GM - no deals and great comments at the gun counter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    They also try to rip you off on trades. They tried to give me $200 less than most gun shops offered for my Sig 229 and said that was "a result of their overhead"...

I really saw all I needed to when I noticed an S&W M&P 15T for $700-$800 more than it is at most gun shops.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    The Gander is high. I know I used to work there. As far as the trade in go.... we would take bluebook value then give 70-80% of book value and usually sell at book value. Some employees didn't have a clue on value. I was as fair as I could be, usually bumping value. Most of the higher vlues on the police trade in etc. were set by Corp. Who seemed to not know a handgun from a rifle. It basically a I need/want it now type of store. Do some research. they do have a price match policy. Print it out take a pic. with your phone. It does depend on who's at the counter. Have a complaint call the 800 number. It usually pays (wink, wink)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't understand why people continue to patronize such places. Continue to feed the beast and they continue to exist.

They have their purpose. They stock a lot of the smaller accessory stuff. If you need it in a hurry, not a bad place to go. For example, wanted some 9mm snap caps for my daughter's gun. GM's price $19.99. Pops had them for $15. Online..., probably $10. But I wanted them NOW...

There are a lot of people in there buying guns everyday. These people might be intimidated going into a gun shop. "Gun guys" at shops are a different breed. Once you're in this lifestyle you don't realize how the noobs see it.

Besides, every new gun owner is another vote to keep guns legal... even if they overpaid.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    When Gander came here to Evansville they would match prices with anyone around, even Whittaker. I bought 4 guns from them but have heard it's a hassle trying to get them to come down on anything now. I love going there and looking and I will try to spend money there since they do welcome all patrons than conceal carry and make a note of it, too. I'd rather buy from my local gun store or go with Midway USA or Brownells or LaRue Tactical if I were to buy high-end stuff. It's sad since they could really have the market sewn up around here if they'd come off about 25% on their list.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I just hope that Gander Mountain realizes that they are in a downward spiral and does something about it very soon. I have noticed that their inventory has declined and that there seems to be less salespeople available to help when you need one. They are probably keeping their prices high to make up for their dwindling sales. It probably costs a fortune to pay for their fancy buildings. I hope that they make some major changes before it is too late. I would hate to think that Dick's would become my only choice for outdoor items. I can only imagine what most women think about Dick's, but the guys that I personally know go to them only when they have to for a specific purpose.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Honestly I have had a great experience at gander.. Picked up my mossberg 500 for an extremely good price asked about cantilevered slug barrels, guy told me they had them and then told me where to get them cheaper. I said well then I can bring it in and you guys would scope it for free like this service says, he said well technically we can't prove you didn't buy the barrel here so yeah and I will have to remember that next time some one asks. Hate to disagree with everyone but the employees I dealt with were awesome and got a steal on the 12 gauge. Ammo was outrageous though.

JCR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    I seem to find a deal in the used section about every 50 times I stop at Gander.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I recommend going to Gander Mtn. to see what not to spend on a particular firearm. There prices are through the roof, and the knowledge of the staff is not very accurate.
    If you are looking for guns though I went to MC Sports in Muncie and there gun selection and the knowledge of thier staff is great.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I recommend going to Gander Mtn. to see what not to spend on a particular firearm. There prices are through the roof, and the knowledge of the staff is not very accurate.
    If you are looking for guns though I went to MC Sports in Muncie and there gun selection and the knowledge of thier staff is great.

I've been to the MC Sports in Bloomington, not talked to anyone, so can't comment on their knowledge, but their selection was great, and their prices seemed pretty reasonable, from the ones I was familiar with...

Found a Witness Elite Match their for the same price I paid online, and with shipping and transfer fee vs. sales tax, I'd have come out ahead at MC Sports... Too bad the MC in Columbus doesn't have a guns/hunting section... They'd probably do well if the prices were like Bloomington

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    My one buying experience with Gander Mountain was not a positive one. I stopped in, looked at several of the in-stock Springfield 1911's of one particular model, and picked out the one I wanted. This was in IL, out by Plainfield, so the IL rules applied. Purchased the gun, they did the background check, and when got back to the store after the waiting period, the gun I selected was NOT the gun they wanted to give me! The serial number was on all the papers and everything. They told me that was their policy, you get the gun they say you get, and since they had my money already there wasn't much I could do. Reported it to the BBB, ATF, and GM corporate, but never heard a peep out of anybody again. I'll never buy another gun there.

Specialized

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    My one buying experience with Gander Mountain was not a positive one. I stopped in, looked at several of the in-stock Springfield 1911's of one particular model, and picked out the one I wanted. This was in IL, out by Plainfield, so the IL rules applied. Purchased the gun, they did the background check, and when got back to the store after the waiting period, the gun I selected was NOT the gun they wanted to give me! The serial number was on all the papers and everything. They told me that was their policy, you get the gun they say you get, and since they had my money already there wasn't much I could do. Reported it to the BBB, ATF, and GM corporate, but never heard a peep out of anybody again. I'll never buy another gun there.

Specialized

That's BS The number on the paperwork 4473 has to match the gun your given. I always set the gun aside with the name of customer and the gun was held in that fashion until the form passed and/or expired. Someone screwed up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Love to go in there to paw all over the weapons they have on display. . . . .oh yeah and to laugh at the B.S. the salespeople tend to spew to make the sale.

"Just yesterday I was flipping burgers at McDonalds, today I'm a firearms expert! Thanks Gander Mountain!!!":rockwoot:

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My experiences with Gander are all positive, so far. I've been to the store (86th, while I was living around Castleton up until recently) numerous times, some times as often as every Saturday, to touch and play with guns, especially the one I don't have or could never afford. I've purchased twice, plus had a good learning experience. In 2008 I got my new Buckmark Camper from Bradis, but I couldn't find a spare mag online right away (it came with only one). Gander's price was higher, of course ($32 or $33 I think), but it was available. If I'd only buy a mag online, the shipping would take much of the savings away. I also bought a cheap Uncle Mike Sidekick holster from them couple months later, also slightly more than online price when everything included, but it was convenient...

Lastly, Gander was the place I learned how to disassemble a 1911 properly. I never tried like that before so one time I was there playing with one, I thought I'd find my way around by doing it. The guy let me (maybe didn't realize that I had no idea how to). I pulled out the slide release before taking out the spring plug. When I tried to pull the slide off, the spring got all kinked up and almost shot off it. He was patient with me, didn't say anything to embarrass me. He showed how to take down as well as putting it back. I bought my 1911 shortly after in 2009 (from Bob, PSS). I'll continue browsing frequently and buy occasionally when the price seems reasonable...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Specialized

No offense but that is illegal as all get out. :dunno: If you reported it to the ATF, and no peep? I don't think so... They have to put the gun's information on the sheet at time of background check, so they changed it? Something's not adding up with this story. GM employees are out there, but not THAT dumb...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    No offense but that is illegal as all get out. :dunno: If you reported it to the ATF, and no peep? I don't think so... They have to put the gun's information on the sheet at time of background check, so they changed it? Something's not adding up with this story. GM employees are out there, but not THAT dumb...

What I took away from his story was that the one that he picked out was not the same as the one they had ready for him when he came back and they pointed to the paperwork that they had already done up with the new one's serial numbers already on it as a reason they couldn't switch, when in fact, they just didn't want to switch.

NOBODY is dumb enough to sell one gun and put another gun's serial number on the paperwork. Not even GM...

Top Bottom