• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yup. It was only a dog. It was a dog that never left my side. It was a dog that really only would let me pick her up and she would have spent all day in my arms. She was a dog that loved unconditionally. She was a dog that would sit on another person's lap perfectly content...until I walked in the room. She was a small dog, yet took up 2/3 of the bed sleeping with me. She had to be touching me, no foot of the bed sleeping for her. She was a dog that I have had for almost 13 years and had the honor of spending a lot of time with in the last 9 months since I WFH.

I think that is what makes losing her so tough. She was my shadow and my companionship. Now I sit in an empty and eerily quiet house. I had to make the decision to put her down yesterday and man does it hurt.

You see, some may say it was just a dog. But to me she was a family member. She was my "puppy", my "good girl", who knew how to turn just right at my feet signaling that she wanted to be picked up. The dog that would literally press into my chest when we sat down to watch TV. The girl that would "talk to me". I would make a sound like a dog and she would make the same sound. We could go back and forth for a long time. She was always present, mostly during the day sleeping at my feet while I worked in my home office. At 3:30 everyday she would get up, look at me, "time for you to take me for a walk", which I would do.

Some people don't want to have pets because they don't want to go through the pain of the loss. But I know the hurt won't last forever and it will be okay to go through this process remembering the 13 years of "life" that this little dog brought to our home.

RIP Holly. Hopefully, I will see you on the other side one day.

View attachment 380745

A good dog is amongst one of many gifts our Creator gave us.

Only a dog?

Not at all.

Sorry for your loss.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just told my wife today that I won't say "never". I am saying no we won't get one, but I just don't know what retirement will bring me. Maybe I will travel a few years and then stop and at that point I could get one, but at that point, it would probably outlive me which I'm not sure I want to subject the dog to.
    Agreed there are no absolutes in life. Well except uninvited people are not getting getting past Tank . He was out with the goats for a bout a week. For some reason not sure why he decided that we were his to protect.

Dogs fill so many roles including being members of the family.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpeg
      IMG_0172.jpeg
      351.4 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I want to thank all of you that responded to this thread. I'm not much for social media but knew it would help to say something. As is usually the case, this community came through. I expected that a lot of us have more things in common other than firearms.

I may have missed a few of you in acknowledgement, but know what you said was read and appreciated. Sometimes it was hard to see after reading a few.

You folks are proof that there are still good people in this world.

Thanks again, you have helped me greatly.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My heart breaks for you. Im so sorry. It's amazing how we invite these little creatures into our homes and they become charished family.

Tonight I'll drink one to you and the trip across the rainbow bridge your puppy made.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sorry for your loss. We lost our two little elderly female dogs three years ago, went two years thinking we didn’t want another, then all the sudden here’s this pup that needs a home and it just felt right. It’s been a year now and I can’t imagine life without him.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry for your loss. We lost our two little elderly female dogs three years ago, went two years thinking we didn’t want another, then all the sudden here’s this pup that needs a home and it just felt right. It’s been a year now and I can’t imagine life without him.
    I’m already thinking that after we get the majority of our retirement travel done, we may be ready for another pup. We are home bodies anyway and after we see what we want to see, life will be slow paced and relaxed. A dog would fit pretty well into that.:)

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I too am a dog lover, and lost my best friend a couple of months ago. I agree that they're not "just" a dog, they become family members and when they're gone they leave us broken hearted. I will miss my buddy Kasper till I see him on the other side.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yup. It was only a dog. It was a dog that never left my side. It was a dog that really only would let me pick her up and she would have spent all day in my arms. She was a dog that loved unconditionally. She was a dog that would sit on another person's lap perfectly content...until I walked in the room. She was a small dog, yet took up 2/3 of the bed sleeping with me. She had to be touching me, no foot of the bed sleeping for her. She was a dog that I have had for almost 13 years and had the honor of spending a lot of time with in the last 9 months since I WFH.

I think that is what makes losing her so tough. She was my shadow and my companionship. Now I sit in an empty and eerily quiet house. I had to make the decision to put her down yesterday and man does it hurt.

You see, some may say it was just a dog. But to me she was a family member. She was my "puppy", my "good girl", who knew how to turn just right at my feet signaling that she wanted to be picked up. The dog that would literally press into my chest when we sat down to watch TV. The girl that would "talk to me". I would make a sound like a dog and she would make the same sound. We could go back and forth for a long time. She was always present, mostly during the day sleeping at my feet while I worked in my home office. At 3:30 everyday she would get up, look at me, "time for you to take me for a walk", which I would do.

Some people don't want to have pets because they don't want to go through the pain of the loss. But I know the hurt won't last forever and it will be okay to go through this process remembering the 13 years of "life" that this little dog brought to our home.

RIP Holly. Hopefully, I will see you on the other side one day.

View attachment 380745
    She is only a dog to those soulless individuals amongst us. The rest of us understand.

Top Bottom