• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This eve (Thursday Aug 9) about 10:30 pm I got a call from my daughter saying her car died driving through about a foot of water in a rainstorm on the south side of Indy near Fountain sq. There she was in the middle of the street near Shelby and Morris. She said 2 squad cars ignored her waving for help and a third fire safety vehicle did the same. None of the vehicles had lights or sirens going. She thinks that because of the downpour they didn't want to get wet. I know that a few LEO's read this group. Come on guys. I'd like to know that in a pinch I can count on you guys offering more than traffic tickets. Especially to a young female in a spotty neighborhood. What have you to say for yourselves and to my daughter??
    There's no law against doing something stupid (driving through a flooded street), but if there was would they have stopped to write a citation?

I don't work that district so I can't tell you why they didn't stop. I'm sure there are any number of reasons, including the fact that they didn't want to get wet. Not being there or knowing what circumstances were involved, I'm not going to ASSume.

There is no question it is because they didn't want to get wet.

Shame on them. The good ones stop...You probably won't get too many responses here, because most of the LEO on this site would have at least pulled up behind your daughter and turned on their lights. I thought that was part of their job, but I could be wrong.

Really Benny? You know for a fact they didn't want to get wet, or are you just wanting to pile on?

They were IMPD... 'nuf said.

For someone who has 666 in their username I don't think you have much reason to say who is good or bad.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I saw a guy yesterday driving down Morris on the rim. No tire just a rim. He drove right past an IMPD car. The officer pulled into Manns grill, got out of the car and went inside.

I feel that he should have been stopped ticketed, and his truck towed away.

I work that district (but Mann's grill is nasty so it wasn't me going in), and if I stopped every vehicle with an equipment violation I wouldn't have any time to answer calls for service.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I saw a guy yesterday driving down Morris on the rim. No tire just a rim. He drove right past an IMPD car. The officer pulled into Manns grill, got out of the car and went inside.

Maybe he knew jamming the guy up over a tire wouldn't help. :dunno:

I feel that he should have been stopped ticketed, and his truck towed away.

So the guy that is already having a **** day and needs to pay for a new tire
    also needs to pay the state a ticket tax and pay the impound lot for towing.
    Yep, that will help.
    :n00b:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Maybe he knew jamming the guy up over a tire wouldn't help. :dunno:

So the guy that is already having a **** day and needs to pay for a new tire
    also needs to pay the state a ticket tax and pay the impound lot for towing.
    Yep, that will help.
    :n00b:

Of course then again it would've been a chance for the guy to then come on iNGO and ***** about all cops :rolleyes:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    She was soaking wet and standing in ankle deep water while trying to flag down someone. What an LEO could do would be to help her be safe on the road by deploying behind her with lights and maybe helping her to push the Scion off the road. Instead, a young woman from a bar nearby (The Brass Ring) saw her plight and ran out to help her. The guys she was with felt shamed and helped as well. Yea sisterhood!!
    BTW, A mechanic friend,today, told her there was water in the manifold and cylinders and was pretty close to totaled. The car never ran after stalling so we thought it might still be good to go after drying out. Ouch!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    She was soaking wet and standing in ankle deep water while trying to flag down someone. What an LEO could do would be to help her be safe on the road by deploying behind her with lights and maybe helping her to push the Scion off the road. Instead, a young woman from a bar nearby (The Brass Ring) saw her plight and ran out to help her. The guys she was with felt shamed and helped as well. Yea sisterhood!!
    BTW, A mechanic friend,today, told her there was water in the manifold and cylinders and was pretty close to totaled. The car never ran after stalling so we thought it might still be good to go after drying out. Ouch!

Her standing in the middle of the road flagging her down was probably MORE dangerous than just walking into the bar to call a wrecker herself.

I dont understand where you think she was entitled to ANY taxpayer assistance. :dunno:

And I will go ahead and say it.

