• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You've got tons of good, dependable choices. You really need to try and shoot some and decide for yourself. I personally carry Glocks, an M&P, SIG and a Kahr and love them all.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My favorites, in order of preference:

Beretta 92FS
    M&P 9c
    XD9 Tactical
    S&W 3913
    S&W 39
    S&W 59/5900 series
    Browning Hi-Power
    Ruger P89
    Taurus PT99 or PT92
    Glock 19

I've owned and shot at least one of all the above. In several cases, I've owned more than one. They've all worked VERY well for me. Each has their pluses and minuses. The P89, for example, is fat and heavy, but is so overbuilt it's liable to survive a nuclear explosion. The Glock 19 works wonderfully, but feels like crap to me. The Beretta, my favorite, is flawlessly reliable, feels great in my hands, I shoot it very well, it's smooooth to operate, looks sexy... some folks think it's size is a minus, but I even like that LOL. There's nothing I dislike about the 92FS, but that is far from true for everyone.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    No matter what ANYONE else says, buy a S&W M&P 9mm.

I love mine. It has three interchangeable grips (plus, you can get them with Crimson Trace built into a medium-size grip). I bought the full size M&P 9mm, not the compact. The compact was NOT that much smaller; plus it felt like it would jump out of my hand when fired.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Another vote for the Glock 19.

Light weight, high capacity, accessories galore and you won't have to mail it anywhere if you want/need work on it because Glock armorers are EVERYWHERE.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    No matter what ANYONE else says, buy a S&W M&P 9mm.:soapbox:

Just kidding. Try out a few and see what fits, feels good, shoots well, meets your carry/protection needs and is in your price range. Have fun deciding.

SUMS IT UP PERFECTLY. Only add a "c" after the "M&P 9mm" part.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I strongly agree with those that have suggested handling as many as possible before purchasing. You will know when you find the one you like. For me, it was the Springfield XD9.
    I also have to throw in the 1911 format. If funds are availabe, the springfield EMP and Kimber CDP are VERY NICE.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    A great option that is very overlooked are the FN FNP series of pistols. They come with all the bells and whistles of much more expensive guns, and FN has great support for individual customers. They have melonite coated stainless everything and everything is modular and pinned into the frame. This saves on cost for them, but it is also very nice because the frame rails and everything else are replaceable. As far as longevity goes, you can't make something as durable as something that's easily replaced, and I don't understand why other manufacturers make wear items permanently attached to the rest of the unit.

FNP-9 Series

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I'm going to try to give 2 reasonable choices followed by a popular but a bit more expensive favorite:

Ruger SR9 - Great feel, size, function - relatively inexpensive

Taurus 92 AFS - Beautiful, big, incredible trigger - can be had fairly cheap..

CZ75b = Beautiful, functional, accurate pistol - should last a lifetime.

The others will probably be lifetime friends as well. The Taurus is one of the finest pistols ever made. The Ruger is new, sexy, and so far, very reliable. As others have said, get the one that feels the best to you. That is so important that the gun fit your hand while you're shooting it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    SR9 is a real nice shooter. Stainless and polymer, will also last a lifetime. Plus, made in USA, which doesn't seem to matter as much anymore, but still a plus.

Also, it is thinner, which helps for concealment. Adjustable backstrap flips, so you don't have to worry about losing extra backstraps.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I have a Glock 26 and really like it, carries and conceals well.
    I have one myself, just can't go wrong with one. That is if you don't mind plastic pistols (took me awhile to believe plastic has its virtues...just gotta keep it away from sharp toothed animals). Only thing I don't like is the lack of a manual safety, but that is just my preference.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    My vote is for the Beretta 92fs, m9 or m9a1. I love mine. They carry 15+1 and you can club the bg with it if you run out of ammo

Top Bottom