• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reason you can't set the timing like a normal distributor is it's not really a distributor.

It is only a secondary "high voltage" switch.

The primary" low voltage" sensor and module are not in this unit.

The crank sensor in conjunction with the ignition module and the pcm actually determin timing.
    The " distributor" switch was to be in time with the primary circut to be in time with the mechanics of the engine.
    Scanning it and adjusting it untill your spark retard parameter = 0 is the only way to get it back in time.

This is what I was referring to on getting the timing right.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    For cam retard 0 is ideal plus or minus 1or 2 is ok when you get up around 5or6 it will affect running.
    If you have noise it is either way off by 10 or more, or something went down an intake runner.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    As always, INGO comes through! I will let you all know what I find out tomorrow. Here's to hoping I didn't do something stOOpid.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The intake was not leaking internally. The fitting for the heater hose was leaking, I went to replace it, and broke the intake in the process. It has about 125k on it. I think I'll go pull the plugs on the right side, since that a appears to be where the noise is coming from.

Ahhhh yes, the inglorious pot aluminum fitting corroded and crapped out.

I was lucky on my 98 Z71 extended cab, it started leaking under my 7 year/100,000 extended warranty I bought. Between that and my internal tank fuel pump going bad (sounded like a Pratt & Whitney jet turbo firing up) I saved a ton of money for that $500.00 cost to buy that policy.

BTW, wouldn't sound like a collapsed lifter would it?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The reason you can't set the timing like a normal distributor is it's not really a distributor.

It is only a secondary "high voltage" switch.

The primary" low voltage" sensor and module are not in this unit.

The crank sensor in conjunction with the ignition module and the pcm actually determin timing.
    The " distributor" switch was to be in time with the primary circut to be in time with the mechanics of the engine.
    Scanning it and adjusting it untill your spark retard parameter = 0 is the only way to get it back in time.
    +1 I guarantee this is the problem and the noise you are hearing is spark knock.
    I have a 99 GMC Sierra Vin R 5.7l (same as yours) and there is no way in heck you got that distributor in place without using a scanner and adjusting it then checking until your count is +/- 1. At +/- 8-10 it will start but not run correctly. You HAVE TO get that count as close to 0 as possible. There is a delay after you make an adjustment so you have to wait for a updated count about 15 secs or so after you adjust. Your engine computer (PCM) determines the "ignition advance" and adjusts its pulses to your ignition module accordingly. The ignition module is nothing more than a solid state electronic replacement of fixed breaker points. When the ignition module loses its pulse from the PCM the 12vdc on the low side collapses the magnetic field in the ignition coil which induces a voltage into the secondary (High side) of the ignition coil which is around 23,000 volts which is seeking ground and that happens to be the end of your spark plug(s). This is the only way to use a transformer(ignition coil is a transformer) with DC current. This happens hundreds to thousands of times a minute depending on the engine rpm.

If YOU DID NOT replace those intake gaskets with the felpro problem solvers which have a sheet of metal sandwiched in between gasket you WILL be dealing with a leak AGAIN! Trust me! Spend the extra $20 on those! The factory intake gaskets on the vin r 5.7l have been a known problem for many many years now. My vin r now has 265K miles on it and is still going...so I must be doing something right. ;)

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    +1 I guarantee this is the problem and the noise you are hearing is spark knock.
    I have a 99 GMC Sierra Vin R 5.7l (same as yours) and there is no way in heck you got that distributor in place without using a scanner and adjusting it then checking until your count is +/- 1. At +/- 8-10 it will start but not run correctly. You HAVE TO get that count as close to 0 as possible. There is a delay after you make an adjustment so you have to wait for a updated count about 15 secs or so after you adjust. Your engine computer (PCM) determines the "ignition advance" and adjusts its pulses to your ignition module accordingly. The ignition module is nothing more than a solid state electronic replacement of fixed breaker points. When the ignition module loses its pulse from the PCM the 12vdc on the low side collapses the magnetic field in the ignition coil which induces a voltage into the secondary (High side) of the ignition coil which is around 23,000 volts which is seeking ground and that happens to be the end of your spark plug(s). This is the only way to use a transformer(ignition coil is a transformer) with DC current. This happens hundreds to thousands of times a minute depending on the engine rpm.

If YOU DID NOT replace those intake gaskets with the felpro problem solvers which have a sheet of metal sandwiched in between gasket you WILL be dealing with a leak AGAIN! Trust me! Spend the extra $20 on those! The factory intake gaskets on the vin r 5.7l have been a known problem for many many years now. My vin r now has 265K miles on it and is still going...so I must be doing something right. ;)

Yes, I did use the felpro problem solver set, both times. This is not a job that I wanted to do over.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I pulled the upper plenum off of the intake, and found this. It is magnetic, but I have no clue what it is or how it found its way into the intake. After finding it, I still have a the noise, I have audio, but no way to upload it here. Any thoughts?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    My guess would be the rest of whatever that is is still in one of your cylinders,if it is not beating up a plug it could be fused to the top of the piston and hitting the head every time it comes up.
    If you know of a shop with a borescope you could borrow or rent it might be worth a look to see if you can find it through a spark plug hole.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My guess would be the rest of whatever that is is still in one of your cylinders,if it is not beating up a plug it could be fused to the top of the piston and hitting the head every time it comes up.
    If you know of a shop with a borescope you could borrow or rent it might be worth a look to see if you can find it through a spark plug hole.

I stopped at his house today and it is bad enough that the head has to come off. It is a sharp regular hit on every stroke so you are correct sir....we have a winner.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    That looks like molten aluminum. As in what your pistons are made of. Detonation/Pre-Ignition aka Spark Knock will melt the crowns of your pistons. I bet you got more on your hands than just pulling a head and removing the pieces that arent suppose to be in there. OUCH! A GM 5.7L Crate motor will run you around $2300 plus tax.
    I pulled the upper plenum off of the intake, and found this. It is magnetic, but I have no clue what it is or how it found its way into the intake. After finding it, I still have a the noise, I have audio, but no way to upload it here. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom