• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'd stay away from a sub compact for your first handgun. Buy a service size model first, learn to shoot it (you can also CC a XD or G19) and work with it. The 4" service guns can be concealed well, and people shoot them at competitions. They cover quite a large area of 'usability'; which, is a plus for a first pistol.

I'm going to the range in the Martinsville tomorrow morning if you live close enough to meet me and shoot both. PM me if so.

The XD's external safety is actually quite effective. Or, get a Kahr pistol that is double action instead of striker fired.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    FWIW, I'm happy to have started on a Glock 26. You lose a little barrel length (and thus accuracy, velocity, and sight radius), but gain some concealability. Since I was just starting, I figured I had no sense of how a handgun "should" feel, so I didn't mind the pinkieless grip — and even then, just get a G26 mag with an A&G sleeve, which effectively gives you a G19 grip. (Easier to make a gun longer than shorter!)

My wife also loves her Kahr CW9 (and it's got a LOOOOONG, but buttery-smooth trigger) — but Glock reliability (and aftermarket) are hard to argue with. For example, I've got an Advantage Arms conversion kit that turns my Glock into a .22LR pistol — cheap trigger time, just as a rookie like me needs.

But if you don't mind the bit of extra size, a G19 would be a great call, too.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Don't listen to all of them... :rolleyes:

Just the ones who said XD!:rockwoot:

Shoot some more varieties until you are comfortable enough to decide which one is best for you.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    I went through the same selection process in January. I found the right 9mm for me by feel. Indy gun show is great for checking out what's out there. I ended up with a Beretta Px4 Storm, with 3 17 round mags. Had it since Jan and have put over 2,000 rounds throught it with out a problem. Maybe some day I'll try a Glock but perfectly happy with my Px4

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Like most people said on here. You should shoot about any good you are interested in before you buy. Noone on this site can tell you what gun is going to fit in your hand the best. The good thing you have going for you is you have 5000 friends on here with guns. Im sure you can find any gun you would like to try out.

Noone brought up hi points or lorcin??? whats up with that?:):

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I think a do it all Glock is the 26/27 series. It's a legitimate conceal carry gun, plus it's rock solid, accurate, and reliable. It's a small army in your IWB holster.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Gotta say the G19. For your parameters, it would be a great fit. Good capacity, reliable, easy to shoot, and very easy to conceal.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Welcome to INGO! Man, your post sounds very similar to the one I made on thefiringline several years ago. Congrats on pursuing your higher education... stick with it and you'll be able to afford many fine high dollar guns. 500 dollars is a very reasonable wiggle-room price that gives you a lot of options. esrice is right on the money about the G19. If you'd like a slightly more active safety, I highly recommend the Springfield Armory XD. It has a beaver tail safety that must be depressed in order to fire the tool. They come in a variety of calibers and sizes and hold their own.

If you don't want to go the polymer route, CZ makes some fine aluminum aircraft-grade pistols in 9mm. Some of them feature safeties and others have decockers. The CZ P-01 is a fine pistol. I see them used from time to time for just shy of 400 dollars. Let us know what you get!

Guns have a way of multiplying even if we think our finances can't initially afford it. It absorbs and soaks up money and time from other hobbies. Stay safe!

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All that being said, you really can't go wrong with the Glock, XD, or M&P. Whatever you decide on, get training on how to properly use it-- THAT is the most important part.

:oldwise: what he said...
    it doesn't matter so much whether you choose Glock, XD, S&W or any other... get some basic, proper gun handling training and have some fun! It's not rocket science, but some guidance early on goes a long way! I'd recommend the basic NRA class

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I neither am a fan of Glock. Not saying their not dependable, just to much hype surrounds them. I do really like the Xd, XDm, and M&P's. Also have you thought of maybe a Taurus 24/7? Localy they are right around $400. Only downside to me is they have a manual safety. I would reccomend a 92FS, but they are a bit big. Or how about a CZ P-01?. They come in a compact, and fullsize model. They have a decocker.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Find a S&W 5906. You can get them for under $400. Accurate and reliable. Easy to carry. If you are lookins for something a little smaller, try a 6906. I have had both and regret getting rid of them.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I recommend the Glock. The only reason I really recommend the Glock in 9mm is because later on, you could buy a sub-compact for deep concealment and a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 for a decent carbine. Plus, with the 9mm models, you can get factory 30+ round magazines for that Sub-2000.

Outside of the above, lots of guns are decent enough in 9mm: XD, XDm, Sig, HK, Beretta

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I recommend a Hi-Point. Low price and legendary reliability.

Just kidding. Everyone on here is going to recommend what they personally use. Just get out there and fire as many of them as you can so you can see what works best for you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom