Good news is, I didn't get arrested today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    So, since when has the law changed that a person is Guilty until proven innocent? In my opinion, from the original post, that is the officer didn't know the license was expire, she immediately proceeded to the point of he is guilty. Could have simply issued the ticket and went on her way. -1 for officers and -1 for OP for letting his license expire
    When did she say the OP was guilty? Are you saying her actions are basically calling him guilty? I disagree.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is it typical to arrest people for misdemeanors?

Depends on a couple of things:

1. The offense (Domestic Battery, OWI, etc.=jail; Drinking under 21, Jacklighting deer, Not wearing hunter orange=summons [see you in court])

2. The county, the greater the population of the county the more likely you will get a summons.

3. How busy the particular officer is, maybe their mood too.

I have been pulled over many times over the years and never been asked, and have never offered the fact that I was carrying.

Have you been pulled over on 38th Street before?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Just when I was thinking "what no front page post on Lifetime LTCH redactions?" Here you go. It wouldn't be INGO without someone screaming the sky is falling. I find it humorous.

Purple implied. It's no fun actually using purple. It's better when people don't pick up on your sarcasm.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, since when has the law changed that a person is Guilty until proven innocent?

Interestingly enough, the law hasn't changed. "Innocent until proven guilty" applies to the courtroom. The principal does not keep an officer from investigating something to determine if criminal activity took place, and has never meant that. Believe it or not, I don't typically know who committed a robbery the instant it took place. If I just said "oh well, everyone is innocent until proven guilty" then I would never conduct an investigation because...no one is proven guilty.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    When she confiscated his gun before she knew he had an expired license????
    From a legal standpoint, I don't see where the officer did anything wrong. She investigated, didn't overreact IMO, and gave the OP a warning. That's gracious IMO.

From the viewpoint of a civi who carries a firearm daily, yeah, it's a hassle but the officer brought the expired LTCH to the OP's attention and didn't maximize on her opportunity to screw up his day.

38th St. I don't blame the officer for her precautions The whole area over there is riddled with crime and gang members.

Last edited:

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What if he said he was on the way to a range? Could he have kept his gun? He might have had to transport it differently if he was on the way to a range without an LTCH...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What if he said he was on the way to a range? Could he have kept his gun? He might have had to transport it differently if he was on the way to a range without an LTCH...

It really doesn't matter where he was heading, without a valid Larry he'd have needed to transport unloaded, encased and out of reach.

There was no reason to confiscate the handgun, but in lieu of the misdemeanor charge, I'd probably let that go under this circumstance.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I still want to know if Officer Howard is HOT! Can't believe 10 pages and no answer to that important question...

Top Bottom