• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Agree with WestSider - Personally like my Taurus 24/7 - It fits right - Glocks don't. But that's specific to each person. Rent/borrow as many as you can. Find what works for you. Don't listen to all of the bigotry one way or the other. Buy what works for you - THEN you too can be bigoted towards your particular favorite!

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    love my ber model 92 if you look at a glock see if you can try it first you will either love it or hate it all depends on your hands and comfort with it. If you like the glock get it if you find another that you like get that it all depends on what is comfortable to you

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    You really should consider the Smith & Wesson M&P9. As has been mentioned, you need to handle and preferably shoot any gun that you are considering. I did this before I bought my M&P9. I shot a number of others including the Glock. I just could not get used to the 'feel' of the Glock. Great gun, but not for me. The M&P fits me like a glove. I had S&W PC do some clean-up of the gun, and this smoothed it out dramatically. It's a dream to shoot. Price isn't bad either!

2u9lixh.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    All of them can do it all. Thats the point:

* Glock 17, 19, 26
    * Beretta Px4 Storm & compact
    * Beretta 92
    * FN-P9
    * XD9 & compact
    * KelTec P11
    * KelTec PF9
    * CZ-75 & compact
    * CZ P07
    * CZ RAMI
    * Ruger SR9
    * Sig P226
    * Sig P239
    * Walther P99
    * Walther PPS
    * S&W 908
    * S&W M&P9 & compact
    * Kahr P9
    * Kahr PM9

Those are the ones that I personally consider to be good 9mms; those are the models i would consider purchasing. Some of them lean more towards "Service pistol" and some lean more towards "concealment piece", but they will all do it all.

What you should do is decide what you will use it for most frequently: If you will be using it most frequently as an OC piece, a range gun, a home defense gun, or a hunting/camping sidearm then I would advise you to choose a gun on the "service pistol" end of the spectrum. If you are looking for a concealed carry piece or a mixed duty CCW/home defense gun then i would advise you to get one of the smaller guns, preferable with a rail for a light.

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Owning both the m&p 40 and the xd-sc9 they are both great guns. Theres somewhere i know online thats offering both for less than 500 right now. And actually the xd-sc9 is less than 450.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Posted this over at THR but thought I'd get some input here as well.

I am 21 and am just getting into guns.
    Buy a 9mm that has a .22lr upper available for it.

Then you have a gun can that do it all, both now for a novice shooter and years later for an "old timer"

In our extended family/group we use Glocks.

Postal Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Springville
    I have Glock 19, and 2 Beretta 92FS's, but I carry the Glock. Smaller, easier to conceal.
    The Safety isnt really an issue once you get used to it. If you are really concerned with an accidental discharge, you could just carry loaded gun without chambering a round. Just remember that if the SHTF ya gotta rack the slide.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Either a Glock 19 or a M&P 9c (with magazine finger extensions, it's virtually identical in size to the G-19)

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    it doesn't matter so much whether you choose Glock, XD, S&W . . .

+1. We like to discuss and debate equipment, and that's fun and all. But sometimes we focus too much on equipment.

Don't forget, YOU'RE the most important factor (in your ability to use it) than the gun you choose (assuming you get a quality piece from one of the major mfgs).

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I have CZ 75s and Browning Hi Powers that I would glad to let you shoot. Then you will be ruined for life and all the other pistols will never measure up. Get the plastic gun thing out of your system asap.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I already threw in my vote for the G19 but I wanted to mention that I also stress training. Weapons are just the tools. Knowing how to use them and creating muscle memory is key. The tool part is important as well. Meeting new people and trying out different weapons systems is also important. The more weapons you know how to use the more effective you are in different situations. You can meet a few people or I am sure there would be more than enough folks on this forum that would let you use their weapons on the range if you supplied the ammo. Find something comfortable and go with that. I like Glock but that is what works for me. There is nothing wrong with Springfield, SIG or any of the others. First find what feels good and then work with that. Did I mention that like Glock..... Always goes bang and the price is right.

gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    Wow, thank you to everyone for all the responses. It seems like a lot of people favor the Glock 19. The shooting range I went to (popguns) had a Glock 19 that you could rent, but unfortunately they converted it to .22, so I won't be able to really get a feel for how it shoots. I think it will be good to hold it and see how it feels in my hand, so I plan to go back soon and check it out. They also have the xd9sc there, which I already shot and liked pretty well, so I'll probably give it another shot. On a side note, I tried to find some 9mm ammo today and it was impossible. Hope its not always this hard, because I don't think I can afford the 25$ per box at the range for very long!

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ok, too many G19 votes in a row so I have to chime in for the XD! I am not sure where you got that Glock was more reliable. I have put at least 1000 rounds through my 4" service XD9 and I don't recall a single failure to feed or eject. Many torture test reports would support it's durability. Not that the XD is any better but certainly not any worse. I strongly agree that any of the modern 9mm pistols are of good quality. You need to handle a lot of them and find what fits your hand and style. Train, then practice, practice, practice. I am in Lafayette and, if you are close, I would be happy to share an XD for a shoot. We could talk medicine while we are at it.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Wow, thank you to everyone for all the responses. It seems like a lot of people favor the Glock 19. The shooting range I went to (popguns) had a Glock 19 that you could rent, but unfortunately they converted it to .22, so I won't be able to really get a feel for how it shoots. I think it will be good to hold it and see how it feels in my hand, so I plan to go back soon and check it out. They also have the xd9sc there, which I already shot and liked pretty well, so I'll probably give it another shot. On a side note, I tried to find some 9mm ammo today and it was impossible. Hope its not always this hard, because I don't think I can afford the 25$ per box at the range for very long!

If you do decide on the XD Sub 9mm, I have a nice one for sale over in the classifieds section. :ingo:

gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    Ok, too many G19 votes in a row so I have to chime in for the XD! I am not sure where you got that Glock was more reliable. I have put at least 1000 rounds through my 4" service XD9 and I don't recall a single failure to feed or eject. Many torture test reports would support it's durability. Not that the XD is any better but certainly not any worse. I strongly agree that any of the modern 9mm pistols are of good quality. You need to handle a lot of them and find what fits your hand and style. Train, then practice, practice, practice. I am in Lafayette and, if you are close, I would be happy to share an XD for a shoot. We could talk medicine while we are at it.

I certainly haven't ruled out the xD yet, it is still very much in consideration. I live in fishers but go to purdue, so I am in Lafayette for most of the year as well

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    while i agree that the glock is a fantastic weapon i would not recommend that gun as your first. get a sig p6,p228,p226,p2022 or p229 series or another weapon that has a da/sa trigger. a smaller beretta ruger and khar would also work.

Top Bottom