Good night for us... Bad night for them... (Graphic Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Got these two last night. We tried a new bait mix and despite 30-50 mph winds, had the first one down by 8:55 and the second down by 10:05. The one in the back weighed just over 300 and the one up front was 225.
    pigsanddan.jpg

The rifles are a Savage 110 in 7mm rem mag with vortex crossfire 6-24x50, and a 50 Beowulf (mixed manufactures) with Millet red dot.
    cutters.jpg

The big guy had around 3" cutters on his left side but they were broken on the right side.
    heart.jpg

The heart pic is from the 7mm with 154gr Hornady SST at around 3000fps.
    hangingpigs.jpg

We had a late night looking for the one shot with the Beowulf. It left absolutely no blood due to slow expansion and no exit. It did fragment and destroyed the lungs (completely missed the heart, bad shot by my buddy.)

Now its time for a hog roast this week!!

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thats tillman county Oklahoma. Sorry about that! I'm pretty sure we do have some feral hogs in Indiana though. I'll see what I can do about them when I get home...

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Hog hunting....AWESOME!!! I'm hoping to do some pig blasting soon. I'm going to test some .458 SOCOM loads on bacon. Would love to go in Indiana...but if not, might go south to Tennessee.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nope, they are not into Indiana. If you see one you are allowed to shoot it and should report it to DNR as they are not native to the area. With that being said, they do seem like they would be fun to hunt. :ar15:

Feral hogs are not native to anywhere in the US but their populations have expanded rapidly in the south since introduction. According to Purdue University's Wildlife Coflicts Information Website, they have been in Indiana since the 90's.

Since they are not native there are no regulations or closed seasons on them in most states. Here in OK, they say that if you see a group and shoot one, you must then continue shooting until you kill the whole group!!

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The worst part about it was yesterday when I was loading them in the freezer at my buddy's house. He has an upright freezer in his garage and I had to load them by myself in there (he was at his kids' soccer game.) While I was putting the "body bags" in, there was someone looking at his neighbor's house that's for sale. They had to think that a crazy, blood covered guy was putting bodies in a freezer. I had to duct-tape the door shut till my buddy got home to help me re-arrange.

I doubt the people are gonna put an offer in on the neighbor's house.... Sorry about that!!

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    The worst part about it was yesterday when I was loading them in the freezer at my buddy's house. He has an upright freezer in his garage and I had to load them by myself in there (he was at his kids' soccer game.) While I was putting the "body bags" in, there was someone looking at his neighbor's house that's for sale. They had to think that a crazy, blood covered guy was putting bodies in a freezer. I had to duct-tape the door shut till my buddy got home to help me re-arrange.

I doubt the people are gonna put an offer in on the neighbor's house.... Sorry about that!!

That's really funny... :D Nice hogs...

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How does wild hog meat compare to domestic? Can you tell any difference?

Based on the ones I have had, it is a little different but not much. It is much leaner. The fat is not like domestic pig fat and should be trimmed as much as possible. The pork chops and roasts are the most similar of the cuts I have found. Ham is difficult to keep moist but still good. I will be roasting one whole for the first time on Wednesday and will update with the results.
    Some people have had bad experiences with larger boars (much like an older buck) but I have not. All but one or two that I have eaten have been well over 200lbs and have been delicious.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nice shooting. I did not know we had wild piggly wigglys here in Indiana.

Fort Sill is in Oklahoma and I am guessing this is where our friend is.

Our fellow INGOer is likely TDY because of schooling. Artillery, air defence, or O-3 skulin' are all legit guesses.:D

Nice animals, sir, good hunting. Good to see Lafayette residents helping to conserve the environment . . . via gunfire.:ingo:

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Fort Sill is in Oklahoma and I am guessing this is where our friend is.

Our fellow INGOer is likely TDY because of schooling. Artillery, air defence, or O-3 skulin' are all legit guesses.:D

Nice animals, sir, good hunting. Good to see Lafayette residents helping to conserve the environment . . . via gunfire.:ingo:

That's correct. I'm out here for the Field Artillery Captains Career Course. I have been out here for over 6 months and only have a week left! I will be happy to get back to green grass and trees even if it is cold. I will miss hog huntin' but look forward to Indiana deer!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That's correct. I'm out here for the Field Artillery Captains Career Course. I have been out here for over 6 months and only have a week left! I will be happy to get back to green grass and trees even if it is cold. I will miss hog huntin' but look forward to Indiana deer!

Good luck wrapping up your school and thanks for posting the pics! I really want to go hog hunting. My family crest features a hog and a spear, so I think it's only right that I keep the family tradition.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom