• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I don't thing I've ever seen the yellow faced wasps before?

Appears to be northern paper wasps, aka, regular old assholes.

I've seen wasps in all shades and colors and the behaviors all seem to be the same. They all die the same.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Same here. Wife is very allergic and we have had the paper wasps and their a-hole cousin.. the black/brown around the house very bad this year. I got stung 3 times on the calf mowing the other day.. still hurts!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    THESE are the good ones. Cicada Killer. Will scare the CRAP out of you. But they are harmless to humans and wont sting you. They burrow in the ground and LOVE gaps between landscape blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Appears to be northern paper wasps, aka, regular old assholes.

I've seen wasps in all shades and colors and the behaviors all seem to be the same. They all die the same.
    Usually the paper wasps aren't really aggressive. Not to say they won't sting you if you happen to trap one accidentally, but they won't go after you like the yellowjackets. Those are the real a-holes! I've had them chase me all across my yard before.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Usually the paper wasps aren't really aggressive. Not to say they won't sting you if you happen to trap one accidentally, but they won't go after you like the yellowjackets. Those are the real a-holes! I've had them chase me all across my yard before.

I've gone to the ER because of a wasp before. They all die if I see them.

I admit to being a speciesist(?) on this one. :laugh:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I am not a bug ID expert. I have seen wasps of some type killing cabbage worms or other caterpillars in the garden, so if they aren't around my doors or otherwise bother me, I leave them alone.
    That is my plan of attack also.. I've become more, live and let live as I've aged. PS Carb cleaner works great without the flamethrower option although if they are in an open area the fire can be strangely rewarding.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I had a neighbor came over friday I don’t use the front door much when I opened it up he was standing in the front yard . He just wanted to let me know that they were going out for weekend and to watch the house . and by the way you have a big wasp nest on your porch. So I waited till dark and evicted them I was stung last year and I’m not messing around anymore! Every year they pick a different corner of the house.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Well I don't blame you for that! I'm not allergic, but damn those yellowjacket stings HURT, and I'm very much anti-pain! :):

A sting takes me out of the game for at least 3 days. My entire limb will swell up to about double size and the amount of benedryl to keep it under control knocks me out solid. That's from a single sting. I've never been hit with multiples.

The ER visit was a sting in the neck. No one was sure if my neck would swell up and close my airway. It didn't, but I can tell you what a fun time it is sitting in an ER and wondering if someone is about to slit your throat...

The last sting I got was on the big toe of my right foot. Being the furthest extremity from my heart, the swelling wasn't horrible, but it took months to fully heal and I still have a scar some 5 years later.

With wasps, I kill at will. Best I've done in one day is several thousand. You'd think I'd have a reputation by now and they'd leave me alone, but noooo....

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Damn max, then I'd say your response is perfectly justified! Wow, that would suck!

It did... Fast forward 20 years and I buy a house next to the crazy old cat lady (not exaggerating) whose house smelled so bad as time went on that I could actually smell it from my driveway. It was like yellowjacket vacation destination. They built nests in the walls of her house, and eventually also mine. Just... I can't win. :facepalm:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It did... Fast forward 20 years and I buy a house next to the crazy old cat lady (not exaggerating) whose house smelled so bad as time went on that I could actually smell it from my driveway. It was like yellowjacket vacation destination. They built nests in the walls of her house, and eventually also mine. Just... I can't win. :facepalm:
    I was trying (without success) to find a clip from the movie "Modern Problems" where Nell Carter's character told Chevy Chase's character while she was trying to perform some kind of exorcism, "Oh, you done pissed off the demon!" :):

Top Bottom