• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I work in an automotive factory which supplies parts to GM, Ford and Chrysler. GM accounts for about 1/3 to 1/2 of our work, and GM has decided to pull their work from our plant, which will result in a 50-60 worker displacement.

I will be among one of those 50-60 workers that will be displaced. The company I work for filed bankruptcy earlier this year, and has been operating solely off of the big 3's funding to build parts banks and such. GM, in all of their recent positive business practices (heavy sarcasm intended) has decided that despite our past record with quality, delivery times and other things, they will be resourcing their work from our plant to another supplier.

We are expecting them to begin removal of their equipment anytime, which means I have no idea when my last day of work will be, but I'm guessing it will be within the next week or two. In the meantime, I will continue to work 58+ hours a week to build up their parts banks and see how it all goes.

From there, it appears that Ford and Chrysler are looking to resource as well, but we may be in luck that the company looking to acquire both of their work project may keep everything here and possibly add more to where GM pulled out. That in itself is good because my father has worked in the plant as a skilled trade worker since it opened in '97. I'm not so much worried about my job and as I am my fathers'.

This should get interesting.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    GM accounts for about 1/3 to 1/2 of our work

That sucks when a company only uses another company to supply 1/3 or half of its business. It never ends well I'm allmost in the same postion we have a gigantic contract but I am allways picking up alot of smaller contracts to counter balance the large one incase they ever leave us.

I hate to hear about your pending job loss. Just work your arse off. I'm sure you will find something just as good or better!!!
    Keep your head up!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Best of luck to you. Pretty sad that we live in a country where contracts and free enterprise have lost any meaning.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That means they are going to outsource to probably Mexico. F'n greedy bastrads. Only care about profit, not about Americans. Best of luck.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm sorry to here that. I'm in a similar situation. I was recently laid off from a company that supplied rear end carriers for the big three. When things went bad they started canceling orders. The only reason the place is still open is because of business from non-automotive companies like John Deere and Caterpillar.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Very sorry to hear that! It is unfortunate that so many people have and are afraid of losing their jobs. I really hope the economy starts to turn around soon. If it has like some are saying then it needs to speed up.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I hope my advice is not too "trite" There a saying that I tell myself quite often and a story to go with the saying.
    Once upon a time a king hired a jewelry maker to make him a ring with an engraved saying on it that would lift him up when he was down and Remind him that he was only human if he got too cocky.
    The saying is, "This to shall pass."
    Keep your head up we'll look for you on the other side.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I hope my advice is not too "trite" There a saying that I tell myself quite often and a story to go with the saying.
    Once upon a time a king hired a jewelry maker to make him a ring with an engraved saying on it that would lift him up when he was down and Remind him that he was only human if he got too cocky.
    The saying is, "This to shall pass."
    Keep your head up we'll look for you on the other side.

DAMN fine advice. No matter what happens, Americans in particular, always have the ingenuity and work ethic to make their lives work. May not be the "American Dream" of being a millionaire, but life marches on and things always get better.

Sorry to hear about the loss. 5 months ago, I was laid off from my company's sales team for a similar situation. Our company's leadership (great guy, terrible in foresight) decided he wanted to sell to GM. They racked up damn near a million in product with us, then Saturn began to fold and didnt pay up, but kept racking up product purchases (and the leadership decided to let them do it). The company decided that it was profitable to cut their salesteam during the recession instead of getting rid of machinery that other companies wanted and we didnt use at all.

Companies are doing what is "best for them" instead of the folks doing all the work for the few that own it. Alot of these small companies are private venture that have individuals, not conglomerates, at their top. They sleep too, but are unburdened with the day to day as we are. They are comfortable upon thrones of unscrupable power and dont care. Sad things. Not all, but some.

