• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ve seen some things and been places and had quite a few experiences in my almost 60 years on this earth, including losing loved ones, but I had to make the decision in 2020 to euthanize my best buddy, our 4 year old GSD, and it was by far the worst thing I’ve ever had to do.

Very sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Like others, I've been through it several times and it's always heart breaking. It's amazing how an animal becomes such a big part of the family. How they are able to express their unconditional love and offer comfort in tough times is still a mystery to me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We don't get to spend our whole lives with a dog, but it gets to spend it's whole life with you.
    This is well written and helps me immensely put this in perspective. Thank you! And boy, did she have a good life. Our family members used to roll their eyes when they saw us interact with her and the things we did for her.

Sure she was a prima donna. So what?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I know exactly how you feel. Been there and it’s not fun. Horrible actually. It does get better though and you will still have the memories forever. Mine is 11 also and that day will be soon approaching. He is my last one. As said dogs are better than people

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know exactly how you feel. Been there and it’s not fun. Horrible actually. It does get better though and you will still have the memories forever. Mine is 11 also and that day will be soon approaching. He is my last one. As said dogs are better than people
    Yeah, after 35 years of having pets, we are done. I’m retiring soon and we want to do some traveling while we are still able. Being free of the responsibility will be good… I think.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I
    Yeah, after 35 years of having pets, we are done. I’m retiring soon and we want to do some traveling while we are still able. Being free of the responsibility will be good… I think.
    Im in the exact same boat. I’m at the point where a new Dog might outlive me
    And the wife. We can handle it but a dog taken away from it long time owner would be devastated

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Yup. It was only a dog. It was a dog that never left my side. It was a dog that really only would let me pick her up and she would have spent all day in my arms. She was a dog that loved unconditionally. She was a dog that would sit on another person's lap perfectly content...until I walked in the room. She was a small dog, yet took up 2/3 of the bed sleeping with me. She had to be touching me, no foot of the bed sleeping for her. She was a dog that I have had for almost 13 years and had the honor of spending a lot of time with in the last 9 months since I WFH.

I think that is what makes losing her so tough. She was my shadow and my companionship. Now I sit in an empty and eerily quiet house. I had to make the decision to put her down yesterday and man does it hurt.

You see, some may say it was just a dog. But to me she was a family member. She was my "puppy", my "good girl", who knew how to turn just right at my feet signaling that she wanted to be picked up. The dog that would literally press into my chest when we sat down to watch TV. The girl that would "talk to me". I would make a sound like a dog and she would make the same sound. We could go back and forth for a long time. She was always present, mostly during the day sleeping at my feet while I worked in my home office. At 3:30 everyday she would get up, look at me, "time for you to take me for a walk", which I would do.

Some people don't want to have pets because they don't want to go through the pain of the loss. But I know the hurt won't last forever and it will be okay to go through this process remembering the 13 years of "life" that this little dog brought to our home.

RIP Holly. Hopefully, I will see you on the other side one day.

View attachment 380745
    Sorry for your loss, greg. They are family and losing them hurts. I definitely feel your pain and you have my sympathies.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I

Im in the exact same boat. I’m at the point where a new Dog might outlive me
    And the wife. We can handle it but a dog taken away from it long time owner would be devastated
    We have had a few best friends pass after long happy lives. While each unique in their own way. I can not image life with out a furry friend.

Perhaps there is one out there that will choose you as their human.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have had a few best friends pass after long happy lives. While each unique in their own way. I can not image life with out a furry friend.

Perhaps there is one out there that will choose you as their human.
    Just told my wife today that I won't say "never". I am saying no we won't get one, but I just don't know what retirement will bring me. Maybe I will travel a few years and then stop and at that point I could get one, but at that point, it would probably outlive me which I'm not sure I want to subject the dog to.

Top Bottom