If she totaled her car in ankle deep water, or even a foot deep for that matter, she deserved every bit of it for making the decision to drive into it that fast in the first place.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Really Benny? You know for a fact they didn't want to get wet, or are you just wanting to pile on?

Aren't you supposed to use lights when responding to a call?

I think you've read enough of my posts to know I don't paint with a broad brush, but there are plenty of lazy officers out there that would rather get to their break than to help a stranded motorist.

I guess the "getting wet" comment was moot, since there was nothing those officers could have done to get her out, but parking behind her with lights on would have been a nice gesture.

BTW, I don't mean to "pile on" anything, but I don't (personally) know one single person that has ever been pulled over on suspicion when it is raining. That's probably where my comment stemmed from.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daughter ran out of gas the other day on west 38th st. She had left her cell at home and was with the gran-daughter. Officer stopped and checked on her, lights on for traffic, called me and I brought 5 gals to the scene. He was still there talking to my gran-daughter. Good guy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Do you mean certain codes (or whatever) don't allow them?

Do you have any idea what criteria a call must meet to use them?

Standard operating procedures dictate when you can and cannot run lights and sirens.

Sometimes its dictated off the code, Acode Bcode Ccode, which is the degree of emergency and number of apperatus added to a run that the dispatcher thinks is needed (this is not entirely accurate but about the only way i can say it to make sense on here)

Also, there are a number of other reasons that you can see a firetruck that CANT stop and is not running hot (lights and sirens)

FUEL: if we need it and there isnt a city pump close by we mark out of service and go get it. We hurry to get back into district before we can mark back in

Training, false alarms, assist a persons.... as well as returning from a run that was a long ways away and needing to get back to your own district to provide protection there.

LOOONG story short, if you want a cop or firetruck on the scene you need to call 911.... If its not important enough to call 911, then you probably shouldnt complain that you didnt get help.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the vast majority of calls for service do not require lights and sirens. in fact, running "hot" to a call that doesn't warrant such expedience can land an officer in extremely hot water....think Dave Bissard.....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    one more comment about the citations.....:laugh: good luck finding a district officer (not a traffic unit) who drives around writing citations. we are so horribly under-staffed that nobody really cares about writing tickets in the districts.

The cycle troopers are taking care of that for you haha.

A few years back I was heading home on the highway and blew a tire, changed it and blew that spare a mile later.... Had many Impd pass me and figured they were on runs... What got me fried was the DOT trucks driving on the soilder that had to get in the traffic lanes to pass me and not one even stoped to ask if I was ok hahaha.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    the vast majority of calls for service do not require lights and sirens. in fact, running "hot" to a call that doesn't warrant such expedience can land an officer in extremely hot water....think Dave Bissard.....

I drive by that wreck site regularly... Even at 100mph I can't see how an alert driver who is paying attention could not have stoped... Just my thoughts on that not looking to get off subject.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I doubt I would of stopped unless said motorist was out of there vehicle inquiring for help. Just my .02. But if it was me id a called AAA :)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Standard operating procedures dictate when you can and cannot run lights and sirens.

Sometimes its dictated off the code, Acode Bcode Ccode, which is the degree of emergency and number of apperatus added to a run that the dispatcher thinks is needed (this is not entirely accurate but about the only way i can say it to make sense on here)

Also, there are a number of other reasons that you can see a firetruck that CANT stop and is not running hot (lights and sirens)

FUEL: if we need it and there isnt a city pump close by we mark out of service and go get it. We hurry to get back into district before we can mark back in

Training, false alarms, assist a persons.... as well as returning from a run that was a long ways away and needing to get back to your own district to provide protection there.

LOOONG story short, if you want a cop or firetruck on the scene you need to call 911.... If its not important enough to call 911, then you probably shouldnt complain that you didnt get help.

Thanks for the clarification guys.:yesway:

VUPDblue, I think it may have been the .19 BAC Bissard tested for that landed him in hot water though.:):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom