GM - no deals and great comments at the gun counter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Gander Mountain is in business to sell. If the consumer isn't smart enough to do a bit of research, it's their problem. As far as the counter guy recommending a specific gun, and the customer buying it, just look at all the posts re "what gun to buy"..... Most of the responses by "experienced" GUN OWNERS involve a specific firearm. Gander Mountain just expects to get paid for their suggestion.

It's kinda like car sales folks.... just because Gomer over here buys a car that should be be obviously passed over, due to the intended use, or Gomer's abilities, shouldn't always adversely reflect on the sales person.

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Pistol I purchased last week for was $107 more at Gander Mountain.

The gun guy told a man I was standing near, a Ruger LCP is the only gun you need and gunfights by CHL holders are never more than 5 rounds. That was all it took and the man purchased it.

I just smiled walked around and looked at discounted stuff and didn't spend a dime.

I paid a fair price for my XD from them and have yet to find another one like it for sale even on gun broker...... It is a 5 inch and the 4 inchers are about $100 less all day long on gun broker so I can't complain much. Yes 99% of the time their prices are nuts but every now and then you see a good or at least fair deal and often see good deals on the used stuff and they will haggle a little on the used stuff.

P.S. for those that think GM is on it's way down the toilet, people still buy firearms and amm from them all day long (ammo tends to be priced even worse sometimes)....... they just don't know any better.... and at least on the south side area I don't know of another place that sells hunting rifles.....

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I went there today to check out a Browning Buck Mark. Their price was $25 more than the one in the classifieds...

Guy was nice. Knew enough about Buck Marks.

The three guys were filling out paperwork for three customers while I was waiting...

One of the guys there once told me that GM makes 50% of their revenues from firearms sales.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I got a fair price for a Pre-64 Model 70 in .264 Win Mag at the Terre Haute store in December. I got a steal on a Ruger 77 MkII in .35 Whelen when they first opened 5 years ago. I usually fondel guns there and buy elsewhere.

I have had more than one conversation with the store manager about their ammo prices. According to him its run by corporate. I told him that I buy my ammo from mail order and he said he didn't blame me. My favorite thing to do is stand in the ammo isle and loudly excliam that I can have it mailed to my house for half the price they are asking.

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I was lucky and was able to get my G19 there for $499. It was right before the G4's came out they had all their Glocks on sale for $499. Also was able to put it into layaway so that helped. But I wont buy anything from them thats not on sale.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have bought a few items at GM. As others have already mentioned their prices are ridiculous. From my perspective they don't seem to realize how big the potential gold mine is they are sitting on. Many outdoorsmen/ women could be hooked into spending a crap ton more money with them if they would bring their prices into line with other stores. Makes you wonder what they are thinking.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Hey Gander Fountain isn't the only box store with outrageous prices. I was at Bass amateur Shop in cincinnati yesterday and noticed they had a price tag on Glock 19's of $679! A guy next to me at the counter said that wasn't a bad price.....I figured he must have been a plant...........

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    Hey Gander Fountain isn't the only box store with outrageous prices. I was at Bass amateur Shop in cincinnati yesterday and noticed they had a price tag on Glock 19's of $679! A guy next to me at the counter said that wasn't a bad price.....I figured he must have been a plant...........

i doubt they plant people to sell things. you did give me a good laugh though. he was prob just a idiot.

you have to buy it on sale and even then it is high some times. they had ammo for 30% off yesterday in terre haute. It was still higher then buying small amounts on line with shipping. i grabbed a box of 50 bmg just to try the brand but 50 plus tax on 10 round box is high still.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I was lucky and was able to get my G19 there for $499. It was right before the G4's came out they had all their Glocks on sale for $499. Also was able to put it into layaway so that helped. But I wont buy anything from them thats not on sale.

sorry mate, but you didn't get lucky....:dunno:

just about every gunshop but Don's and maybe Pop's have a sticker price better than that.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Hey Gander Fountain isn't the only box store with outrageous prices. I was at Bass amateur Shop in cincinnati yesterday and noticed they had a price tag on Glock 19's of $679!

I went to the Bass Pro Shop in Orlando back in 2006, was mostly a walk-in, look around, and walk out. Didn't recall firearm prices back then. Around Sept. or so, went down to the Bass Pro Shops in S. Indiana near Louisville. It seems typical anymore for retail establishments to hike the price of everything. The only times I ever "shop" at Gander Mountain is for little things where the internet prices might be only a dollar or two cheaper, or I have a gift card. Most of my outdoor items in the $50+ range have likely been purchased on-line. Small things like cook stoves and such can usually be found cheaper at places like Walmart or Dicks.

Gander Mountain recently went from a publicly traded company, to a private company. Prior to this, a poster on another forum claimed to work at GM. It wasn't an Indiana store. According to him, there was this big corporate push to hire MBAs to run the company. He said these folks that were being hired were making all the purchasing and pricing decisions from the HQ. He posted that it was a shared belief among the employees that GM was pricing themselves out of their original customer base. GM stock price took a huge hit over the last few years, and their recent privatization makes me wonder what the home office is planning.

Top Bottom