• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    You are aware the sound made by the slide action on a pump shotgun is quite possibly the most unmistakable sound in the history of the human race? It is not equivalent to the sound of a magazine being loaded into a Glock (or any other semi-auto) not is it the equivalent action (loading a magazine does not mean a round is chambered, plus the slide on a semi-auto handgun isn't near as loud.)
    No other sound on this planet gets everyone's attention the way a slide on a pump shotgun does. Ask around.

You understand the problem here is that:

1. You don't WANT to draw attention to yourself in a home defense situation, you want the attack to stop with as little harm to you as possible.

2. If you "racking" a round in, you either missed your first shot (at this point they are aware that you have a shot gun) or failed to have your weapon ready for it's purpose in the first place.

3. You cannot predict how anyone will react to anything, ever.

4. The only reason to bring deadly force to bear is to use said deadly force due to fear of death or great bodily blah blah blah. Noise is not deadly force please stop thinking it has any effect other than letting someone know you were unprepared and providing your location.

You gun has one purpose, to kill, it's not a warning device.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Kel-Tec KSG 14 + 1 Pump Bull-Pup Tactical Shotgun

Looks bad ass and is on my wish list. Just as soon as they can make enough of them.

I don't want to risk the device that switches the two tubes to break on me even though it is very unlikely.

A plain old 870 is good for anyone.

sparks408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    im with ya on that noise thing. I'm not going to give a bugler a warning noise before I shoot. just maybe a faint safety click but that's it. the old saiga is always loaded and ready full of 00 buck. one in the hole and 19 friends in the drum. cause u never know how many their might be. shoot first ask questions later! sorry no pump here

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm not going to give a bugler a warning noise before I shoot.

I know they can be annoying, but damn, that's harsh. :D

images

oneshotadam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Syracuse
    Well you can always just get anything and saw it off... Oops that's illegal! Haha anyways mossberg 500 is a good gun I got it and well I haven't used it on a intruder but it's a nice gun

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have had two semi shotguns, Mossy and FN with about 600 through both and I can only recall a single malfunction. I also have had a pump with far less rounds and experience at least 3 malfunctions, My SLP now stands guard at my house with the confidence that will not let me down.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The sound of any shotgun is pretty threatening

I keep a Mossberg 930SPX by my nightstand. I'm willing to give up the sound of racking it in exchange for a semi-auto shotgun. In my opinion, anyone that runs simply from the sound of a shotgun being racked was not much of a threat in the first place. Chances are, they were just a kid looking to steal cameras for drug money.

Anyone that is a serious threat now knows more about what the defense they are facing is than they should. They know you are awake and what you are armed with. Maybe that makes them walk away, maybe it does not. If not, you are now at a disadvantage.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If it's a pump, it makes that unmistakable sound that every bad guy knows and doesn't want to hear.

Would it be safer and cheaper to play a recording of the slide racking? I mean, who needs an actual shootable gun if the SOUND is the main deterrent?:dunno:

The only time a BG should hear the slide rack is AFTER he's already taken a 9-pellet shower, at which point he already knows there's a shotgun....

JMO

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I have been using 870's and like them, but also have a Stevens 320 that I like fairly well so far as a back up for what I have in it.

I agree with others above, the bad guy will never hear the action cycle...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Nothing against the semi crowd, but the pump gun is cheaper, simple to operate, and still very reliable.

If you are recoil sensitive, look at the reduced recoil buckshot, it really does make a difference. Not being familiar with semi-auto guns, I dont know if the standard ones are loadable without taking them out of the fight, a pump can be fed on the go, and never be down . If training and rememnering to pump the shotgun between rounds is an issue, maybe you should either consider a double barrel, or better yet, more training.

As for make, I was raised on Remingtons, so they are more intuitive to me. The Mossberg is my second choice, as the thumb safety is also fairly intuitive. Past that, old Smith and Wesson shotguns, Winchesters, bennelli pump guns, ect.. Lots of good options out there, the only thing that one should consider, if its not as is what you are looking for, the Mossbergs and Remingtons will probably be the easiest to find accessory barrels and other parts for.

Top Bottom