IN is a place called Eddie's Sandwich Shop. They are famous for their 'slider' type burgers. They are bigger than a which castle, and more like a traditional hamburger. Very good burger, but very small building ;) Been in business since 1931 and worth the trip if your in the area!

Im sure there is more, but this is off the top of my head.

i mostly second clay's list. I don't like wise pies (chick pizza -- good crust, but give me some toppings!), and I think the Chinese place in the meadows mall is the best in town by a mile. On Mexican, agree, but my favorite is the one that's NOT owned by the same group -- the one on south 41 by top guns, which also gives it a location edge. Stables: too hit and miss for me. Sometimes pretty good, sometimes not good at all. Terre Haute is loaded with chain places , but there's no reason to go to them with the possible exception of gumbo's and ritter's.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

If you're looking for an amazingly delicious pizza full of greasy pork goodness, I suggest the meat-lovers... Twiggy's is a must-hit place for my wife (ISU) and I (Rose) when we go back for Rose homecoming... It's just a couple miles from Rose and it a great little place.

Note: Last time I was there it was cheaper to order the "meat-lovers" pizza as a 3 or 4 topping (forget which) and add all the meats as individual toppings... only saves $.50 or something like that but it bugs me that they price it that way so I order it the cheaper way...

Also suggest Sonka's (the Irish bar right on Wabash).. on Saturdays for lunch "Burger & a Brew" is a good one. You get a large burger, fries, and a brew for a reasonable price and you get to keep the glass. Note: if you don't like the glass you get they will sometimes let you pick out a different one from their selection.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Also suggest Sonka's (the Irish bar right on Wabash).. on Saturdays for lunch "Burger & a Brew" is a good one. You get a large burger, fries, and a brew for a reasonable price and you get to keep the glass. Note: if you don't like the glass you get they will sometimes let you pick out a different one from their selection.

Ahh...Sonka's! How could I forget? Very good sandwiches; nothing fancy, just served with bagged potato chips, but good, filling and cheap. And back in the day it was one of the very few places in TH to get any kind of beer other than Bud/Miller/Coors. I spent a significant amount of time and money in Sonka's.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    i mostly second clay's list. I don't like wise pies (chick pizza -- good crust, but give me some toppings!), and I think the Chinese place in the meadows mall is the best in town by a mile. On Mexican, agree, but my favorite is the one that's NOT owned by the same group -- the one on south 41 by top guns, which also gives it a location edge. Stables: too hit and miss for me. Sometimes pretty good, sometimes not good at all. Terre Haute is loaded with chain places , but there's no reason to go to them with the possible exception of gumbo's and ritter's.

Yeah the Chinese place in meadows (Royal Mandarin) is good, BUT their lo mein and fried rice SUCK, which knocks them a notch below China Wok. I also agree on the mexican, thats Los Tres Caminos (the place by top guns) is awesome. I think its a tie between them and the Real Hacienda on Wabash @ Lafayette.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ahh...Sonka's! How could I forget? Very good sandwiches; nothing fancy, just served with bagged potato chips, but good, filling and cheap. And back in the day it was one of the very few places in TH to get any kind of beer other than Bud/Miller/Coors. I spent a significant amount of time and money in Sonka's.

Yeah, how could I forget as well! And they don't use bagged chips anymore, they make their own and they are awesome! Usually go there on Friday's for lunch, and usually get fish, but their other sandwiches are good and the irish nachos are great as well!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Terre Haute is loaded with chain places , but there's no reason to go to them with the possible exception of gumbo's and ritter's.

No reason? NO REASON??? I submit to you: Endless Shrimp at Red Lobster in the fall. No reason!!!! Hmph!

Yeah, how could I forget as well! And they don't use bagged chips anymore, they make their own and they are awesome! Usually go there on Friday's for lunch, and usually get fish, but their other sandwiches are good and the irish nachos are great as well!

That place was always full of ATOs when I lived down there. I've never been there. I didn't even know they served food. Of course, this was back in 1983-1987, so maybe they didn't back then!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yeah and all their ato crap still hangs in there ;). To be honest I never went in there until probably a year ago. I wasn't a beer drinker and that's all they have (alcohol wise). But ive been there a few times now and I love it. Great food, and I've found a couple beers I can drink.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah and all their ato crap still hangs in there ;). To be honest I never in there until probably a year ago. I wasn't a beer drinker and that's all they have. But ive been there a few times now and I love it. Great food, and I've found a couple beers I can drink

Okay, I'll give it a try. I'm always ready for a good burger.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That place was always full of ATOs when I lived down there. I've never been there. I didn't even know they served food. Of course, this was back in 1983-1987, so maybe they didn't back then!
    ATO's Delta-Sig's and PKA's do frequent the joint but it's a college town... that's to be expected... But it isn't a rowdy bar like many of the others. Typically the rowdy guys are somewhere else and the calmer college drinkers frequent Sonka's for a peaceful brew.

Yeah and all their ato crap still hangs in there ;). To be honest I never went in there until probably a year ago. I wasn't a beer drinker and that's all they have (alcohol wise). But ive been there a few times now and I love it. Great food, and I've found a couple beers I can drink.

If you aren't a beer guy they have other things. The Strongbow Hard Cider is good. They also have a Belgian? Raspberry beer that tastes nothing like beer (but it's a bit pricey and only available in bottle form).

Top Bottom