• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's a pretty vague question. It really depends on what you will use it for...cc , target practice, the nightstand gun. I'd add some parameters such as primary use, ideal size and price eange and I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hi and :welcome:

I am fond of the Springfield XDM. Extremely simple breakdown process for cleaning, match barrel (standard) high capacity mags-
    Good for all applications-
    Just fun to shoot!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There are bunches of good 9mm's. I'm thinking about picking up either a G19 or a S&W M&P for a carry gun.

Go to a store and handle a couple. It's really going to come down to grip (how the gun fits your hand) and your personal taste/needs.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    There are bunches of good 9mm's. I'm thinking about picking up either a G19 or a S&W M&P for a carry gun.

Go to a store and handle a couple. It's really going to come down to grip (how the gun fits your hand) and your personal taste/needs.

I agree on the fact that you should go in person and handle a firearm before you buy one, even if its "the Best" to whoever's standards, if it doesnt feel good in your hand then its pretty pointless. You wont be satisfied!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Glad to see you made it Eric!!

He went to the range this weekend and shot a PX4, 226, and an X-5.

Eric, you can go to blythe's in Valpo and rent guns ( I think). I don't know how costly this is, but it might be worth shooting something outside of my collection.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll tell you what the objective gun owners all told me when I was first looking: buy what fits your hand. For me, that was a Glock 17. Glock really does 9mm well. Lots of praise for the 19 if you can stand a smaller frame. Super reliable and tons of capacity. Light weight and reasonably priced. High resale value if for some reason you end up really wanting something else (hard to believe). Basically, you can't go wrong, unless you just don't like the fit, which of course, you will discover in the gun shop.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I remember sometime back there was a thread along the lines of what was the best 9mm ever. Pretty interesting to see the response. For current production guns there are a lot of great choices. Personally I favor mid to full size autos. Compact pistols are easy to conceal but may not be as practical on the range. If a gun is fun to shoot a person will be more inclined to practice. So, what 9mm guns would top my list for function and fun?

Glock 17/19, Springfield XD/XDm, S&W M&P, Taurus 24/7 Pro, Walther P99, Beretta 92, Sig P226/229 and my personal favorite the Browning HiPower.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Springfield XD

but seriously, go to the biggest gun shop you can find, and pick up as many guns as you can. You're bound to fall in love with one of them. It'll fit like a glove.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My only 9mm is an old Taurus PT99 that fits well, good balance, eats just about anything you feed it, and has NEVER failed me.:yesway:

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One of the great things about newer designs are the interchangable backstraps. It makes finding a gun that fits much easier no matter what caliber you are looking for. I think Glock needs to move to this new platform as well to stay competitive.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    No matter what ANYONE else says, buy a S&W M&P 9mm.:soapbox:

Just kidding. Try out a few and see what fits, feels good, shoots well, meets your carry/protection needs and is in your price range. Have fun deciding.

Top Bottom