• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The suggestions about the sound of racking a shotgun, or giving any real world recommendations for the Judge, sound like crap I hear from the jokers behind the counters of most gunshops.

So, you want to stand in front of my Judge?

No, I didn't think so.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    My preference is for pump action ala 870 or 500. If you want to know why its because everyone in the world knows that sound of the action cycling in the middle of the night. Bad juju for burglars.

:rolleyes:
    'Round this place dude.......if they hear that........means I miss'd......an that ain't likely......:cool:

killshot500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    marion
    i want the pistol grip cuz it looks cool and i think the gun would feel better to me iv shot shotguns before and love the pistol grips with the stock or a sliding stock so i can make it short or long i want it for my house and i want it to have a semi short barrel

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

No, I didn't think so.

Come on, man. That is a ridiculous way to frame things.

I don't want to stand in front of your Red Ryder either, that would probably hurt, too.

What I don't want to do, is use a tool that has minimal potential for effectiveness, to accomplish a job I want done as well as possible, as quickly as possible.

Truth be told, it is my belief that a 12ga shotgun of any sort, is less than an optimal HD weapon, but it's a far cry better than a low velocity .410 any day.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Oh, I thought the topic was a shotgun for home defense. Didn't know it was to look cool. Pump shotguns (and doubles for that matter) were guarding the home since before any of us were born. It wasn't a style contest, it was real world defense. Not Zombie killing. not Rambo stuff. The gun could harvest rabbits, squirrels, deer, avenge the occasional laying hen death and still defend the home in it's off duty time. And it did it years before all these bells and whistles were even dreamed about. I'm not much for single purpose anything. Mossberg with two barrels, one with choke tubes so I can hunt with it and the other a slug barrel. Handles deer slugs and shotshells just fine. If you can't handle that gun with the slug barrel on it down a hallway or around the corner, well, I can't help you. This ain't a video game, this is real stuff.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I am seriously considering a SA-20 for home defense. It's semi auto which helps to absorb the already mild 20ga recoil as well as improve on the accuracy of follow up shots. It is light weight and built smallish so it should be something that wives, teens, etc would be comfortable grabbing up and putting to use. I also like that in a high intensity situation they would not have to remember to pump the action if they needed to shoot again.

75778_sa20tactical-tfb1.jpg

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    As a default to this sort of question, I always ask myself "What are the police and military using?" Lowest bidder aside, they throw more money at a question like this than me and any ten of my friends will earn in our lifetimes, so it's a pretty good bet they've uncovered the lemons and found some solid performers. Currently, I'm using the Remington 870 and have no complaints to offer, although mine has laminated wood instead of the Magpul MOE setup I want.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

No, I didn't think so.

This is the most idiotic mouth-full of excrement I see posted frequently on INGO, and seems to be the go-to line for anyone trying to justify silly decisions without facts or research. My lack of desire to be shot by ANYTHING does not validate anyone's sub-par choice in home defense.

I don't WANT to be shot by a 10/22, yet they are nowhere to be found on the battlefield.

I do not WANT to be punched in the face, yet I still carry a pistol to protect myself rather than relying on my empty hands.

I don't WANT to be shot by a sugar cube from a slingshot, yet I still defend my home with 00 buck.

I can go on if necessary, but I believe I've made my point.

Mgderf, this is not an attack on you. You weren't the first to post this and you won't be the last. Some variant of this pops up in every caliber debate or home defense thread created. :n00b:

/rant

Last edited:

gearheadwilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Mossberg 12ga full stock short barrel with a tactical light. Just the sound of that pump action racking a slug into the pipe will make almost any bad guy run for the hills!

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This is the most idiotic mouth-full of excrement I see posted frequently on INGO, and seems to be the go-to line for anyone trying to justify silly decisions without facts or research. My lack of desire to be shot by ANYTHING does not validate anyone's sub-par choice in home defense.

I don't WANT to be shot by a 10/22, yet they are nowhere to be found on the battlefield.

I do not WANT to be punched in the face, yet I still carry a pistol to protect myself rather than relying on my empty hands.

I don't WANT to be shot by a sugar cube from I slingshot, yet I still defend my home with 00 buck.

I can go on if necessary, but I believe I've made my point.

Mgderf, this is not an attack on you. You weren't the first to post this and you won't be the last. Some variant of this pops up in every caliber debate or home defense thread created. :n00b:

/rant

:+1:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    if any one is selling a Remington 870 let me know thanks

FYI, you must have 50 quality posts (not just one-liners or new user welcomes) to participate in the Classifieds, or you can become a Site Supporter. Info on the latter can be found by clicking this banner:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I don't get the "sound of the action" thing either. Who goes down an empty dark hall with an unloaded gun ? It's equivalent to saying the sound of a magazine being slammed into a Glock scares people.. I agree, it's only if you missed. and by that time I'm guessing he already needs a new pair of shorts.

Top Bottom