Chug through man. If your family is not entrenched in Indiana, this is a PRIME reason to maybe relocate! Find a place that will take you (things are getting better) and move on in life. Also, this is a good reason to analyze life and maybe stay out of the automotive market. They suck!:xmad:

Also, realize that you are better than the greaseballs running your customer's companies. You are better than you think you are. You are better and more talented than the market will give you credit for. Get out there, be confident, be capable and most of all, be flexible! Adapt and overcome. I met you and I know a winner when I see it. Never for once think of yourself as a loser in ANY aspect. In fact, you are the winner in this situation as it opens a new door for you into a new chapter in your life. Get out there and kick some ass me amigo!

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    That means they are going to outsource to probably Mexico. F'n greedy bastrads. Only care about profit, not about Americans. Best of luck.

They have been careful not to use the word "outsource". The company that is going to purchase the rights to supply the parts is headed out of Canada, but either way it's still heading out of the country.

I've never been one to get down in the dumps about anything, and I've got one of the most positive attitudes at work. The way I see it, the work is still here, so I'm working. Sure, there are reasons to worry about what's going to happen, but all you can do is worry. Most people are doing just that and not looking for anything else.

There are also those who have decided that since they are losing their jobs, they will work at whatever pace they want to, which is extremely frustrating to me.

So anywho, I'm optimistic that things will work themselves out whether at my current job or away from it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

But they will still shout "buy American" even when many like Toyota and Hundai have factories here and get parts from American companies are still considered "foreign cars" to them.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Buy American

I still shout buy American
    They may be made here ( Toyota,Hyndai ,Honda ) the profits are still going overseas to the home of these makers
    we are selling ourselves out in this Country BIG TIME
    If another world war happens we are in deep Sh-t
    Hummer maker of Army Vehicles owned by Chinese Company
    Fighter Jet parts made in Japan
    Military handgun( Beretta ) owned by Italian Company
    Not to mention other military used componets made by foregin owned companies

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Hummer does not make military vehicles, AM General makes them and they are not being sold.

The H2 name and marketing were owned by GM, the H3 was a pure GM vehicle.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I still shout buy American
    They may be made here ( Toyota,Hyndai ,Honda ) the profits are still going overseas to the home of these makers
    we are selling ourselves out in this Country BIG TIME
    If another world war happens we are in deep Sh-t
    Hummer maker of Army Vehicles owned by Chinese Company
    Fighter Jet parts made in Japan
    Military handgun( Beretta ) owned by Italian Company
    Not to mention other military used componets made by foregin owned companies

To me, who gives a crap about the "Profits"? Name the last time GM, Ford, Chrysler gave you a rebate check for the car you bought from them? I have always bought GM over the years and have been rewarded, year after year, with seeing the domestic parts content of my car or truck dropping. My last one was assembled in CANADA with 30% USA parts! Compare that to my neighbors brand new Honda that is assembled in Ohio with 80% American parts. Hmmmm. Let me think about this.

BUY AMERICAN means look for what is supporting AMERICAN JOBS. You have never been a recipient of corporate profits but you do profit from American assembly and content.

Also, the previous poster is correct, Hummer was a GM brand that has NOTHING to do with AM General who makes military vehicles in Northern IN

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    n1433850197_30066321_6750.jpg

silvytundra1uz6.jpg

I didn't write the captions, I'm just passing along the visual for your own evaluation but it appears to me when you absolutely, with out a doubt have to get a load of crap to the next destination on time, with out hesitation, it looks to me like Toyota racing turns to a Chevy Silverado to do their heavy lifting.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I worked forty-two years in manufacturing, half this time supplying second tier automotive suppliers to the big three and all I can say is most are scum bags and have no loyalty to suppliers. They can waste money day in and day out but will void contracts and move part orders for a half cent a part savings after you have bent over backwards for years to please your customer. I would never work in the automotive industry again and I hate to see how much worse it will become now that the government idiots are involved.

I bought American cars up to 2001 when I bought my first Honda and will never buy a big three vehicle again. There is no comparison with the quality and service; it is easy to see why the big three went down the sewer. Don't even mention the UAW; I don't have enough time to address that subject.

Top Bottom